Widgets Magazine
Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: REHCO / Former Downtown Ford site

Blog Entries

Default Re: Downtown Ford Site

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    I know this would be very ambitious but I'd love to see something like the new Ritz Carlton in downtown L.A. where floors 1-26 are the hotel and 27-52 are residences. The condo owners also get to use the athletic facilities, concierge, and other amenities.

I was involved in this project in both the condo development and the hotel. As I mentioned a few posts up, we could have our own version with Charlie Given's group doing a ZaZa and coupling it with a condo/for rent tower. It could even be called OK Live. The site sets up very much like LA Live in its proximity to downtown and the arena, just like LA Live and Staples Center. If you swing that picture around you see downtown LA high rises start just to the North. It has spurred several renovations and condo conversions close by. It took a slummy area and made it cool

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    It all needs to be mixed, and above all, Bricktown and downtown need to start seeing some actual residential for a change--that's what will pump real vitality (that is constant) into the core and into Bricktown.
    Do you think we'll ever see apartments in Bricktown at this point?

Rover, Hyatt would be an obvious hotelier as they love downtowns near convention centers and there isn't one yet in OKC.

However, I don't think that an LA Live type of development is the answer, as Bricktown largely fills that purpose already. A beautiful, upscale hotel with condos above fronting both huge parks, within the CBD and immediately adjacent to the arena and convention center could work. It's really the only place in OKC right now where this type of development might come off.

Think we can get AEG involved?

4. Default Re: Downtown Ford Site

Haven't really followed this thread lately, but I just got back from doing video. I actually ran into metro at the old Ford site. I got a little bit of video there, then it dawned on me that it's nothing but dirt now. Nothing at all there now. I'm sure somebody already mentioned that a few posts ago.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    Rover, Hyatt would be an obvious hotelier as they love downtowns near convention centers and there isn't one yet in OKC.

However, I don't think that an LA Live type of development is the answer, as Bricktown largely fills that purpose already. A beautiful, upscale hotel with condos above fronting both huge parks, within the CBD and immediately adjacent to the arena and convention center could work. It's really the only place in OKC right now where this type of development might come off.

Think we can get AEG involved?
    Yes, we did the San Antonio Hyatt project. Most likely though it will be more like the Dallas Convention Hotel put together by the city and a a franchise brand is found (was also involved in that - as a supplier). That seems to be the way of the convention hotels these days. Marriott or Hyatt would probably just be a franchise and the developer someone else.

I mentioned ZaZa because of the local connection with Givens. He is active again in the city. I mentioned an "event" hotel rather than convention hotel because it would require less meeting space and probably be more feasible there from a viability standpoint. The current hotel by the Ford Center isn't really a good gathering hotel. It is basic and OK, but not appropriate. The rooms even have through the wall air conditioning...cheap and appears so. By the gardens needs a quality project.

I know AEG has done convention centers, but I think all out of the country. They would seemingly be a good fit if they had the as yet to be named arena and the convention center both. They have facilities in cities our size and area - Sprint Center in Kansas City, FedEx in Memphis and others. Interesting idea. I hope the city has reached out to them. Maybe we could build a really nice pro soccer stadium at the old Cotton mill and have them involved in that too.

Quote Originally Posted by UnFrSaKn View Post
    Haven't really followed this thread lately, but I just got back from doing video. I actually ran into metro at the old Ford site. I got a little bit of video there, then it dawned on me that it's nothing but dirt now. Nothing at all there now. I'm sure somebody already mentioned that a few posts ago.
    Yep, good meeting you as well. I took a few pics since you were taking video. I will try to upload them tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
    We have 22% population growth in the urban core. Downtown OKC is the fastest growing residential area in the State. Demand for rental is there and a tower will make a nice condo conversion in 10 years.
    There may be lots of population growth but most of it is coming from reasonable priced apartments. You do realize a highrise apartment buildings rent would begin around $1600 or so and go way up from there. Highrise construction costs are so high. As I said earlier, even the ULI panel said a tall hotel could not happen without some public assistance, just too costly for a private hotel company to build.

Blog Entries

$1600 for a nice rental in a high rise doesn't sound so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    $1600 for a nice rental in a high rise doesn't sound so bad.
    Maybe but that might only get you a low floor small flat. Then maybe another hundred or two a month for parking.

That might not sound all that bad but how many potential renters are out there that will pay 3k and up for an upper floor? Outside of the 12 Thunder players I dont guess very many.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    There may be lots of population growth but most of it is coming from reasonable priced apartments. You do realize a highrise apartment buildings rent would begin around $1600 or so and go way up from there. Highrise construction costs are so high. As I said earlier, even the ULI panel said a tall hotel could not happen without some public assistance, just too costly for a private hotel company to build.
    $1,200 will get you 800 sq feet in the Skypoint Tower in downtown Tampa. Not sure what the equivalent price would be in OKC.

http://www.channelside.com/details.php?id=27

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Maybe but that might only get you a low floor small flat. Then maybe another hundred or two a month for parking.

