Widgets Magazine
Page 15 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Quail Springs Mall

Default Re: Quail Springs Mall

wow that is an aggressive plan, i love it!

Access in and our of there though is going to be a giant CF

Something really needs to be done about the surrounding streets. They need to be made 4 lanes and possibly realigned. The whole parking issue is a mess. Just about every parking space other than VM should be resurfaced and preferably in cement. It would be nice to see structured parking added. The entire mall needs renovated as do a lot of the department stores. It's also weird how the mall is completely disconnected from the apartments directly to the north. The whole area around QS just feels very cheaply thrown together and this won't fix it. Not excited at all about this.

Imo, I love indoor suburban malls, but QS should either get torn down and rebuilt as a lifestyle center or some major investment to the tune off a $100 million.

To me, this just seems as if they're scattering to throw in as many cool little gimmicks as they can and not thinking out a long term plan unless this is it and they plan something else major along with this.

This pleases me.

Quote Originally Posted by bradh View Post
    wow that is an aggressive plan, i love it!

Access in and our of there though is going to be a giant CF
    Amen brother. ... I've long thought that access to the north from 150th should have been installed years ago. I've come to avoid that whole area as much as I can.

5. Default Re: Quail Springs Mall

Well this is a complete and total waste of land use and extremely disappointing. So in a couple of years when the place fails to be economically viable, we will have a detached out-building (with a pool) that doesn't help traffic with the mall. One can only hope the mall would use that opportunity to expand the mall to meet the building and add some stores. It's really too small to be viable as a long-living mall today anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    Well this is a complete and total waste of land use and extremely disappointing. So in a couple of years when the place fails to be economically viable, we will have a detached out-building (with a pool) that doesn't help traffic with the mall. One can only hope the mall would use that opportunity to expand the mall to meet the building and add some stores. It's really too small to be viable as a long-living mall today anyway.
    Someone's never set foot in a Lifetime Fitness. If anything this will put Gold's out of business.

There are several lots around there available for development. While also increasing traffic to the mall, this will provide a "lifestyle center" type environment, with shopping, fitness, and dining, in a very close area. And comparing Lifetime Fitness to Gold's is like comparing gourmet dining to McDonald's. This will be a destination facility.

I don't think you understand what this is. Lifetime Fitness is basically about to takeover the entire gym market for the whole QSM area. This is a big power-move to monopolize the exploding area.

I have never been in a Lifetime Fitness but have heard how awesome they are. Question is, will this really mean that all their competition in the area is going to cease to exist? I mean, the price point is twice that of Gold's, correct? If that is the case, I would think that many consumers will be priced out. Or is there already a trend of gyms closing their doors when Lifetime opens up nearby?

10. Default Re: Quail Springs Mall

I can see them adding an exterior H&M entrance when they redo that section of the building. This was done at GGP-owned Hulen Mall in Fort Worth and it looks really nice. Can't find a pic.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

Quote Originally Posted by soonermike81 View Post
    I have never been in a Lifetime Fitness but have heard how awesome they are. Question is, will this really mean that all their competition in the area is going to cease to exist? I mean, the price point is twice that of Gold's, correct? If that is the case, I would think that many consumers will be priced out. Or is there already a trend of gyms closing their doors when Lifetime opens up nearby?
    I wouldn't think it would mean all the other comp is going to cease to exist, but it will be hard for another company running a gym similarly to come in there and operate with that brand name and competition. I work out at Gold's Gym Express on Penn and there are plenty of other gyms in the metro, but I pay $10/month and don't need anything else. And there are a lot of people just like me that just need treadmills and dumbbells...

12. Default Re: Quail Springs Mall

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    I don't think you understand what this is. Lifetime Fitness is basically about to takeover the entire gym market for the whole QSM area. This is a big power-move to monopolize the exploding area.
    Lifetime caters to a higher income customer base. Those who want simple workout equipment and concrete may not want to go there. Those who need daycare and a wide variety of sports and activities are their niche market. If the tennis facility is anything like the one in Centennial, CO, it will be a very nice facility.

Famous Footwear has closed.

Life Time is an extremely stable company that owns nearly all of their buildings and have never closed a facility in 25 years due to poor performance. This is not a debt funded gym company like Bally's was and isn't a wishy-washy wanna-be like LA Fitness. Relative to their size don't need that many members, due to their pricing structure. The likelihood of this facility failing before QSM is quite low. It would be nice if they were able to convince the city to add a road out to the North traffic around the mall is already a POS, mostly due to horrible design.

Quote Originally Posted by soonermike81 View Post
    When they opened in Tulsa I don't think any other gyms closed. They stole members from all over, but due to their price structure they aren't going to empty out any one facility. I mean some people are happy paying $15/mo and not having the latest, greatest or all the options. For example, my wife and I moved from Planet Fitness in Tulsa to Life Time, I doubt that many people made the switch from $20/mo to $110/mo. Life Time will also gets a lot of the private pool and country club types, since their pool is probably better than any other private pool in the metro.

Where I think Life Time really hurt Golds in Tulsa was that they took like 70% of their trainers, they also wiped out Sky Fitness of most of their trainers. Not to mention all the class instructors, 120 classes a week takes a lot of instructors and they pay more than anywhere else for them.

I just noticed on the website for Savoy Tea Co., they are opening at Quail Springs in mid-July; looks like a kiosk-type location. It looks like they are based in Northwest Arkansas with locations in Fayetteville, Rogers, and Fort Smith.

I know some of us on here are concerned that QSM might go the way of Crossroads, but I ran across this and thought i was a really interesting idea for repurposing malls.

