Widgets Magazine
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 91011121314

Thread: The Half (9000 Broadway)

1. Default Re: The Half (9000 Broadway)

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Its an interesting concept so hopefully the prices come down. Also, your also paying for bragging rights and atmosphere when you go to events in person. If I'm paying too much for a video screen, I would want the traditional television views and commentary.

Do they keep the same view throughout the same event? What if I want to pretend to be someone who can afford lower level seats?
    The view is based on the play that is happening. In some views you actually feel like you are in the endzone. There is a video going around of the Texas vs. Michigan game and the camera tracks the pass from the view of the Ref. That basically mean you have similar endzone view of the Ref. They also have goal line cameras for running plays. The view does not stay the same for the whole game.

Default Re: The Half (9000 Broadway)

Quote Originally Posted by OkieBerto View Post
    The view is based on the play that is happening. In some views you actually feel like you are in the endzone. There is a video going around of the Texas vs. Michigan game and the camera tracks the pass from the view of the Ref. That basically mean you have similar endzone view of the Ref. They also have goal line cameras for running plays. The view does not stay the same for the whole game.
    That's cool!

I think the concept has potential. I also think it is going to take 3 to 5 years to get to OKC and fulfill it's potential. Looks to me that it is NCAA football, NBA and Premier League Soccer as the main draws currently. How it works out streaming rights agreements, and the costs associated, will tell us how it really does. I had a dozen "why it won't work(s)" in my mind. And then I decided I need to wait and experience it in person.

had to see it for myself. this would be worth checking out in person.

Imagine watching the Texas-Michigan game like this ���� (youtube.com)

It looks pretty awesome, but seems like it could be tough for OKC to get this any time reasonably soon to me unless/until they are able to expand the broadcast/videoing to the teams in our market on a very regular basis, which, even in a best case scenario probably aren't high enough on the priority list of games across the country to be able to be shown in these enough to make it viable.

And call me a pessimist, but once the novelty factor wore off I'm not sure we're a big enough market to keep this full for whatever games they end up showing (I'm assuming these are all live events and not replays?), as they will have to compete for die hard sports fans' time - rather than money - who will likely rather watch the OU/OSU/Thunder/TU/etc. game in person or on TV instead of going to watch what ever the big Saturday games of the week happened to be at this place. Compare this to Dallas/Houston/Chicago/etc. which has enough die hard alumni from basically every school in America/die hard fans of every pro team that will keep this full no matter what is being shown.

If they could figure out how to get their cameras in substantially all/most "legit" games around the country and then target what I shown to each location that would be great, but gotta imagine that's a tough ask and way down the road through an acquisition or partnership with one or more of the major networks. Would be cool if the networks grouped up like they did with Hulu to make it more of a possibility though.

That said, awesome concept and I hope to experience it and would love to be proven wrong in OKC.

6. Default Re: The Half (9000 Broadway)

Quote Originally Posted by Timshel View Post
    It looks pretty awesome, but seems like it could be tough for OKC to get this any time reasonably soon to me unless/until they are able to expand the broadcast/videoing to the teams in our market on a very regular basis, which, even in a best case scenario probably aren't high enough on the priority list of games across the country to be able to be shown in these enough to make it viable.

And call me a pessimist, but once the novelty factor wore off I'm not sure we're a big enough market to keep this full for whatever games they end up showing (I'm assuming these are all live events and not replays?), as they will have to compete for die hard sports fans' time - rather than money - who will likely rather watch the OU/OSU/Thunder/TU/etc. game in person or on TV instead of going to watch what ever the big Saturday games of the week happened to be at this place. Compare this to Dallas/Houston/Chicago/etc. which has enough die hard alumni from basically every school in America/die hard fans of every pro team that will keep this full no matter what is being shown.

If they could figure out how to get their cameras in substantially all/most "legit" games around the country and then target what I shown to each location that would be great, but gotta imagine that's a tough ask and way down the road through an acquisition or partnership with one or more of the major networks. Would be cool if the networks grouped up like they did with Hulu to make it more of a possibility though.

That said, awesome concept and I hope to experience it and would love to be proven wrong in OKC.
    I think most of this is spot on. As much as it would be cool to have, we likely don't have the Population they are looking for currently. The Three places they have either opened or plan to open so far have been large highly populated Cities. LA, Dallas, and Atlanta. That being said, one of the Investment managers said this, "The mesmerizing viewing experience guarantees the Cosm customer the best seats in the arena and the best viewing angle at any moment of the live event, at an affordable ticket price. We see the potential for there to be a Cosm venue in every major US city in the coming years, and beyond."

Seems to me that every person at COSM is subtracting from an OTA, Cable, or streaming contract the teams/leagues have with a provider. Those old and deep pocketed companies pay a lot of money for those rights, and they aren't usually supportive of anything that reduces their revenue stream.

I don't think any home games of a team would be on COSM. Especially in a small market like Oklahoma City. An immersive experience that is almost as good as being there, along with the benefit of being cheaper, easier to attend, and has better/cheaper Food &Beverage has to be seen as a threat to the home game experience/revenue.

Thread Information