Widgets Magazine
Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Bus Rapid Transit (BRT)

Default Re: Bus Rapid Transit (BRT)

Problem is no regional transit authority for the bus system. Suburbs want nothing to do with buses because they think it brings poor people to their city. Our transit can never grow till we get rid of that mindset.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Public meetings will soon be held to determine alignments for additional “BRT” lines:

https://www.velocityokc.com/blog/eco...ack=super_blog
    Exciting. I recently asked a city council person what the timeline is for additional routes and unfortunately they are years away. That's because the funding source, MAPS, requires pay as you go.

This system would really increase adoption and usage if these routes came online at roughly the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by the michigander View Post
    Problem is no regional transit authority for the bus system. Suburbs want nothing to do with buses because they think it brings poor people to their city. Our transit can never grow till we get rid of that mindset.
    We do have an RTA, it's just not fully activated yet. But it's happening.

From left to right: Oklahoma City Councilperson James Cooper, Trustee Bernard Semtner III, Mayor David Holt, FTA Administrator Gail Lyssy, Assistant City Manager and EMBARK Administrator Jason Ferbrache.
    BRT groundbreaking ceremony.

These are the folks who should encourage the use of BRT and public transit. They could do this by actually using the system.

Blog Entries

Interesting. Where is that survey? I’ve lived in suburbs here for 40 years and never heard anyone express that opinion. Have your friends told this is their opinion?

Explain why there is no bus service in Moore. Also explain why the Rte 5 goes around Nicholas hills and the village but not thru it.

Explain why there is no bus service in Moore. Also explain why the Rte 5 goes around Nicholas hills and the village but not thru it.
    moore doesn't see it as a need ..

Nicholas hills doesn't want any bus service ..

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    moore doesn't see it as a need ..

Nicholas hills doesn't want any bus service ..
    Moore actually does see a need as it has said it will explore operating its own bus service after it pulled out of the RTA plan. Bus service in Nichols Hills makes absolutely zero sense.

I know a few people who live in Moore who said the city wants to keep out undesirables and that's why there no bus service.

Also it makes no sense to go around Nicholas hills or the village when a bus could go straight up penn. Also I'd moore has its own bus service it defeats the purpose of a rta. A rta is all the cities working together as one for transportation. Edmond having its own bus service doesn't make any sense neither does moore exploring the possibility. It just balkanizes the area even moore

Moore actually does see a need as it has said it will explore operating its own bus service after it pulled out of the RTA plan. Bus service in Nichols Hills makes absolutely zero sense.
    Moore "pulling out of the RTA plan" is the most Moore thing ever. It will never get service on par with service it would have as part of RTA. To me it's an indication that stakeholders didn't feel confident about getting the support of voters there. Dumb and shortsighted. Moore if anything strikes me as a city that is growing among the fastest of all OKC suburbs, which means it is probably bringing in folks from other parts of the country that may have a more positive view of public transit.

Who knows? But it's not likely that this gambit is going to lead to any kind of meaningful public transit for Moore.

As for Michigander's comment, who cares if Moore is a part of RTA or not? Its participation or lack thereof is not a harbinger of RTA's ultimate success in Central Oklahoma. It just means Moore citizens will be deprived of transit options due to the intransigence of their city leadership.

I agree it was a very dumb move. I don’t know what the peoples position in Moore is on this as I don’t really pay too much attention other than what I see in articles but why would you vote against having more transportation options? Now you’ll get to see a commuter train pass through your community instead of stopping at a station in yours. I’ll never understand that mindset.

I think the leaders should have stayed in and let the citizens vote on for themselves. Worse that happens is they say no and then Moore isn’t in the final RTA proposal if the other cities vote yes. So why did Moore pull out? Why would they recognize the need for bus service but think it should only be local and cut off from a large metropolitan area it’s part of? Do the city leaders think they’ll get voted out for even asking their constituents for a tax increase to offer commuter rail and bus transit? Or does it have to do with fears that it’ll bring in “rift raft” from OKC?

I really can’t understand how they rationalized pulling out. I could be convinced MWC has a better reason to pull out than Moore does. Still both cities are very shortsighted for doing so but I suspect it was to do with proposed tax rates which I’m sure will be revealed soon.

This isn't unlike the Treasure Coast communities here in Florida that sued to stop Brightline, and are now threatening to sue Brightline again if they don't include a stop along the Treasure Coast. As soon as Moore sees passenger trains running through town they will want back in, but that should come at a cost.

Blog Entries

I don't think the city of Moore has established any bus service themselves. Probably because of size of area to be covered and Moore doesn't have a ton of money. And, I doubt the citizens of Moore have made much of a demand for it. If those who would benefit by it would let the powers that be in Moore know of their interest in a demonstrative way, maybe it would help. Again, I doubt the citizens are as much against it as they are just not for it. Certainly Moore isn't a snobbish city and doesn't have any reason to look down their nose at buses or bus riders.

As for Nichol's hills, they discourage car traffic too.... main streets are extremely low speed. Only through streets are Penn which is narrow, Grand, and Wilshire. None have commercial services located on them, or office or public buildings. I doubt many NH residents prefer the buses. And, I believe the peripheral streets like Western do have bus service. As a separate municipality, I doubt NH has thought bus service is a necessary expense. I doubt they are snobbishly against it, but just see no real reason/justification for the expense.

Blog Entries

I know a few people who live in Moore who said the city wants to keep out undesirables and that's why there no bus service.
    Then you need to run around with other people. This idea that Moore is snobbish is pretty laughable.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    This isn't unlike the Treasure Coast communities here in Florida that sued to stop Brightline, and are now threatening to sue Brightline again if they don't include a stop along the Treasure Coast. As soon as Moore sees passenger trains running through town they will want back in, but that should come at a cost.
    I'm not 100% certain on this, but I remember there being talk that our RTA was set up to give some sort of preferential status to the founding members. I am having a hard time finding where I read that, or what the preferential status was - but I do believe there will be some sort of penalty if Moore decides they want back in.

I'll keep looking and if I do find it, I'll make sure to post it here (or in the RTA thread).

Bus service in Nichols Hills makes absolutely zero sense.
    Agreed. 005 does better down Western as it better serves the Britton area. Lets be clear that most Nichols Hills folks would probably never take the bus so why waste money running the line through there.

Having ridden 005 a few times I think its a great route and its about to be combined with 003 later this year to account for the Rapid line

There are lots of domestic workers in Nichols Hills.

Bus riders are usually going to and from work.

Took this picture of the stop now in at 36th and Classen:

nice pic

OKC Free Press article about the new proposed “BRT” routes:

https://freepressokc.com/public-feed...till-underway/

22. Default Re: Bus Rapid Transit (BRT)

N3 is the best choice for the NE "BRT" route given, the other two should already be normal local routes.

S3 is the best fit for a Southside "BRT" route, the other routes should be local.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Blog Entries

Multiple Locations Re: Bus Rapid Transit (BRT)

MAPS for BRT Alternatives - Bus Rapid Transit growth. If you would like to take the BRT survey, please clink on the link below: V V V V

https://engagekh.com/maps-4-brt-alte...ce=govdelivery

Recently noticed the stop on NW Expressway near Classen is on an "island". There seems to be no sidewalks or anything connecting to it, I am guessing that is coming. This is across from that McDonalds and Chik Fil A.

^

There is a sidewalk that leads from Blackwelder to the new stop.

Thread Information