That might not sound all that bad but how many potential renters are out there that will pay 3k and up for an upper floor? Outside of the 12 Thunder players I dont guess very many.
    Typically the lower you are in the building the more space you get. You trade sq footage for view as you go up the building until you reach the penthouse - then you pay for size and view.

12. Default Re: Downtown Ford Site

Quote Originally Posted by mcca7596 View Post
    Do you think we'll ever see apartments in Bricktown at this point?
    Short answer: God I hope so. If Bricktown is interested in staying alive and maintaining successful, avoiding the West End in the 2000s fate, then yes, someone will make apartments happen eventually.

Long answer: We know about several of the deals for apartments that fell through because of the recession. During the recession I was hearing about a handful of really interesting sounding deals that would have been really cool. Obviously they fell through. There must be a reason that stuff is not happening in Bricktown anymore. My opinion is that if a developer tried to introduce housing there the Bricktown Association would resist and attempt to kill it themselves, judging by how they react to the possibility of anything new in Bricktown (like an arts festival, for example).

I think there are ways Bricktown could get more housing if it ever came to the realization that that's what they need. They could incentivize it. They could get Pitman or Avis, maybe even the Brewers, or someone who's big in Bricktown to develop it. They could even put in an ordinance requiring a certain percentage of residential units in new developments. Even better, OCURA could call back all of the land that Hogan failed to develop according to schedule. And so on. There are ways that the city or even just the Bricktown Association could get it done on their own.

The time for residential in Bricktown has probably come and gone. There are already much more desirable places to live in the urban core with many more ready to come on-line soon. Add in easy downtown movement via streetcars and it will make it even less likely Bricktown will see residential. The people hoarding vacant land in Bricktown missed the boat.

The question then becomes how long can it survive as a tourist destination? Perhaps the boulevard will help, and something new can be put in on the parking lot south of Bass Pro to attract more people to the land run statues (which will probably be the most permanent attraction apart from the canal). Maybe even something nice could be built on the lumber yard site if it isn't incorporated into either the transit hub or convention center.

Back to topic, How about multiple 3-5 story mixed-used residences and a boutique hotel on the Ford site, if there could be an attached hotel with the convention center?

The Ford site represents the single best site downtown for retail. If there is any hope to lure national retailers to downtown it has to be at the Ford site. It is the only place where one entity owns enough contiguous land. I would like to see maybe two levels of retail with hotel and housing above.

Wish we could get something like the City Creek center in Salt Lake City.

http://www.downtownrising.com/index....k-introduction

The Ford site represents the single best site downtown for retail. If there is anyhope to lure national retailers to downtown it has to be at the Ford site. It is the only place where one entity owns enough contiguous land. I would like to see maybe two levels of retail with hotel and housing above.
    I totally agree, I just hope that is how the owners view it if it is not chosen for the convention center (God forbid).

The Ford site represents the single best site downtown for retail. If there is any hope to lure national retailers to downtown it has to be at the Ford site. It is the only place where one entity owns enough contiguous land. I would like to see maybe two levels of retail with hotel and housing above.

Wish we could get something like the City Creek center in Salt Lake City.

http://www.downtownrising.com/index....k-introduction
    Very nice for SLC, but a bit boring. I hope that OKC can use this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to do something REALLY unique. This is the "Kanyon" in Istanbul. It is perhaps not really right for OKC, but it is a good example of an alternative way of thinking. http://www.photos4travel.com/turkey-...bul_Kanyon.jpg

That is nice David. Be warned though - we have some people that say we are nothing like Istanbul so it will never work here.

Yeah, I know, but the truth is that the SLC project looked SOOO much like it fit into OKC that I thought some degree of originality needed to be suggested, albeit clearly not appropriate for the Ford site. I actually think it is important to see a great deal of sidewalk traffic, like I understand OKC used to be like in the early 60's when I was a kid. The SLC model just looks too much like a mall without a roof.

If I really had my wish, I would like to see a striking building, maybe from Jean Nouvel. http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...w=1149&bih=578

20. Default Re: Downtown Ford Site

Who cares about Salt Lake? As long as they aren't stealing our transit dollars I don't see how they of any of their new urbanism is relevant to this.

21. Default Re: Downtown Ford Site

they "stole" OKC's transit dollars.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    they "stole" OKC's transit dollars.
    Some people think there is a Mormon conspiracy to steal transit funds from Oklahoma and send them to Utah. It all goes back to Istook who didn't approve rail funds in MAPS I but agreed to help SLC build lightrail in preparation for the Winter Olympics.

23. Default Re: Downtown Ford Site

Some people think there is a Mormon conspiracy to steal transit funds from Oklahoma and send them to Utah.
    Um. There is. Or was.

Default Re: Downtown Ford Site (dead)

Will our dreams come true? Will the new CC site be moved, and Howard/Hall can proceed with plans for retail and housing in this area? Will this thread be revived from the dead?

Default Re: Downtown Ford Site (dead)

I would love it if they would also leave the street grid.

Thread Information