Widgets Magazine
Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Restaurants

Default Re: Old Restaurants

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    Stickman,
    Ok, you got me, when was Shipman's ever on Central? I think (I hope, for my memory's sake) that you are confusing it with the one on Robinson. The one on Robinson was the original (I believe) and it wasn't till in the 60's that he opened a second one on Reno/Main (pretty sure it was Reno). I don't know of a third one. Maybe Jim remembers another Shipman's. As for Brown's, they were there in the 40's and are still there. Garlands certainly could have been in the general vicinity. And, amazing as it might seem, my (normally pretty good) memory may be failing me. I suppose Brown's could have moved a building or two to the East or West sometime in the past. But, I have been in Brown's recently (for old guys, recently can mean several years and that's what I mean this time) and it didn't look like a place that could have been a restaurant. It doesn't look big enough inside.
    C. T.
    3rd Shipmans, across from Munzy's (spelling ?) garage by Teddy Joes. Second on Reno was E. of WW steel.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    On Garlands, he seems to remember in that area where Browns is...
    Brown's? Not sure what you mean. Brown's Bakery?
    but that was a few brain cells ago. They had a sword fish hanging on the wall
    and always had pineapple and cottage cheese.
    He doesn't remember when Vern closed it.
    I remember the swordfish.
    ... BTW: used to eat at Shipman's on Central around 15th.
    That would have been around SW 15th and S. Robinson. That was
    the last time I ate at Shipman's. But I ate at Shipman's on Reno many
    times.

The biscuits were amazing. At least that's what I remember more than
    anything. All you could eat and they even had real honey. NOT honey
    sauce.

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    Brown's? Not sure what you mean. Brown's Bakery?

I remember the swordfish.

That would have been around SW 15th and S. Robinson. That was
    the last time I ate at Shipman's. But I ate at Shipman's on Reno many
    times.

The biscuits were amazing. At least that's what I remember more than
    anything. All you could eat and they even had real honey. NOT honey
    sauce.
    PP,
    No, he means 15th and Central, the one on Robinson was at about Southwest 4th and Robinson almost on top of the viaduct. It blew my mind, I had no idea there was a third Shipman's. And Browns was a coin and stamp store that's still there today. Biscuits? I hate biscuits, they served rolls and called them biscuits. I mentioned before that I love butter or margarine and they always set a tray of butter at your table, so that plus the honey was pretty darned good.
    C. T.

PP,
    No, he means 15th and Central, the one on Robinson was at about Southwest 4th
    and Robinson almost on top of the viaduct.

It blew my mind, I had no idea there was a third Shipman's. And Browns was a coin
    and stamp store that's still there today. Biscuits? I hate biscuits, they served rolls
    and called them biscuits. I mentioned before that I love butter or margarine and they
    always set a tray of butter at your table, so that plus the honey was pretty darned good.
    C. T.
    Dang, CT, I don't remember 15th and Central.

A coin and stamp store? No doubt about it... you're OLD!

I always thought that the "biscuits" were different. A friend of mine gave me a
    recipe. I'm not sure it's accurate but it seems to be close.

Yes, maybe yeast biscuits with a tray of butter (margarine) and a bottle of honey.

I liked Shipman's. I only remember the one on Reno and the one on about
    SW 15th and S. Robinson. I drove past the place 2 weeks ago. You said 15th
    and Central. I don't remember that one,

At any rate, you're old. I'm only kinda old. Come to think of it, compared to
    to you, I'm quite young. I mean, very, very young! LOL!

You've forgotten more than I remember.

Later,
    PP

Dang, CT, I don't remember 15th and Central.

A coin and stamp store? No doubt about it... you're OLD!

I always thought that the "biscuits" were different. A friend of mine gave me a
    recipe. I'm not sure it's accurate but it seems to be close.

Yes, maybe yeast biscuits with a tray of butter (margarine) and a bottle of honey.

I liked Shipman's. I only remember the one on Reno and the one on about
    SW 15th and S. Robinson. I drove past the place 2 weeks ago. You said 15th
    and Central. I don't remember that one,

At any rate, you're old. I'm only kinda old. Come to think of it, compared to
    to you, I'm quite young. I mean, very, very young! LOL!

You've forgotten more than I remember.

Later,
    PP
    PP,
    You have me confused, Stickman brought up the Shipman's on 15th and Central. And you are confused, the original wasn't on 15th and Robinson, it was closer to 5th and Robinson. I will drive over there this week and get the exact address because I'm not totally sure, but I am sure it was North of 15th. And since you are just a child, give me a little respect!
    C. T.

This ad is from the Oklahoman in the 50's. It's for a waitress at Shipman's at 1022 S. Robinson.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shipmans.png 
Views:	87 
Size:	1.9 KB 
ID:	10164

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    This ad is from the Oklahoman in the 50's. It's for a waitress at Shipman's at 1022 S. Robinson.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shipmans.png 
Views:	87 
Size:	1.9 KB 
ID:	10164
    Ljbab,
    You got it! I was going to do a search this morning, now I don't need to. Looks like PP and I split the difference. I was certain that the viaduct was further North than 10th and Shipman's was right at the South entrance to the viaduct. Well, I think I will to try and locate information about Shipman's number 3 at 15th and Central, and maybe try and find a Garland's ad.
    C. T.

