Widgets Magazine
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Bars/restaurants that are sorely missed

Default Re: Bars/restaurants that are sorely missed

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    Soonergeezer,
    Zamudio's was a really good Mexican restaurant. We ate there for lunch quite often and my family enjoyed them at dinner time.
    C. T.
    I worked out in MWC in the late 70s, and I probably ate at Zamudio's 3 times a week. When Mr and Mrs Zamudio were alive the place was unbeatable for Mexican. They served fried ice cream, it was one of my favorite desserts all time. Everything fresh and homemade, Damn I would kill to be sitting there eating chips and salsa waiting on my order.

I'm almost positive that After The Goldrush was at I-240 and Penn in the strip mall. It was near/next to Sound Warehouse.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    That's funny, I ran into him in exactly the same location. I had to do a double take. I know there was a place calling itself Samurai on NW 23rd near Penn, and always wondered if there was a connection. Not sure if it is still there.

Gotta say, Samurai was one of a kind. Saw some great shows there. And despite never having a security guard, I never saw trouble get out of hand. If you ever saw Ichiro usher a troublemaker out the door, you know exactly what I am talking about. It bordered on supernatural. Minor-looking finger pokes in the chest that would make someone bounce backward three feet with each poke.
    I took Karate from before the Samurai was open, and he was one bad dude. Not only was he a highly ranked black belt, but he was incredibly strong. There was no need for security when he was around. There was one other Karate instructor I had that was unbelievable in marital arts, Jack Hwang. I saw him take on 7 people in a bar once, no contest. within 3 minutes he was the only one standing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tavia View Post
    I'm almost positive that After The Goldrush was at I-240 and Penn in the strip mall. It was near/next to Sound Warehouse.
    I believe you are correct.

Quote Originally Posted by soonergeezer View Post
    I took Karate from before the Samurai was open, and he was one bad dude. Not only was he a highly ranked black belt, but he was incredibly strong. There was no need for security when he was around. There was one other Karate instructor I had that was unbelievable in marital arts, Jack Hwang. I saw him take on 7 people in a bar once, no contest. within 3 minutes he was the only one standing.
    So did I.....
    I still have a signed picture from Ichiro somewhere around here.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    That's funny, I ran into him in exactly the same location. I had to do a double take. I know there was a place calling itself Samurai on NW 23rd near Penn, and always wondered if there was a connection. Not sure if it is still there.

Not related at all.. I asked when I first started eating there. its a great little sushi place however. They do a pretty good business for only having about 7 tables and do a BIG carry out business.. Great Sushi!

In the early 80s I worked the door at a club called Mardees, in the Springdale shopping center. I haven't heard anyone mention this place but it was there Several years, and was pretty popular(good food, and dance floor) The house band was called Magic(not sure of the spelling). There was a guy in the band whose name was Benny Garcia. One night he asked me if I wanted to go to a party after closing. So we went to a house where the party was and He introduced me to a guy named Vince Gill. I had no idea who he was he just told me he was a musician. A few years later he became famous and I remembered meeting him. Never would have imagined him becoming a star, he was very quiet and laid back person.

8. Default Re: Bars/restaurants that are sorely missed

I saw him usher a dude - a BIG dude - out one night, and the look on the guy's face was priceless. We probably had the same shocked expression on our faces too. It honestly looked like Ichiro was mildly poking him in the chest. Taps, like you would do when poking someone in the chest to make a point when talking to them. It looked like hardly any effort at all. Every time he poked the guy, the dude was flung backward violently 2-3 feet...right out the front door. I would never have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes. It was fast too. FAST.

Sorely missed? Dan McGuinness in Moore. Excited to see it reborn as Okie Tonk.

Quote Originally Posted by Tavia View Post
    Yup, it was between the Sound Warehouse and Service Merchandise, saw a few big bands there that were on washed up tours....Three Dog Night, Iron Butterfly, Quicksilver Messenger Service

We often drove from Midwest City to Ouy Lin's Chinese restaurant at 12th and N. Penn. We always loved the food but our favorite memory of the place is the night two waitresses got in an argument and pretty much ignored our table. We left a tip of two cents!

