Widgets Magazine
Page 15 of 103 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192065 ... LastLast

Thread: Omni Hotel

Default Re: Convention Hotel

The NewsOK comments on this article are pretty much universally negative. Does anybody foresee a public backlash against MAPS over the convention center and hotel? Those who are informed understand why OKC needs a convention center, a new hotel, and what it all will bring to the city but most average joes don't understand why the Cox center isn't good enough. Unlike the Ford Center, the new convention center doesn't bring tangible benefits to OKC residents either which I think is a big deal. Thoughs?

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    The NewsOK comments on this article are pretty much universally negative. Does anybody foresee a public backlash against MAPS over the convention center and hotel? Those who are informed understand why OKC needs a convention center, a new hotel, and what it all will bring to the city but most average joes don't understand why the Cox center isn't good enough. Unlike the Ford Center, the new convention center doesn't bring tangible benefits to OKC residents either which I think is a big deal. Thoughs?
    Don't read the comments section of the Oklahoman if you value your sanity. It is not representative of anything.

Any news on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Any news on this?
    See post #349.

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    See post #349.
    ah, it is Tuesday, I thought it was going to be updated today.

MFracas84 Guest

nm

Quote Originally Posted by MFracas84 View Post
    I am not sure anyone's opinion really matters if you are referring to whether we build them or not because they must be built or there will be a betrayal of the voter's trust. The people voted for the convention center and to not build it after taking their taxes to pay for it would be a crime in my book.
    I think more of the backlash will come with the building of the hotel since that wasn't on the ballot but will be paid for by the taxpayers, somehow. I am absolutely for building the convention center hotel because we need it, but I could see this decision affecting future MAPS votes.

I don't understand how it will affect future MAPS votes if the hotel had absolutely nothing to do with the original MAPS3 vote. I knew there was going to be additional phases(expansions) as it was clearly written.

I think more of the backlash will come with the building of the hotel since that wasn't on the ballot but will be paid for by the taxpayers, somehow. I am absolutely for building the convention center hotel because we need it, but I could see this decision affecting future MAPS votes.
    Right, the issue is that the funding for the hotel -- at best -- was handled in a less than straight-forward way.

Now, it's being presented as a must-have to make the Convention Center a success, yet many feel this wasn't properly communicated prior to the MAPS 3 vote.

Will be very interesting to see what Cathy O'Connor has to say about this in tomorrow's council meeting.

Just watched the video of today's meeting where Cathy O'Connor and the consultant presented on this subject.

They had conducted a series of interviews with downtown stakeholders to get their feedback. The consensus was that people wanted a name brand and something not currently in the market (Omni, etc.) and that there were great concerns about parking and some other issues.

They also took a look at how other cities have made such hotels happen and their research showed it was all over the map, between completely public and completely private, and everywhere in between.

They have created a pro forma to run through various scenarios based on construction and operating costs and revenues.

The next step is to issue an RFP late this year or early next year with a 90 to 120 day response time. The consultant said that he expected between 7 to 10 responses, from both developers (who would obtain a hotel franchise) or the hotel companies themselves. But of course, most of these would be seeking substantial public assistance.

Because there would be at least TIF dollars or other public funds, the City would also have to decide how much, if any, ownership they would want to retain in the project.

They said city-wide occupancy is still running at 77% but they would have to factor in lots of different occupancy scenarios when evaluating the proposals. Obviously, that's the biggest variable in any projection.

Once the RFP responses are received, then the Alliance and the paid consultant will run the numbers through the pro forma model and then have a better idea of what type of public investment is likely to be needed.

The RFP does not commit the City to do anything; it's more an attempt to gauge interest and come up with an approximate budget and plan that could then be presented to City Council for further action.

I suspect the responses would help them come up with a general plan (X in TIF, X in other public funds) then ask for final proposals based on that.

Pete, in your experience, what would a hotel like this run? $200 million? $500 million? What kind of assistance do you see the city willing to put up?

Pete, in your experience, what would a hotel like this run? $200 million? $500 million? What kind of assistance do you see the city willing to put up?
    Based on what other cities have done, for our targeted 735 rooms, it would probably be a total of about $300 million.

And I would expect public assistance in the $50-$100 million range.

