Widgets Magazine
Page 14 of 75 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181964 ... LastLast

Thread: Costco

Default Re: Costco in Active Negotiations

Quote Originally Posted by pahdz View Post
    Sorry, I put a value on my time and driving and wasting gas for a couple of items (that there is a 99.9% chance I can find a substitute for) is just ridiculous.
    I personally have never driven to Tulsa or even DFW to shop since I've been here, but its totally understandable why somebody would. When I lived in Little Rock I would drive to Memphis to spend a weekend shopping and enjoying the nightlife and so did a lot of people I knew.

W O W

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sure the amount of people driving to Dallas to shop has drastically decreased since you can now get almost anything through the Internet.

I'm sure the malls are busy during OU/Texas weekend but that's not the same as going there specifically to shop, which used to be somewhat common.

I used to go the Century Center quite a bit (it's 30-mile drive) for the Bloomingdale's and Container Store but haven't been in over a year and when I do go it's only because I'm in the area for other reasons. Also, there is a huge Saks in Orange County that I used to love and I haven't been there in at least 3-4 years.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Do you have evidence of this? You also said previously that Pappadeaux is also coming to Tulsa but I have searched the Internet and haven't even found speculation of that other than your posts here and on TulsaNow. If its true, that would be an extra slap in the face to OKC if Tulsa ended up with two Costco locations before we even get our first. I have doubts though. Cities like Memphis and Birmingham only have a single Costco. Charlotte only has two locations and its exactly double the size of OKC.
    Please don't say "we" when referring to OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Do you have evidence of this? You also said previously that Pappadeaux is also coming to Tulsa but I have searched the Internet and haven't even found speculation of that other than your posts here and on TulsaNow. If its true, that would be an extra slap in the face to OKC if Tulsa ended up with two Costco locations before we even get our first. I have doubts though. Cities like Memphis and Birmingham only have a single Costco. Charlotte only has two locations and its exactly double the size of OKC.
    Pappadeaux is still looking. The deal fell through at the Midtown Village. It was Steve McArthur the realtor for Costco that talked about another location in the city of Tulsa.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    I understand the drive to DFW in some cases. By the time you connect through a hub, it may be quicker to drive to DFW and take non-stop flight. Also, $150 x family of five is $750 savings. My wife has also driven to Wichita to take Airtrans flights with the kids as they were significantly cheaper. She could save 500-1000 dollars on Airfare by using 40 dollars worth of diesel in the jetta

edit...to make on topic..... If they fly out of DFW...they can hit Costco on the way home
    I know this is not always the case, but on some of my family's trips to the East Coast, I priced out options departing OKC via American and just driving to Dallas and flying on the same flight. In those cases, the flight was cheaper departing OKC. Explain that.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerFP View Post
    My apologies, but after rereading your post, I see we were basically saying the same things, but I just was going the long away around to get to what you said, more succinctly. I do tend to be a bit verbose. Sorry about misunderstanding your point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    All good. I'm just mad because you stepped in and took the heat off of bchris after he was proven wrong. He didn't even have to admit he was wrong because the conversation shifted and the attention was off him.

Quote Originally Posted by Lafferty Daniel View Post
    Please don't say "we" when referring to OKC.
    +1

BTW, Costco is looking at opening more than one location in OKC as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    BTW, Costco is looking at opening more than one location in OKC as well.
    Now, now, don't let the facts get in the way of the lamentations and OKC-bashing.

This conversation is fascinating and sad.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    I know this is not always the case, but on some of my family's trips to the East Coast, I priced out options departing OKC via American and just driving to Dallas and flying on the same flight. In those cases, the flight was cheaper departing OKC. Explain that.
    You can't, no one can explain airline pricing, not even the people that create it

Quote Originally Posted by pahdz View Post
    people who drive to Dallas to go to Ikea or a mall, or drive 100 miles to get overpriced organic food (while we're at it, people who drive to DFW to save $150 on airfare)...i don't even have the words...
    If a family of four goes to Dallas for airfare and saves between 700-1000, it begins to add up. Logical rational money saving.

As for for overpriced organic food. Again, once you used to a certain quality, it's hard to go back. People do "go back" but at a cost. Thankfully, there are options and for those that are hungry for quality will go the distance. Usually, those type of people have disposable income. As sad as that may be, it's true.

OKC has done a great job in the last 5-10 years, but if they are lagging behind Tulsa which has a considerably smaller population, then something is wrong. OKC is in the process of fixing this but it sure is taking a long time. It should be OKC having options that Tulsa doesn't have. Not the other way around. Am I incorrect to think this? Was it dumb for Chesapeake to pay Whole Foods to come here?

