Widgets Magazine
Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: 2028 Olympics in OKC

1. Default Re: 2028 Olympics in OKC

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I recently read that the IOC and LA28 might not announce the final events and venues until after the Paris games this summer, which end on August 11th.

I know they are still tweaking things but I'm still very confident OKC will get canoe slalom and there is an outside chance at softball. It seems LA28 is going to stick with the shorter (1,500m vs 2,000m) rowing course in Long Beach.
    I hope/pray we can get all three: Whitewater sports, Softball, and Rowing. Any would surely help boost OKC's profile (and perhaps the likelihood for our supertall ), but even more strongly if we can get rowing to help fast-track I-35 bridge replacement. It would be OKC eating our cake too. Fingers totally crossed for OKC to get even more lucky.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Default Re: 2028 Olympics in OKC

As excited as I am to have the Olympics coming to OKC in 2028, I am afraid of some of the negative press we would get as well due to it being in July... Average temp during the time the Olympics would be here is in the mid to high 90's.

Did Atlanta get a lot of negative press for the heat in ‘96?

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    As excited as I am to have the Olympics coming to OKC in 2028, I am afraid of some of the negative press we would get as well due to it being in July... Average temp during the time the Olympics would be here is in the mid to high 90's.
    Negative press because of something not a single soul can control. I hate society. Gotta blame those Okies for their weather being hot in the summer.

People worry a lot about nothing.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    We are now worrying about the weather and some writer we don’t even know and how they will be years from now? Lol.

This last summer was an aberration, as long as we don't have another usually hot July/August the weather should be manageable.

Positive international exposure will offset whatever negativity (and that always comes when you call attention to yourself) a million times over.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    Did Atlanta get a lot of negative press for the heat in ‘96?
    Yes: https://www.nytimes.com/1996/07/20/s...-opponent.html

As did Tokyo in the 2021 Olympics: https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/30/sport...ntl/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by PoliSciGuy View Post
    Good company to be in then.

Blog Entries

It's just a shame our Okie inferiority complex gets in the way of so many actually feeling good about anything here. The worst take always comes up fast.

^^^^^

LOL. WTF is heat something we’re even concerned about? We’re talking about a sport that literally occurs in the water and potentially softball which would be being played in what is essentially the world headquarters of softball and hosts tournaments in the heat every year. I swear people here could try to put a negative spin on anything.

For those who have never been, LA is often really hot in August too when you move inland from the beaches.

This is going to be one of the coolest things that has happened in OKC during most of our lifetimes…how about we just be excited and look forward to it?

*some* people are negative... The very vocal minority.

OKC and Oklahoma are going to fall all over ourselves to welcome these events.

Blog Entries

Multiple Locations Re: 2028 Olympics in OKC

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    LOL. WTF is heat something we’re even concerned about? . . .

…how about we just be excited and look forward to it?

So what is going on with this?

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    So what is going on with this?
    It seems the plan now is not to announce anything -- meaning all the final LA28 venues -- until after the Paris games this summer.

However, I'm told the canoe slalom is still a done deal in OKC and there is plenty of movement behind the scenes in terms of the planning process.

16. Default Re: 2028 Olympics in OKC

Man that is going to be so cool. Can't wait to take my kids to see the festivities.

It seems the plan now is not to announce anything -- meaning all the final LA28 venues -- until after the Paris games this summer.

However, I'm told the canoe slalom is still a done deal in OKC and there is plenty of movement behind the scenes in terms of the planning process.
    I know you can't give us much but please give us a small hint about your sources. Are they OKC officials, Olympic committee staff, Las Angeles city staff/ politicians, corporate sponsors, or all of the above?

My understanding is an announcement may be made within the next month finalizing all the venues and sports for LA28 and that OKC will be hosting the whitewater events.

Rowing will stay in LA and I believe the same is true for softball.

https://x.com/MattLMcCabe/status/1804190887250944341

My understanding is an announcement may be made within the next month finalizing all the venues and sports for LA28 and that OKC will be hosting the whitewater events.

Rowing will stay in LA and I believe the same is true for softball.
    Softball in OKC !!

21. Default Re: 2028 Olympics in OKC

LA28 proposes venue changes to Oklahoma City for Canoe/Kayak and Softball...story in today's Los Angeles Times:

The 2028 Summer Olympics in Los Angeles are getting an extreme makeover, with organizers proposing changes that would shift basketball into the brand-new Intuit Dome, put a temporary swimming pool in the middle of SoFi Stadium and move softball games 1,300 miles east to Oklahoma City...

...Money is also part, but not all, of the surprising decision to hold softball and canoe slalom four states away.

The move aligns with a recent trend that has seen the IOC scramble to assuage cities fearful of bidding for the Games and risking massive debt. IOC leadership has encouraged looking for cost savings wherever they can be found.

Oklahoma City entered the picture for LA28 because it already has two needed venues.

Its 13,000-seat softball stadium is larger than any comparable ballpark in Southern California and, located adjacent to the sport’s hall of fame, has a track record for drawing fans.

The city’s world-class canoe slalom venue, just south of downtown, will save on building a $39-million temporary course. Chamber of Commerce officials there have further sweetened the deal by offering to assume all risk; if the Games go over budget, they would cover outstanding expenses for their two venues.

“We are confident we will be an outstanding partner to LA28 in creating a dynamic environment for Olympians and fans,” Oklahoma City Mayor David Holt said in a statement.

There might have been another, subtler motivation for organizers to look afar. Oklahoma Rep. Tom Cole is chairman of the powerful House Appropriations Committee at a time when LA28 has lobbied for federal help with Games security and transportation funding.

With canoe slalom potentially leaving its original location in the Sepulveda Basin, plans for the San Fernando Valley site would be completely overhauled. Shooting would depart. Same with equestrian, because the basin isn’t large enough to satisfy the IOC’s desire to keep the sport’s three disciplines — jumping, dressage and eventing — in the same location....

Guess we need a hotel or five over there by Remington!

F*** YAH!!!

Softball too!!! Arguably the biggest thing ever to happen to OKC.

24. Default Re: 2028 Olympics in OKC

Huge get for OKC, can’t wait to take my kids!

This is great!

Thread Information