Well, I shouldn't go hungry for a while, I have a lot of crow to munch on. Sometime between 1946 and now, Brown's Coin and Stamp moved from 529 S. W. 29th to 537 S. W. 29th, and Garland's was originally in that building. I didn't get any crow credit for Shipman's number 3 because I just didn't know about it and wasn't questioning it's existence. I hope the attachments are readable.
    C. T.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Garlland's.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	246.1 KB 
ID:	10171   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shipman's.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	469.2 KB 
ID:	10170   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brown's.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	123.7 KB 
ID:	10172  

Well, I shouldn't go hungry for a while, I have a lot of crow to munch on. Sometime between 1946 and now, Brown's Coin and Stamp moved from 529 S. W. 29th to 537 S. W. 29th, and Garland's was originally in that building. I didn't get any crow credit for Shipman's number 3 because I just didn't know about it and wasn't questioning it's existence. I hope the attachments are readable.
    C. T.
    Good job, I will have to show my buddy. He did say there was a doughnut shop across the street from Garland's. Maybe called "Dennis Doughnuts" /

Good job, I will have to show my buddy. He did say there was a doughnut shop across the street from Garland's. Maybe called "Dennis Doughnuts" /
    Stickman,
    The big swing is to Dennis Doughnuts! That was one of their ads. My absolute favorite doughnuts, but I went to the one in the 1200 block of S. W. 29th, it was the main one and was closer to my house. I don't remember one that far East, but that doesn't mean anything. When I was throwing papers I would pick up a half dozen hot doughnuts. Dennis expanded too quickly and ran into financial problems, so he just shut them down. He also had a car dealership in Chandler and I bought my first nearly new car there in 1965. It really bugs me that I can barely remember that a Garland's existed and I have no other memory of them. That was my "stomping grounds", it's where I grew up.
    C. T.

PP,
    You have me confused, Stickman brought up the Shipman's on 15th and Central.
    And you are confused, the original wasn't on 15th and Robinson,
    C. T.
    You are absolutely correct.

Shipman's was on West Reno and S. Robinson.

Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
    Was Garlands the one with the (very cool) art deco spire like thing?
    I'm quoting myself because I think my post got lost in the back and forth. I found this postcard which is what I was picturing. Is this not the same Garland's you guys are talking about?

You are absolutely correct.

Shipman's was on West Reno and S. Robinson.
    PP,
    The original Shipman's was on 1022 S. Robinson (see Ljbab's post number 356), the second one was on 1430 West Reno about a half mile West of Western. Take my word for it or look it up in the DOK archives, the date of the add was November 28th 1982. I would have attached it, but the downloaded/printed version was a lousy copy for some reason.
    C. T.

I'm quoting myself because I think my post got lost in the back and forth. I found this postcard which is what I was picturing. Is this not the same Garland's you guys are talking about?
    Zookeeper,
    No, there was a Garland's (see my post number 358) located at 537 S. W. 29th. Now that I have seen your attachment, my memory is returning, I do remember Garland's "Drive-In" restaurant. The one PP was asking about is "Garland's Smorgasbord", which I don't really remember.
    C. T.

Zookeeper,
    No, there was a Garland's (see my post number 358) located at 537 S. W. 29th. Now that I have seen your attachment, my memory is returning, I do remember Garland's "Drive-In" restaurant. The one PP was asking about is "Garland's Smorgasbord", which I don't really remember.
    C. T.
    You are right also, the doughnut shop was down the street from Garlands. He does remember Shipman's by the track.......so I bet that is what he meant, no 3rd one,

You are right also, the doughnut shop was down the street from Garlands. He does remember Shipman's by the track.......so I bet that is what he meant, no 3rd one,
    Stickman,
    Actually, read my second attachment carefully (post number 358) and it appears that Shipman's is in the shopping center at 15th and Central, so it would be the "3rd one". I will try another search and see if I can find a better indicator, like a want ad or an advertisement about the restaurant(s).
    C. T.

Did Garland's Drive-In become El Charrito?

Quote Originally Posted by flintysooner View Post
    Did Garland's Drive-In become El Charrito?
    Flintysooner,
    I don't know but El Chico was at that location, and since El Chico bought the El Charritos restaurants, you are probably correct. I just don't remember it as El Charrito which was the Mexican restaurant my family always took us to when I was a child.
    C. T.

I'm quoting myself because I think my post got lost in the back and forth. I found
    this postcard which is what I was picturing. Is this not the same Garland's you guys
    are talking about?

The one I'm talking about was on S.W. 29th near S. Indiana and on the
    north side of the street.

Cool find!

Here you go. It's the first want ad in this list.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scan.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	265.6 KB 
ID:	10197  

Flintysooner,
    I don't know but El Chico was at that location, and since El Chico bought the El Charritos restaurants, you are probably correct. I just don't remember it as El Charrito which was the Mexican restaurant my family always took us to when I was a child.
    C. T.
    Yes, It was El Charrito in the late 50s, managed by a classmate of my wife name of Manuel Cruz -- who was a great musician in his own right but better known as the father of Edgar Cruz... We ate there reasonably often and visited with Manny.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kyle View Post
    Yes, It was El Charrito in the late 50s, managed by a classmate of my wife name of Manuel Cruz -- who was a great musician in his own right but better known as the father of Edgar Cruz... We ate there reasonably often and visited with Manny.
    Jim,
    I ate there often as a young adult, late 60's, early 70's and it was El Chico. I was away from Oklahoma from 1960 till 1968 and it was probably El Charrito from the time the opened till El Chico bought them and that happened before I returned to OKC.
    Thanks,
    C. T.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Here you go. It's the first want ad in this list.
    Jim,
    Thanks, that's what I mentioned in post 358 (the reason I am enjoying "crow" for dinner this week). There was the Garland's at 22nd and Broadway, and some of us were confused because of the two locations, 29th and 22nd.
    C. T.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kyle View Post
    Jim,
    Last question, when did El Chico buy most of the El Chico restaurants? I say most because the one on about 31st and South Robinson (where my family went when I was a child) was an El Charrito for quite a while after the buyout.
    C. T.

Seems to me it was the early 60s; I came back from California in February '62 and I think it was still El Chico at that time...

Thread Information