There were also some others that worked there in the early Samurai days that had trained under him, they just didn't advertise the security they had in place. A bunch of us from Sound Warehouse next door hung out there quite a bit when he first opened up the bar area, before opening it up to the restaurant side. Rick from Charlie's and I worked to get the big screen working after he bought it, we were paid in drinks and food. Some of the late night going back into the kitchen with some of the cooks was some of the best food that I have had. I didn't go there as much once it became popular and became mostly bar.

My late wife and I enjoyed "El Patio" while we were dating and when we came home on leave from the Navy. I thought it was around 5th and S. Walker though. When our leave was over, we bought three or four quarts of their salsa and took it back to Maryland. There was no Mexican food in that area. This was in 1965-1968 and there weren't any fast food Mexican or Mexican restaurants at all. Dianna made tacos and enchiladas and of course we used the salsa until we ran out. We did find a fairly good "El Paso" brand substitute in the commissary.
    C. T.
    Ann's is still there ate there just last week, still pretty good.

Soonergeezer,
    I like spicy things and their regular salsa was pretty warm, it's the only thing my wife didn't like about Zamudio's, but I loved it.
    C. T.
    I worked out in MWC in the late 70s, and I probably ate at Zamudio's 3 times a week. When Mr and Mrs Zamudio were alive the place was unbeatable for Mexican. They served fried ice cream, it was one of my favorite desserts all time. Everything fresh and homemade, Damn I would kill to be sitting there eating chips and salsa waiting on my order.

Soonergeezer,
    I like spicy things and their regular salsa was pretty warm, it's the only thing my wife didn't like about Zamudio's, but I loved it.
    C. T.
    I can say that every time I ate there the food was excellent. I also ate at the one in Ada and it was just as good. I really miss that place more than anywhere I've ever eaten.

Prunepicker Guest

I passed NW 30 & Classen last week and noticed the entire southwest
    corner had been razed.

The Blue Goose was there for years.

Prunepicker,
    Pm me if you can, I can't pm you.
    Thanks,
    C. T.

Prunepicker Guest

Prunepicker,
    Pm me if you can, I can't pm you.
    Thanks,
    C. T.
    I can't pm either. Don't know what's up with that.

Prunepicker,
    I will drop a note off at your Saturday gig. I know your name, so I will leave it there with my information, name, phone number, and email address.
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    I can't pm either. Don't know what's up with that.

Prunepicker Guest

Prunepicker,
    I will drop a note off at your Saturday gig. I know your name, so I will leave
    it there with my information, name, phone number, and email address.
    C. T.
    Great!

Quote Originally Posted by twinkles View Post
    I'm pretty sure that the man who started Nino's came from the El Chico on Paseo (and maybe El Charrito, even). And that was our progression with Mexican food - El Charrito downtown, then El Chico on Paseo, and then Nino's on the south side. We tried to go to whatever Nino's Mr. Nino was working at (sorry, I never knew that gentleman's name). They were always good. Unfortunately, we haven't found a Mexican restaurant in ten years that is as good to us as those restaurants were - we just make TexMex at home and endure.

Is it my imagination (or have I gotten crabbier the older I get - YES) but does it seem to anyone else that the TexMex (or OklaMex) places have gone NUTS with cilantro?? I just can't stand going out to eat TexMex any more because of it.
    There's a bunch of yellow tape on the property around the vacant Ninos restaurant on south Western. Did the property sell?

Quote Originally Posted by Dubya61 View Post
    There's a bunch of yellow tape on the property around the vacant Ninos restaurant on south Western. Did the property sell?
    Yes, sold to a local investor last months.

No building or demo permits yet, though. No idea what the plans may be.

noticed this past weekend that the south western nino's was demolished. -M

Quote Originally Posted by Redskins/General View Post
    I think only the kiddies from Moore School District used crack pipes!
    Yea, but Oklahoma city School district has lots of CRACKED PIPES!

Shakey's Pizza buffet. Nice Pizza, best fried chicken and potato wedges. All for about 3 bucks.

Thread Information