You Can Now Live Inside America's First Shopping Mall for $550 a Month

I know some of us on here are concerned that QSM might go the way of Crossroads, but I ran across this and thought i was a really interesting idea for repurposing malls.

You Can Now Live Inside America's First Shopping Mall for $550 a Month

I was in QSM the other day. If they want to improve and/or stay relevant, then they need to work hard at it and fast. Otherwise they're headed quickly in the direction of Crossroads.

When I was in QSM I saw a lot of store fronts occupied by what look like rinky dink operations instead of national retailers. There's a large space that is taken up by a virtual reality experience. Since VR doesn't take up a lot of room, it's just mainly blank, open space. There's an escape room place. There's a store front for safe rooms. A cheap looking relax/spa place (I think it's actually one of those back rub places that used to be out in the foyer of the mall). Cash for Gold. A couple of places with cheap looking women's clothes and no store decor that are on the second level between Von Maur and Dillards. A store front with fidget spinners and phone cases (A place you'd expect to be in a kiosk has an actual store front). A few nail places. And some empty store spaces.

I know Life Time Fitness is going in there, but there's just so much competition in the surrounding area and QSM doesn't seem to be taking the task of righting the ship seriously. I don't expect QSM to be able to lure stores away from PSM or get the same quality of stores as PSM but they should certainly do better than cheap, rundown strip mall.

Just FYI, there is a similar VR tenant at Penn Square.

The nature of malls is shifting and will continue to shift but I'm quite sure both Quail Springs and Penn Square will survive for quite a while before getting to the Crossroads situation.

The Life Time Fitness deal is an innovative idea which is needed because department stores are disappearing. Sure beats the heck out of a vacant Macy's.

And they recently landed the state's only H&M and Von Maur, so they deserve big credit for both. And the AMC there is a getting a major renovation.

I think they are doing about as well as can be expected given the dramatic shift to on-line shopping and deep discount stores.

HangryHippo Guest

I know space is a limitation at Penn Square, but I really wish Von Maur had ended up at Penn Square instead of Quail Springs. Think it would have been a better fit.

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    I was in QSM the other day. If they want to improve and/or stay relevant, then they need to work hard at it and fast. Otherwise they're headed quickly in the direction of Crossroads.

When I was in QSM I saw a lot of store fronts occupied by what look like rinky dink operations instead of national retailers. There's a large space that is taken up by a virtual reality experience. Since VR doesn't take up a lot of room, it's just mainly blank, open space. There's an escape room place. There's a store front for safe rooms. A cheap looking relax/spa place (I think it's actually one of those back rub places that used to be out in the foyer of the mall). Cash for Gold. A couple of places with cheap looking women's clothes and no store decor that are on the second level between Von Maur and Dillards. A store front with fidget spinners and phone cases (A place you'd expect to be in a kiosk has an actual store front). A few nail places. And some empty store spaces.

I know Life Time Fitness is going in there, but there's just so much competition in the surrounding area and QSM doesn't seem to be taking the task of righting the ship seriously. I don't expect QSM to be able to lure stores away from PSM or get the same quality of stores as PSM but they should certainly do better than cheap, rundown strip mall.
    I don't think the VR and the escape room experience are necessarily bad things to have as they provide entertainment. While Penn Square has more activity than Quail Springs, it too isn't as healthy as it was a year or two ago.

Life Time Fitness should help Quail Springs a lot. I see a lot of opportunity for fitness clothing or health food businesses there.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Just FYI, there is a similar VR tenant at Penn Square.

The nature of malls is shifting and will continue to shift but I'm quite sure both Quail Springs and Penn Square will survive for quite a while before getting to the Crossroads situation.

The Life Time Fitness deal is an innovative idea which is needed because department stores are disappearing. Sure beats the heck out of a vacant Macy's.

And they recently landed the state's only H&M and Von Maur, so they deserve big credit for both. And the AMC there is a getting a major renovation.

I think they are doing about as well as can be expected given the dramatic shift to on-line shopping and deep discount stores.
    Glad to see that AMC is getting a renovation. I really think that whole food court area is what makes QSM look so bad. It's so dirty and uncomfortable to sit. Looks like it hasn't been updated in at least 20 years. If they renovated that into a better spot for people to eat and hang out, they'd probably have much better traffic. Then if they could pull in at least one more new-to-market store, I think they'd be just fine.

Malls catering to middle class families have been struggling for quite some time and it seems that it has picked up steam even more over the past year or two. The decline of stores like Macy's as well as the teen fads from last decade like Aeropostale and Abercrombie & Fitch has been a knife to the throat of a lot of mid-tier malls. The optimal future for Quail Springs is to either go more high-end or to go more mixed-use. I think in a smaller market like OKC, the mall is going to struggle competing with the likes of Chisholm Creek and Penn Square. Even Penn Square seems to be slipping a bit compared to a few years ago.

I do wish Quail Springs Mall the best. H&M, Von Maur, and Lifetime Fitness are all excellent grabs for them. They need to figure out a long-term vision and do it quick though if they want to remain viable long-term. It's not 1999 anymore and people don't use the mall in the same way. I think updating the concourse/food court is a must at this point.

Went to QSM the other day to look at shoes for one of my kids and went to the shoe store on the west end of the mall. I picked up a box and found only one shoe in it. I though the other shoe must've been the display. Picked up another box; same thing. And another and another. I realized that they all only had the right shoe (or was it left). I'm guessing this is a theft deterrent type thing. We went to Academy to look at cleats and all their boxes had both shoes in it. Does QSM have such a shoplifting problem that stores have to resort to this now?

I don't know which store u was in, but footlocker and foot action have been doing that for years. The left is usually on display or in the back (maybe its the right) and they go get it for you.

Thread Information