Widgets Magazine
Page 15 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Uber coming to OKC

Default Re: Uber coming to OKC

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    Try that with a cab company.
    But according to the cab companies, Uber is providing the public with unclear and hazy, and extremely unsafe transportation options...

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    But according to the cab companies, Uber is providing the public with unclear and hazy, and extremely unsafe transportation options...
    Yep. When you can't compete - lie and scare.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    Yep. When you can't compete - lie and scare.
    It's the American Way . . . of advertising everything from pharmaceuticals to political candidates to foreign policy . . .
    Well . . . Ain't it?

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    It's the American Way . . . of advertising everything from pharmaceuticals to political candidates to foreign policy . . .
    Well . . . Ain't it?
    Yes it is. Fear is a great motivator. We have nothing to fear except the protection from fear itself.

Just received notice that Uber has added turn-by-turn navigation to their driver's app.

Also, here in L.A. drivers are now required to post a "U" in their windshield identifying when a vehicle is on-line with the Uber system.

This is a compromise struck with local authorities, and I think a fair one.

Quote Originally Posted by Sid Burgess View Post
    They've been doing the U here in Seattle and I like it. Makes it faster for locating the car on a busy street anyway.
    I think it will be better for the drivers too (to be seen).

Far better than that silly pink mustache Lyft uses. I know helps create awareness and visibility, but I'm approved to drive for them as well but won't do it because of that awful thing.

Oklahoma City traffic commission approves regulating app-based ride services | News OK

The regulations would require that:

Vehicles providing app-based services be inspected for safety by the city.

The vehicles display “trade dress” for identification purposes, similar to the way a taxi has distinctive colors.

The city receive proof of insurance that meets liability requirements.

Drivers undergo background checks at least as stringent as the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation checks for taxi and limo drivers.

Companies and their drivers provide only app-based services; “street hails” — when a customer flags down a cab — would be forbidden.

Companies be licensed annually by the city; drivers would be required to get an annual permit.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Just received notice that Uber has added turn-by-turn navigation to their driver's app.

Also, here in L.A. drivers are now required to post a "U" in their windshield identifying when a vehicle is on-line with the Uber system.

This is a compromise struck with local authorities, and I think a fair one.
    Hopefully they'd oiling other cities. Had a heck of a hard time finding our driver last night in boston. Must have been 20 different black cars.

Oklahoma City traffic commission approves regulating app-based ride services | News OK

The vehicles display “trade dress” for identification purposes, similar to the way a taxi has distinctive colors.

Drivers undergo background checks at least as stringent as the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation checks for taxi and limo drivers.

Companies and their drivers provide only app-based services; “street hails” — when a customer flags down a cab — would be forbidden.

Companies be licensed annually by the city; drivers would be required to get an annual permit.
    I watched the traffic commission yesterday. it seems the big one on that list is the company being licensed. it almost seems like the city does not believe the companies will apply for license at all and it almost appeared that was what they hope. but I could be wrong.

all the other factors seemed to be in line.. the background checks done appeared to be better than what the city does, the trade dress says the moustache and U for uber are sufficient and the insurance seems to be in line.
    I am curious what comes of this and I hope it doesn't run off UBER and Lyft

I think this is all pretty similar to the agreements here in L.A.

The only part a little unclear is the "company licensed by the city" and "vehicles be inspected for safety by the city".

They require safety inspections out here but it's done through a clearing house, not directly with a particular city. You basically take your care to be inspected at Uber contractor and all that info is then put in a database. Makes particular sense because this isn't a City issue; Uber drivers cross in and out of all types of municipalities.

Sounds like these are things Uber already has in place, but now the city wants to put their hands on it, too.

Hope this doesn't run them away like you said.

Traditional cab companies need to just die. They are like the cable companies of transportation.

Funny the cab companies want Uber & Lyft to be treated just like them, but at the same time want a specific prohibition on "hailed rides".

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Sounds like these are things Uber already has in place, but now the city wants to put their hands on it, too.

Hope this doesn't run them away like you said.

