Widgets Magazine
Page 15 of 41 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Trader Joe's

Default Re: Trader Joe's

I really have no idea.

It seems obvious Glimcher is working on their much broader master plan for all those properties before they sign any tenants for NH Plaza.

I have the feeling TJ's may end up in new construction south of 63rd, otherwise why haven't they slotted them into the the old Crescent Market which is pretty perfect for them?

So, I'm making an assumption that we won't hear anything about Glimcher's plans until after the beginning of 2015?

First, I hope a deal is still in the works. Second, I hope they announce it soon. Trader Joe's is one of the retailers I miss the most since moving to OKC. It would be great to have them here.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    First, I hope a deal is still in the works. Second, I hope they announce it soon. Trader Joe's is one of the retailers I miss the most since moving to OKC. It would be great to have them here.
    I went to Trader Joes while in Houston and I have to say it is the most over rated grocery store I have ever been in. Id take more Sprouts locations over any Trader Joes.

Quote Originally Posted by OkieNate View Post
    I went to Trader Joes while in Houston and I have to say it is the most over rated grocery store I have ever been in. Id take more Sprouts locations over any Trader Joes.
    I've said it many times, but that was my first (and 2nd, 3rd and 4th) impression as well.

It grows on you and takes a while to figure out and find all the unique things that you particularly like.

If I were to ever move back to OKC it's the one place I would miss the most and there isn't anything else close.

Quote Originally Posted by OkieNate View Post
    Agree!

I have a cabinet in my dining room stuffed full of TJs semi-nonperishables. Re-fried black beans (with 1/2 a gram of fat per serving!), gnocchi, pumpkin pancake mix, apple butter, maple cookies, etc., etc.

I don't think it's overrated, but you do have to "learn" to shop there, and I couldn't make it a primary grocery store. It's a nice supplement to wherever it is you're shopping now.

Won't call it overrated, but I'll admit after two visits I don't "get it." I mean, its alright, but IMO its not a 1-for-1 substitute for Whole Foods, Uptown Grocery, Central Mkt, or any other high end grocer. I don't eat a lot of processed foods, but for someone who does Trader Joes would be great. It's a good store for pantry items like pasta, spices, baking mixes etc. Some of their prepared food OTOH is pretty terrible. I had a flatbread pizza from their Plano location and it literally had zero flavor. While I personally didn't notice, I've also had many people say their produce is quite subpar.

All in all, nice store and will be good for OKC when it comes, but not something I would hold my breath for.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I've said it many times, but that was my first (and 2nd, 3rd and 4th) impression as well.

It grows on you and takes a while to figure out and find all the unique things that you particularly like.

If I were to ever move back to OKC it's the one place I would miss the most and there isn't anything else close.
    Totally agree. But, those that don't get it, just don't.

Everyone has there favorite stores. That's fine. Choices, the more the better I say. I tend to pick up certain items at different stores. My main grocery store is Spouts, but I shop Aldi's, and a number of stores for certain items. Love WF deserts. TJ has certain items I would buy there. When I'm in the area of a TJ I stop in a pickup a few items. I think most of us would do the same. Have your main store and stop in for a few items at the others.

I never considered using TJs as a supplement store, so I'll have to reconsider my stance when they arrive. I've always wondered why HEB wont come here and bring a central market or two here as well. I believe the success of WF and Sprouts proves a CM would work here.

HEB/Central Market is focused on Texas and Mexico. There is no doubt to me that HEB/CM would do well in Oklahoma but they have no interest in expanding outside of Texas, they have plenty of other locations in Texas to expand into. We do miss HEB and stock up on items when we are back in Midland visiting the in-laws. My father wishes they would open up in OKC after going to the one we shopped at in Austin when he was visiting.

HEB is not what it used to be, I don't get the current hype, although I could see the hype of HEB 10-15 years ago.

The Central Market in Plano might be the best grocery store I've been to. Regular HEB is just a regular grocery store.

I wish OKC had a Market Street!!

It's been discussed numerous times on OKCTalk, but grocery stores is one area where one could still be legitimately negative about OKC. The stores here, other than a few locations, are far below what is standard in other cities. It would be very nice and welcome for any strong chain, be it H-E-B, Tom Thumb, Kroger, Publix, Safeway, whatever, to enter the OKC market. Hopefully at least with WinCo entering the market finally giving Wal-Mart competition and Uptown Grocery expanding, the days of depressing grocery stores in OKC are numbered.

Prunepicker Guest

I've visited a Trader Joe's in Nashville a couple of times. I honestly wasn't impressed.

There were a few things I thought were interesting, like peanut butter filled pretzels,
    but I won't make the effort to visit another. I prefer local flavor. Trader Joe's is a
    typical chain. Chains are over priced and attract the pop culture.

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    I've visited a Trader Joe's in Nashville a couple of times. I honestly wasn't impressed.

There were a few things I thought were interesting, like peanut butter filled pretzels,
    but I won't make the effort to visit another. I prefer local flavor. Trader Joe's is a
    typical chain. Chains are over priced and attract the pop culture.
    I didn't realize PP was a hipster.

I wonder if Trader Joe's in OKC, if a deal is still in the works, will be announced by the end of 2015.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    I didn't realize PP was a hipster.
    TJ isn't really a hipster hangout. Actually, I think all of them I know about are in pretty affluent and upscale areas, not around hipster hangouts.

21. Default Re: Trader Joe's

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    TJ isn't really a hipster hangout. Actually, I think all of them I know about are in pretty affluent and upscale areas, not around hipster hangouts.
    That was the point of catch's statement. PP said it was overrated, like a hipster would say.

Blog Entries

sorry. Missed that as the point.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I agree. In Charlotte TJs wasn't hipster at all. It was a pretty affluent/yuppie store in one of the nicest suburban areas in the city.

I think catch22 was referring to the fact that PP said he preferred shopping at a local grocer over a chain as being hipster.

This is like a repeat of this thread going dead, someone replies, I think Pete made some announcement, only to find it's just someone saying they loved or didn't care for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    This is like a repeat of this thread going dead, someone replies, I think Pete made some announcement, only to find it's just someone saying they loved or didn't care for it.
    I agree. Every time I see this thread updated I keep hoping Pete has made an announcement.

Thread Information