Widgets Magazine
Page 15 of 86 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192065 ... LastLast

Thread: University of Oklahoma Sports

Default Re: University of Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Well clearly some people don't realize the significance of that when a student government organization is suggesting that the school's mascot/chant/etc should be changed because Boomers and Sooners took the native american's land. It also seems like something you would've mentioned in you're post if you were really going for an honest conversation on the topic. If you want to say they were all big, bad racists and that's why the terms Boomer and Sooner shouldn't be the used ...that's a fair point...but so were 90% of other white people at the time. But if that's the real reason behind not wanting to use the terms Boomer and Sooner... Abraham Lincoln would be considered a major racist if held to today's standards so where do you stop? I guess my main annoyance is people continually looking issues to be upset about when no one that they're claiming should be upset about them... are actually upset about them.
    Edit - On my first post I wasn’t suggesting that you didn’t know the full history, I know that you do...but it’s clear some of the students behind movements like this one either don’t or are more interested in stirring up controversy and patting their “woke” selves on the back than presenting the whole story.

Quote Originally Posted by stew View Post
    i’d be ecstatic if i never again heard “boomer” and/or “sooner”.
    boomer sooner

Quote Originally Posted by stew View Post
    i’d be ecstatic if i never again heard “boomer” and/or “sooner”.
    boomer sooner!

4. Default Re: University of Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    You got us all. I didn't know that the land was UNASSIGNED. I really should learn more history.
    Nobody is trying to minimize the hell American Indians were put through. Go back before all the forced movements and the Unassigned Lands and the Wichitas, Kiowas and Apaches were on those lands. Before 500, there wasn't much of anyone here but buffalo. Were just talking about 2 words.

CFP rankings out and OU is still behind Utah. It will be interesting to see what the committee does if both teams win out. Anyone here think it would be better to win the Big 12 and not get the invite? Have a better chance at winning a bowl game? Or is it always better to make the Playoff so that there is at least a chance of winning it all? I vacillate between the two, but always seem to come down on the latter when the final decision is being made.

Also, did anyone look through their Sooner Club packet at all the facility improvements they are trying raise money for? Pretty impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by DKG View Post
    Also, did anyone look through their Sooner Club packet at all the facility improvements they are trying raise money for? Pretty impressive.
    I've seen the plans for renovations to the baseball stadium and a new softball stadium.

Was there more than that? If so, I'd be interested in the details.

7. Default Re: University of Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by DKG View Post
    CFP rankings out and OU is still behind Utah. It will be interesting to see what the committee does if both teams win out. Anyone here think it would be better to win the Big 12 and not get the invite? Have a better chance at winning a bowl game? Or is it always better to make the Playoff so that there is at least a chance of winning it all? I vacillate between the two, but always seem to come down on the latter when the final decision is being made.

The Big 12 wants OU to go for sure. You get more money for the whole conference. That being said. LSU and Ohio State really look like they are on another level.

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    The Big 12 wants OU to go for sure. You get more money for the whole conference. That being said. LSU and Ohio State really look like they are on another level.
    or baylor... the Big 12 wants either OU or Baylor... and i honestly think that if Baylor wins they have the better argument for jumping Utah... their one loss would be to a top 10 team. Utahs would be to number 22 USC, and Oklahoma's would be to an unranked K-State...

remember that last year the committee basically said that the Reason OU got to go and OSU didn't was because our loss to Texas wasn't as bad as OSU losing to Purdue... the committee doesn't seem to care about who you beat, but who has the better loss. so based upon that, i could see that if Utah and Oklahoma both win, Utah goes. if Utah and Baylor win, Baylor goes.

i might be wrong, but that is the format that the committee laid out last year.

If Georgia beats LSU all bets are off concerning the PAC 12 and Big 12. Georgia at 4 contradicts the worse loss theory as SC is inferior to both USC and KSU.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    If Georgia beats LSU all bets are off concerning the PAC 12 and Big 12. Georgia at 4 contradicts the worse loss theory as SC is inferior to both USC and KSU.
    but SEC... they always get their love... it's the other conferences that have to abide by the hopes of the committee

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    Ohio State may be on another level, but LSU gave up 38 to Texas and only beat them by 7 and made Sam Ehlinger look like a heisman front runner...which no one talks about. They're definitely good but are beatable.