Traditional cab companies need to just die. They are like the cable companies of transportation.
    The lady from Yellow Cab was at the Commission meeting and in tears that she believes she is being unfairly treated and not able to compete. she claims she can do everything that Uber can do if the city would let her. she also stated that towns like Austin have ran UBER out of their cities and to look to those cities.... which made me think immediately.. ummm its impossible to get a cab in Austin and I am always sad that Uber isn't an option there.

I ask this sincerely: is there a regulatory reason why a local cab company couldn't develop a competing system?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Cotter View Post
    I ask this sincerely: is there a regulatory reason why a local cab company couldn't develop a competing system?
    while watching that yesterday I wondered the same. I admittedly don't know that much about the cab regulations but from the sounds of it they are required to discolose pricing to the city as so they can't price gouge.. which is one of the complaints they ahve about UBER is that they can change rates but of course the consumer sees the rate before they request the car.

but if they can't simply develop a competing system.. why not just re-organize yourself into a "Platform" business model rather than a cab company.

^

I don't think there is anything stopping the cab companies from competing outright except they don't have the software or know-how to make it happen. Of course, a bright entrepreneur would be developing software they could license. I'm sure that is already happening.

But the real truth is that they'll never be able to compete for the same reason people leave cable companies: Once you've screwed over your customer base with monopolistic tactics and horrible service they will flee to anyone else at the earliest opportunity. It's like throwing the doors open to a jail then expecting prisoners to stay on their own free will.

Cab companies don't want to compete heads-up because they know it will be the end for them. Of course, the end is coming anyway. They are just stalling for time.

The lady from yellow cab said she has an app that is coming online later this week ( which I doubt )
    but an app alone to hail a cab is not going to change things.. because as you said once you've screwed over your customer base and have for years provided sub-par service without apology then nobody cares that you have an app.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Cotter View Post
    UberTAXI all ready exist. All the local cab company has to do is sign up with it.

That seems reasonable and I hope they let Uber pick up at the airport as part of the deal. I will say that the "street hail" being forbidden doesn't even make sense. It is impossible to hail an Uber ride from the street. You might could hail a random stranger who happens to be an Uber driver, but you have to request the ride through the app. That is how the Uber driver gets paid.

21. Default Re: Uber coming to OKC

Flywheel also exists. Thunder Cab now uses it. From a user standpoint it is incredibly similar to UberX, but you get a cab instead of a private car and you pay more. Also, the tip is elective and filled out at the end of the trip, while UberX allows you to set up a standard tip in your settings and doesn't prompt you for a tip at the end.

You can't tip UberX drivers through the app. I run into this all the time. If you want to tip an UberX drive you have to do it with cash. The tip you setup in the app is only for Taxi drivers, not UberX drivers.

If you think you have been tipping you driver, you haven't been.

23. Default Re: Uber coming to OKC

Hmm. Well, too bad for them I guess. They seemed happy enough with 5 stars, so I guess I will keep doing that.

Nevertheless, Flywheel is a pretty close approximation of Uber for Taxi cabs. Between those two I have never had a problem getting around, though I prefer Uber for price reasons. I tried Lyft once, but couldn't find a ride despite repeated attempts, until I finally got a response from a guy on the far south side and something like 25 minutes away, which I immediately cancelled.

I don't know why some of the good drivers don't just switch to Uber or Lyft?

If you're a waiter, and the restaurant is crap, and across the street you can take your knowledge and make 3x more and your customers would love you, why wouldn't you?

Then again, I'm not sure how many of the cab drivers are good. I've never had a great experience in a cab, and have yet to try Uber so I can't make an informed comparison.

Last year in Los Angeles, Urban Pioneer and I shared a cab to the Amtrak station, and the cabbie drove 3-4 miles in the wrong direction before we caught on and told him to go the other way. He argued with us for a bit, and was intent that we were wrong. we were watching the GPS on our phones and knew we were going the wrong direction. We finally convinced him to turn around, and we got to the train station and sprinted to our train with the doors shutting behind us. Poor service.

In Santa Monica, a cabbie told me to "F off" after I got out of the cab. It was a short 2.5 mile ride, and I even gave him a 50% tip to make up for the short trip and late hour it was.

I think they realize they can't compete on service; it's unfortunate they cry to the government instead of competing with better service and friendlier people.

Thread Information