Quote Originally Posted by zachj7 View Post
    OKC has done a great job in the last 5-10 years, but if they are lagging behind Tulsa which has a considerably smaller population, then something is wrong. OKC is in the process of fixing this but it sure is taking a long time. It should be OKC having options that Tulsa doesn't have. Not the other way around. Am I incorrect to think this? Was it dumb for Chesapeake to pay Whole Foods to come here?
    I assume you are talking about groceries?

Whole Foods did not expand to Tulsa... They inherited an old Wild Oats store when they bought that company years ago.

Sprouts came to OKC first; even Natural Grocers was in Norman before they went to Tulsa.

OKC is getting a second Uptown Grocery (nicer than anything in Tulsa) and likely the state's first Trader Joe's.

So, how exactly is OKC lagging Tulsa?

OKC has done a great job in the last 5-10 years, but if they are lagging behind Tulsa which has a considerably smaller population, then something is wrong. OKC is in the process of fixing this but it sure is taking a long time. It should be OKC having options that Tulsa doesn't have. Not the other way around. Am I incorrect to think this?
    What options? Paper towels at Costco instead of Sams?

The supposed gap between OKC and Tulsa in terms of retail may have been true at one point but its ridiculous and untrue to keep pushing it at this point. Its been disproven several times on here so I won't even try to list it again.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    It has already been hashed numerous times but it's too bad you won't be able to buy wine and liquor in the Oklahoma stores, unless they are using some loophole. That's one of the best things about Costco. Other than that it's just a nicer Sam's Club.
    This first store will have an attached liquor store, but under current law Costco will only be allowed one location selling liquor.

Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    This first store will have an attached liquor store, but under current law Costco will only be allowed one location selling liquor.
    I am guessing they found a local partner? Oklahoma law requires any liquor store to be a sole proprietorship and the owner to have lived in the state for at least ten years. This prevents chains from setting up detached liquor stores like they do in other states. I heard Trader Joe's had figured out a way around it and I am guessing that is also what Costco may be doing. However, being that they will only have one with liquor, does this also mean the OKC location, if it happens, will not have an attached liquor store?

Seriously, if we're going to look at bragging rights between the two cities, the Thunder trump anything that Tulsa could "get", short of an NFL team. Certainly not a grocery store or discount store.

Comparing the two is just silly.

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    seriously, if we're going to look at bragging rights between the two cities, the thunder trump anything that tulsa could "get", short of an nfl team. Certainly not a grocery store or discount store.

Comparing the two is just silly.
    Checkmate!

I would also say that retail offerings in both cities is lacking and that both should set their sites higher then just comparing to each other.

I'm sure the amount of people driving to Dallas to shop has drastically decreased since you can now get almost anything through the Internet.
    I agree with you Pete. I do 90% of my retail shopping now on-line. I hardly ever go to a store to buy shoes or shirts. I only buy jeans/pants in stores, and I have a lot more shirts than pants. Everything else I buy on-line or at Lowe's. I am happy. Nothing more needs to come to OKC.

You are perfectly correct and logical to think this way. Given the economy and momentum in OKC there is no reason this city should still be lagging Tulsa in any meaningful way.

Of course OKC has the Thunder and Tulsa does not. The exposure that has brought to OKC and the wonders its done for downtown cannot be understated. However, there is more to being a great city with a great quality of life than having pro-sports. That's part of the puzzle but its only one piece. Austin has zero pro-sports and its currently one of the most desirable places to live in the US.

23. Default Re: Costco in Active Negotiations

Of course Costco is also based in Seattle. I'm sure the Thunder issue didn't play into it at all....lol

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    Of course Costco is also based in Seattle. I'm sure the Thunder issue didn't play into it at all....lol
    Didn't think of that. That is a possibility.

OKC is getting a second Uptown Grocery (nicer than anything in Tulsa) and likely the state's first Trader Joe's.
    IMO Whole Foods is nicer, and the newest Tulsa WF is really nice. I agree Uptown Grocery is a great store though and hopefully they continue to expand in the metro. There is a store in Tulsa called Fresh Market (from North Carolina) that reminded me of Trader Joe's, similar small size, good selection of produce and lots of packaged items. I think they would do well in OKC/Norman as an alternative to the eventual Trader Joe's. I'm really just not that impressed by TJ's but I know some people love it.

Thread Information