Nobody thought the Sooners could compete with Florida State in 2000.

You can't win it all unless you get in the playoffs. Get in, and anything is possible. At least the defense is capable of playing well, compared to the recent past where that wasn't even in the realm of possibility.

As they say, you miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Nobody thought the Sooners could compete with Florida State in 2000.You can't win it all unless you get in the playoffs. Get in, and anything is possible. At least the defense is capable of playing well, compared to the recent past where that wasn't even in the realm of possibility.As they say, you miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
    Exactly. I don’t understand the sentiment that winning a meaningless bowl would be better than losing in the first round. I’d take a chip and a chair any day over watching from home with everyone else

14. Default Re: University of Oklahoma

I don’t see why the Big 12 would care whether it was OU or Baylor. The conference would get playoff income either way. The network televising the game might prefer OU because of the much larger fan base. But then being one of two playoff games I don’t know how much difference the matchup makes in viewing.

Well, Oregon beating Utah last night was big for OU. Now today's game against Baylor is basically a play-in game, provided that LSU beats Georgia. If Georgia beats LSU, though, I think they're both getting in and the Big 12 champ is on the outside looking in.

16. Default Re: University of Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    Well, Oregon beating Utah last night was big for OU. Now today's game against Baylor is basically a play-in game, provided that LSU beats Georgia. If Georgia beats LSU, though, I think they're both getting in and the Big 12 champ is on the outside looking in.
    Absolutely!

Boomer Sooner!

Blog Entries

NCAA Re: University of Oklahoma

OU will play LSU in Atlanta. Much better than Ohio State, since OU's OL has been suspect this season, and Chase Young is a monster on Ohio State's DL.

LSU defense is a lot better since Texas game they had to get used to the Defensive Coordinator that came from the New Orleans Saints.

21. Default Re: University of Oklahoma

ESPN radio is calling the playoff teams “3 possible winners and OU”. I hope OU can use such statements to get motivated.

Blog Entries

Predictions: OU will open the playoffs Saturday, December 28, against LSU in Atlanta.

LSU, OSU, Clemson are undefeated. That Kansas State loss looms large in many ways. OU has been battle tested; they will see “3 possible winners and OU” as bulletin board material.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Predictions: OU will open the playoffs Saturday, December 28, against LSU in Atlanta.

LSU, OSU, Clemson are undefeated. That Kansas State loss looms large in many ways. OU has been battle tested; they will see “3 possible winners and OU” as bulletin board material.
    Going to Atlanta, BUT, I expect the outcome to be the same as the last two playoff games I attended. A loss. I wish that I were more optimistic, but I am realistic. I continue to say the B12 is not a conference that prepares a team to compete in the current playoff format. in the BCS era a team could play a one game , winner take all and play above its talent level and maybe win, but even that was not successful for OU. Hope I am wrong but I am going to support the team happily with no expectations except for effort.

Am I wrong or does OU +12.5 seem like really easy money? I just don’t see LSU running away like that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dcsooner View Post
    Going to Atlanta, BUT, I expect the outcome to be the same as the last two playoff games I attended. A loss. I wish that I were more optimistic, but I am realistic. I continue to say the B12 is not a conference that prepares a team to compete in the current playoff format. in the BCS era a team could play a one game , winner take all and play above its talent level and maybe win, but even that was not successful for OU. Hope I am wrong but I am going to support the team happily with no expectations except for effort.
    That's the nature of the playoffs. As OU continues to make the playoffs year after year it helps recruiting.

Whether OU advances to the finals will depend on many factors. LSU has more at stake than OU; they are the #1 team:

No. 1 LSU Tigers vs. No. 4 Oklahoma Sooners

College Football Playoff Semifinal at the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl
    When: Saturday, Dec. 28, 2019 (3 p.m. CT)
    Where: Mercedes-Benz Stadium, Atlanta

Appreciate your support; enjoy the game dcsooner, there are no guaranteed winners.

Thread Information