Widgets Magazine
Page 15 of 149 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192065115 ... LastLast

Thread: Scissortail Park

Default Re: Central Park

That last one was it exactly. That design is 100X better than what the 'pros' came up with. I'm not joking, this design is so superior it isn't even funny. Throw in a perimeter wrought iron fence, stone entrances, low-rise chains along the paths, and a stone arch span bridge to match Union Station and let's start construction.

Extremely well done catch22. It is a slightly different style of park but an excellent design. I think you nailed the pathways. How about elevation variations? I think the current concepts being studied were wise to make the Lawn slope upward away from the "stage" area. The only possible change I can see is possibly reorienting the Great Lawn to a NE to SW axis and moving it to the NE corner. The reason would be to put the sun at the back of concert goers with the stage near the Robinson-Blvd intersection. But overall a great design.

I think this design is better suited to the type of perimeter fence JTF has talked about.

This needs to find its way into certain people's hands.......

This would be an awesome bridge to put in use in the park:

It's been featured in many movies, my favorite particularly, The Highlander.

I was think more like this but ^that is good too.

At night you can do really cool lighting with the multi arch span bridges.

Photo #1 would be my choice. The scene would be very popular for wedding and seasonal shoots.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptDave View Post
    You know a ton of guests come on this website all the time. They're probably holding a conference now because of Matt's amazing sketch that I too agree is waaaaaaaaaaaay better than the three models previously presented.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    That design is 100X better than what the 'pros' came up with. I'm not joking, this design is so superior it isn't even funny.
    Yeah, I can see the Onion headline now... "Oklahoma City Shuns World-Class Design Professionals, Awards Consulting Contract to Local Chat Forum: Will More Cities Switch from Technical Experts to Dudes Who Once Saw Howard Kunstler's TED Talk on YouTube?"

but good ideas catch22

Thanks everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptDave View Post
    Extremely well done catch22. It is a slightly different style of park but an excellent design. I think you nailed the pathways. How about elevation variations? I think the current concepts being studied were wise to make the Lawn slope upward away from the "stage" area. The only possible change I can see is possibly reorienting the Great Lawn to a NE to SW axis and moving it to the NE corner. The reason would be to put the sun at the back of concert goers with the stage near the Robinson-Blvd intersection. But overall a great design.

I think this design is better suited to the type of perimeter fence JTF has talked about.

Thank you. I'll make another version when I get home from class with the lawn oriented toward the NE.

Quote Originally Posted by heyerdahl View Post
    Yeah, I can see the Onion headline now... "Oklahoma City Shuns World-Class Design Professionals, Awards Consulting Contract to Local Chat Forum: Will More Cities Switch from Technical Experts to Dudes Who Once Saw Howard Kunstler's TED Talk on YouTube?"

but good ideas catch22
    Thanks. I think?

Quote Originally Posted by heyerdahl View Post

but good ideas catch22
    That's pretty funny. Just remeber though, all the crap we see around downtown OKC was put there by experts.

9. Default Re: Central Park

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    This would be an awesome bridge to put in use in the park:

It's been featured in many movies, my favorite particularly, The Highlander.
    Love it. Saw a concert a couple of years ago at Summerstage, only a couple hundred yards from there, just the other side of Bethesda Fountain. Seriously, I think Central Park is my favorite part of NYC, followed closely by Bryant Park. What I really want is the outdoor bar that looks out onto that lake, just outside the boathouse restaurant:

But the point about paths is well taken; Look at this map of Central Park though, and see how many transverses and trails there are. Admittedly it is far larger than the one proposed for downtown OKC, but even if you zoom in on areas similar in size you will recognize that there is a much larger percentage of the park covered by walking opportunities.

Much better catch22. Might I suggest a bridge across the west branch of the pond just where it branches off from the main part of the pond. In addition to providing a more direct pedestrin pathway, it would offer some good views of Union Station as well as providing the paddle boaters a destination.
    Doesn't happen often, but, well, um, yeah ..THIS

Yay Nay?

I think it is a worthy alternative - as I said, a little different in style but very nicely done. I would be perfectly happy if the Central Park looks a lot like this (but with numerous shade trees).

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    I like this one better.

I like this one better.
    Me too.

Yeah I've gotta say I really like this design. Personally I'd put in a ton more trees, especially near the lake. And I want a big, old-timey carousel in the middle of the park.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	depositphotos_1419789-French-old-carousel-with-horses.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	409.7 KB 
ID:	2822

And maybe some big stone lions.

Name:	lion.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	2823

Quote Originally Posted by hoyasooner View Post
    And maybe some big stone lions.

Name:	lion.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	2823
    These should be on both sides of each park entrance. It should tell visitors that they are entering some place special, like entering an outdoor room.

More trees and a children's area on the SE corner of the fountain plaza. (With the carousel or pavilion or whatever you want it to be)

Kerry, you're correct. When you have to go through openings like that you actually feel you are going somewhere instead of just walking.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    More trees and a children's area on the SE corner of the fountain plaza. (With the carousel or pavilion or whatever you want it to be)

I really really really like this. And that blue thing in the middle is a big fountain? Yes please.

well done

HangryHippo Guest

I dig it, Catch22.

Quote Originally Posted by hoyasooner View Post
    And I want a big, old-timey carousel in the middle of the park.

Name:	depositphotos_1419789-French-old-carousel-with-horses.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	409.7 KB 
ID:	2822
    If that's what you want then I would recommend going to the Subcommittee meeting or the next park public meeting and fighting for it. That Cynthia Lady seems to be a one woman band. I couldn't get a reading at the last Parks Subcommittee meeting whether she is getting any traction at all. They were respectful to her, but didn't indicate whether they are sharing her/your vision. Just say'in...

I like the idea too for kids and dates. The Ladys love the carousels from my experience. lol

Indeed - one lady spoke up about a carousel at the last Central Park public meeting. I think it could be a nice feature.

Crossroads Mall has a carousel that is certainly being underutilized.

Blog Entries

Maybe we could get the ferris wheel donated too? It is in mothballs isn't it? What a great view it could provide of the river and downtown. That, a carousel, push cart vendors, a few street entertainers, a place for local artists to paint and show/sell their paintings, etc. and we would have a GREAT weekend activity area.

Thread Information