13. Default Re: Convention Hotel

Okay, so with the Skirvin at 225 rooms, 168 ft tall, and 13 floors above ground level, a hotel with roughly the same floor plate at 16 ft per floor at 735 rooms would equate to about 42 floors at 680 ft tall.

I'll take one of those, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Thundercitizen View Post
    Okay, so with the Skirvin at 225 rooms, 168 ft tall, and 13 floors above ground level, a hotel with roughly the same floor plate at 16 ft per floor at 735 rooms would equate to about 42 floors at 680 ft tall.

And don't forget added meeting space which could increase the height.

Plans were released a month or so ago for a 600 room Omni in Louisville with an upscale grocery store, 200 unit apartment complex and a 850 space parking garage for $261 million. That will give you a little context of total cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Thundercitizen View Post

Yes, please!

This obsession with parking mystifies me a bit. Do the majority of convention attenders drive a car? I know I don't. The last thing I want to do is drive in a strange city. Of course we don't have decent public transit, but the streetcar will certainly make getting around to restaurants, etc, simple for convention-goers and it should be done before the convention center.

Blog Entries

Given that a significant number of events hosted will be local and regional, I would think parking is AN issue, but maybe not THE issue. Every large convention center I go to has tons of parking...usually structured... associated with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Given that a significant number of events hosted will be local and regional, I would think parking is AN issue, but maybe not THE issue. Every large convention center I go to has tons of parking...usually structured... associated with it.
    Good point, even going to a state convention here at the Cox takes up a ton of parking outside of the buried garage. Structured parking attached to the CC will hopefully free up more spaces throughout the surrounding area for locals who want to attend downtown eateries, bars and attractions (the horror, those darn non-downtowners driving their ugly cars to come see things).

Keep in mind there is exactly zero parking budgeted for the Convention Center.

All the studies have recommended multiple immediately adjacent garages but I've yet to hear how these will be paid for.

Blog Entries

Latest on convention center hotel developers in major cities: Salt Lake City, UT & Evansville, IN

Salt Lake City: Utah leaders say. Any proposed hotel must be within 1,000 feet of the Salt Palace Convention Center and feature 800 to 1,000 rooms and meeting space.

Salt Lake convention hotel attracts developers: Salt Lake convention hotel attracts developers | The Salt Lake Tribune

Evansville: The Hotel component, The Evansville DoubleTree Convention Center Hotel, will have 257 units; 253 standard rooms, 3 suites and 1 presidential unit.

Doubletree selected for convention center hotel in Evansville, IN: https://www.insideindianabusiness.co...m.asp?ID=67349

Could Oklahoma City's recent downtown development announcements influence interest in developers among major hotel chains?

32 story - 385 ft., 532 room - Omni in San Diego . . . . . 42 story - 507 ft., 733 room - Sheraton in Kansas City
    A 500- to 800-room hotel with meeting space would extend the convention center's footprint and increase flexibility for groups planning conventions.
    Oklahoma City will study subsidy, developers for MAPS center hotel http://oklahoman.com/oklahoma-city-c...rticle/5348411

23. Default Re: Convention Hotel

Here is Indy's new Convention hotel. Topping off planned for JW Marriott hotel

Note it includes a 34-storey JW Marriott & several other lower Marriott brands. I like this idea and would love for OKC to have this OR a twin tower hotel complex (one Marriott, one Hyatt/Omni/Westin).
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Interesting comment by Steve in this week's chat:

10:56 Comment From Sooner Than Later
    In your last Tuesday article "taking reality check..." you stated another tower will be announced in one sentence. Then you stated, "a deal that will make a conference hotel seem far less of a stretch politically than believed will emerge." Are you able to explain this statement a bit more? I'm a little confused reading this.

10:57 Steve Lackmeyer:
    I don't think financing a conference hotel will be as difficult as people assume.

Blog Entries

Interesting comment by Steve in this week's chat:

10:56 Comment From Sooner Than Later
    In your last Tuesday article "taking reality check..." you stated another tower will be announced in one sentence. Then you stated, "a deal that will make a conference hotel seem far less of a stretch politically than believed will emerge." Are you able to explain this statement a bit more? I'm a little confused reading this.

10:57 Steve Lackmeyer:
    I don't think financing a conference hotel will be as difficult as people assume.
    Let's hope that the case. Steve does have a good feel about the developments headed toward OKC, he's there in the trenches.

Thread Information