Widgets Magazine
Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: The Canton ( formerly Residences at Classen Curve)

Default Re: The Canton ( formerly Residences at Classen Curve)

So did OGE turn the power on remotely that evening and things started arching all throughout the attic? I guess someone turned some circuit on. Imagine being that guy.

Once again, OKC Talk publishes the story hours before the Oklahoman and the Oklahoman offers no attribution.

This is a sure sign they won't be rebuilding any time soon. Lawsuits can take years, unless they settle.

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    This is a sure sign they won't be rebuilding any time soon. Lawsuits can take years, unless they settle.
    This is probably an ignorant question, but what keeps them from rebuilding now? They own the land and if their insurance has already paid out, what's stopping them from beginning construction again if they wanted to?

^
    Because they need electricity, and I am sure OG&E covers the area. And with a pending lawsuit, they will probably never do business with OG&E again.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by therhett17 View Post
    This is probably an ignorant question, but what keeps them from rebuilding now? They own the land and if their insurance has already paid out, what's stopping them from beginning construction again if they wanted to?
    It's likely the insurance company is actually behind the lawsuit.

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    ^
    Because they need electricity, and I am sure OG&E covers the area. And with a pending lawsuit, they will probably never can do business with OG&E again.
    That simply doesn't compute - if they need electricity, they pretty much *will* have to work with OG&E, unless they make their entire operation self-sustainable through wind or solar, and even then they'd probably *still* have to work with OG&E. With the monopoly they have, everybody in OKC has to work with OG&E.

^
    That's my point, they probably won't rebuild. If they got the insurance payout and win the lawsuit, they have no loss. They can sell the land and move on.

I don't think there is any "Bad Blood" with OG&E in this. It is a business dispute that has to go through the legal process to get settled. Dollar amounts that would destroy our souls if we were involved are a part of the normal course of business. They need clear legal judgements in order to put this behind them and move on.

Also, I think the issue with rebuilding has been how to proceed with a project that is probably 40% more expensive than it was when they started 5-7 years ago.

Blog Entries

I think too many on here think all business dealings are personal and businesses are way more petty than they are. This will run its course and OGE and the developers will gladly work together just fine. The sub contractor, if found culpable likely will not survive , or at least not a part of the future with either OGE or the developer.

11. Default Re: The Canton ( formerly Residences at Classen Curve)

Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    It's likely the insurance company is actually behind the lawsuit.
    Exactly…I’ve been meaning to point this out. Obviously, the developer and OGE (and its contractor) are parties to this lawsuit, but this is really a lawsuit between insurance companies. The other parties obviously don’t want to be out their deductibles, and none of them want their insurance rates to skyrocket. I’m sure there are other damages being sought/considered, but the entities with the most to lose here are the respective insurers.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I think too many on here think all business dealings are personal and businesses are way more petty than they are. This will run its course and OGE and the developers will gladly work together just fine. The sub contractor, if found culpable likely will not survive , or at least not a part of the future with either OGE or the developer.
    Also this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Exactly…I’ve been meaning to point this out. Obviously, the developer and OGE (and its contractor) are parties to this lawsuit, but this is really a lawsuit between insurance companies. The other parties obviously don’t want to be out their deductibles, and none of them want their insurance rates to skyrocket. I’m sure there are other damages being sought/considered, but the entities with the most to lose here are the respective insurers.

Also this.
    I used to be the person in charge of my company's relationship with our largest partner in a deal worth tens of millions of dollars a month. And when I would visit our partner there were always lawyers present because my parent company was suing our partner company for more money than our partnership would would ever make. But no one ever wanted to end our very lucrative business relationship, because money. Companies all the time are at once partners and adversaries at different levels with different business entities. It happens all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    I used to be the person in charge of my company's relationship with our largest partner in a deal worth tens of millions of dollars a month. And when I would visit our partner there were always lawyers present because my parent company was suing our partner company for more money than our partnership would would ever make. But no one ever wanted to end our very lucrative business relationship, because money. Companies all the time are at once partners and adversaries at different levels with different business entities. It happens all the time.
    Exactly. Business is business — it’s strictly financial.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by April in the Plaza View Post
    Exactly. Business is business — it’s strictly financial.
    And pragmatic

Random question for the legally minded:

Assuming that Red Dirt is not some huge business, but is also set up to limit the personal liability of it's owners, would anything prevent them from paying themselves and employees a nice bonus right now so that if/when a judgement comes down, the amount of money surrendered in a bankruptcy by the business is substantially less?

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    Random question for the legally minded:

Assuming that Red Dirt is not some huge business, but is also set up to limit the personal liability of it's owners, would anything prevent them from paying themselves and employees a nice bonus right now so that if/when a judgement comes down, the amount of money surrendered in a bankruptcy by the business is substantially less?
    I’m guessing the overall contracts are set up so that Red Dirt is only on the hook for the limit of their insurance policy or bond(s). Unless there were criminal acts performed by, or at the direction of, the Red Dirt owners, they are okay. And if there were criminal acts proven, the asset diversion you are describing would be considered criminal also.

Keep in mind I am an old, high school graduate, small business owner. Take my opinion with that CV.

I see on Channel 9 news this morning that the Red Dirt Electric listed in the lawsuit was a typo. Was supposed to be Red Dirt Construction. Report said the plaintiffs and their attorneys did not comment. However, Red Dirt Electric owner said one attorney had privately apologized to him.

.......mybad....

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    I see on Channel 9 news this morning that the Red Dirt Electric listed in the lawsuit was a typo. Was supposed to be Red Dirt Construction. Report said the plaintiffs and their attorneys did not comment. However, Red Dirt Electric owner said one attorney had privately apologized to him.

.......mybad....
    That’s a really bad look for Phillips Murrah. I thought that was supposed to be a relatively elite law firm?

Trust me the atty won't get in trouble. It'll be the paralegal or legal secretary that'll get chewing out.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bowser214 View Post
    Trust me the atty won't get in trouble. It'll be the paralegal or legal secretary that'll get chewing out.
    I suspect the attorney that was assigned to the case will be dinged for not proofing and reviewing properly. I know what you are implying, but there will likely be consequences for all involved. It isn’t just the low person. It’s just that most firms don’t air their dirty laundry in public.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I suspect the attorney that was assigned to the case will be dinged for not proofing and reviewing properly. I know what you are implying, but there will likely be consequences for all involved. It isn’t just the low person. It’s just that most firms don’t air their dirty laundry in public.
    Careless errors can be extremely costly in the legal profession. Would not be surprised at all if the paralegal and attorney were severely reprimanded over this.

Here's a quote from the lead attorney on the case, Charles McGill.

I AM NOT CRAZY! I am not crazy! I know he swapped those numbers, I knew it was 1216 — one after Magna Carta, as if I could ever make such a mistake! Never, never! I just-I just couldn't prove it! H-H-He covered his tracks, he got that idiot at the copy shop to lie for him!

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    nice!

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    He was setup by Slippin Jimmy

Thread Information