Widgets Magazine
Page 14 of 40 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: County Jail

Default Re: County Jail

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/news...te/7037050002/

Another inmate, Curtis Montrell Williams, who had been held since April of 2019 on a pending felon in possession of a firearm, rape, and numerous other charges including multiple counts for having contraband in the jail and one assault on an officer, was killed following a hostage situation. DA Prater has gone on record saying the Jail Trust is incompetent and that it has never been so corrupt at the jail. 9 inmates have died since the trust took over.

And when protesters appeared outside the jail, they were met with deputies in full tactical gear and had beanbag guns pointed at them for peacefully protesting. I really don't understand the need to have a tactical response at the jail's entrance. Once inside the entrance, to get to any of the back offices, you'd have to have one of the nice folks behind the bullet proof glass and concrete buzz you through a highly secure door that itsn't going to open unless someone inside opens it.

Blog Entries

The jail was dumped onto the trust's lap with virtually no effort by the sheriff to aid in the transition. The reigning law enforcement and DA were hopeful there would be failure so they can sell the public on their own brand of management, even thought it has failed spectacularly. From the outside, it looks like a big power play and it seems the police organizations hate to lose, no matter the cost. They had decades to clean it up and haven't been able to, but it doesn't seem like they want anyone else to if they can't be the boss. At least that is the way it looks. Please tell me how that impression is wrong.

3. Default Re: County Jail

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    https://www.oklahoman.com/story/news...te/7037050002/

Another inmate, Curtis Montrell Williams, who had been held since April of 2019 on a pending felon in possession of a firearm, rape, and numerous other charges including multiple counts for having contraband in the jail and one assault on an officer, was killed following a hostage situation. DA Prater has gone on record saying the Jail Trust is incompetent and that it has never been so corrupt at the jail. 9 inmates have died since the trust took over.

And when protesters appeared outside the jail, they were met with deputies in full tactical gear and had beanbag guns pointed at them for peacefully protesting. I really don't understand the need to have a tactical response at the jail's entrance. Once inside the entrance, to get to any of the back offices, you'd have to have one of the nice folks behind the bullet proof glass and concrete buzz you through a highly secure door that itsn't going to open unless someone inside opens it.
    Likely as a result of the "peaceful protests" led by BLM back in 2020 in OKC and major cities across the nation.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

The jail needs a dedicated funding source for a new facility and ongoing operating funds to humanely operate the facility on an ongoing basis. At this point, you basically need enough money to pay everyone there a minimum of $25/hr to ensure you can attract decent candidates. Further, we probably need a (new) federal consent decree with an onsite monitor to ensure civil rights aren't being violated. I think it's easy to point the blame here, but in the end, the citizens of Oklahoma County and the leadership in charge of the jail need a whole new lesson on trust and accountability being a two way street.

As a citizen of Oklahoma City, I wish the city ran it's own jail facilities again to put accountability for our own back under the City Manager and the Council. But I realize that's no solution for the other residents of OK County.

Quote Originally Posted by AnguisHerba View Post
    The jail needs a dedicated funding source for a new facility and ongoing operating funds to humanely operate the facility on an ongoing basis. At this point, you basically need enough money to pay everyone there a minimum of $25/hr to ensure you can attract decent candidates. Further, we probably need a (new) federal consent decree with an onsite monitor to ensure civil rights aren't being violated. I think it's easy to point the blame here, but in the end, the citizens of Oklahoma County and the leadership in charge of the jail need a whole new lesson on trust and accountability being a two way street.

As a citizen of Oklahoma City, I wish the city ran it's own jail facilities again to put accountability for our own back under the City Manager and the Council. But I realize that's no solution for the other residents of OK County.
    I agree. They need a safe, clean and humane place to detain those who need to be detained. Humane for the guards too. They need to be safe from attacks, and also make decent wages.

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    Likely as a result of the "peaceful protests" led by BLM back in 2020 in OKC and major cities across the nation.
    On the worst day of our protests, a bail bonds and a not-for profit were burned and a few windows were broken. I doubt that the sherriff van would have been burned had the sherriff not had such a disproportionate response.

And at what they pay the detention officers, I would think they'd be much happier working for Hobby Lobby making better pay and benefits than walking floors solo where violent offenders can roam freely and take guards hostage.

Quote Originally Posted by AnguisHerba View Post
    The City could build a jail and charge other municipalities for its use. If only there was an effective unit of government which could manage certain affairs accross the entire county. We haven't seen anything like that around these parts lately.

The City could build a jail and charge other municipalities for its use. If only there was an effective unit of government which could manage certain affairs accross the entire county. We haven't seen anything like that around these parts lately.
    To be honest, I would like to go a step further and legislate the county out of existence in the OKC and Tulsa metro areas. I firmly believe that for democracy to survive and thrive in the 21st century, citizens need to see a direct connection between their votes and government action. In large metro areas, the county layer of gov't just doesn't seem necessary. Passing the buck only benefits those who enjoy the status quo. But I also get that it's a more nuanced issue and change is difficult. With the structure we have now, the cynical side of me just thinks the county is waiting on the city to give them a boatload of cash to move/rebuild the jail.

Yeah... we need the county structure for infrastructure, law enforcement in unincorporated areas and for our courts.

Like others a city county government would be a lot more effective and accountable to the citizens. I don't have anything against the Sheriff, assessor, court clerk, but I think it's crazy that they are elected instead of hired like a city manager, or police chief of a city. There are other metro areas across the country that have combined both governments.

I am so sick of this whole thing. This city has made great strides, but 2/3 of the county leadership might as well represent Gotebo. Scary and corrupt. My blood pressure has risen dramatically about this story, the blatant theft of the CARES funds, the terrible Oklahoman article that doesn't even mention the perspective of a single incarcerated person, and the system that has promulgated this cesspool of failure and good ol' boy corruption for decades.

Also mad at John Echols for his fake principled stand against the incompetence, when he is an investor in private incarceration. I've always thought him a rare bright spot of Senate leadership, but now I know he is lining his pockets as a private imprisoner. This whole situation is Medieval and gross.

This state needs to change dramatically. Here's hoping it starts here.

Blog Entries

Are we suggesting that the city and county merge/co-terminate like cities such as Philadelphia have done? Probably a little harder since OKC spills into so many counties...

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Are we suggesting that the city and county merge/co-terminate like cities such as Philadelphia have done? Probably a little harder since OKC spills into so many counties...
    currently it would not be legal to do in our state ...

but a combined OKC city county government would be a great thing

Blog Entries

I realize it would be unconstitutional at present. We'd need an IP, but I think the state would have a conniption...

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Also mad at John Echols for his fake principled stand against the incompetence, when he is an investor in private incarceration. I've always thought him a rare bright spot of Senate leadership, but now I know he is lining his pockets as a private imprisoner. This whole situation is Medieval and gross.
    I believe I read that the medical firm he is part owner of has issued demands to the Trust and that if those demands are not met re prisoner care and safety, the contract will be terminated. I generally don't have much good to say about Senate Republicans, but John Echols is a good guy.

I believe I read that the medical firm he is part owner of has issued demands to the Trust and that if those demands are not met re prisoner care and safety, the contract will be terminated. I generally don't have much good to say about Senate Republicans, but John Echols is a good guy.
    I agree he seems like a good guy. My point is he is making money off of private prison contracts, which I find odious.

17. Default Re: County Jail

Quote Originally Posted by artynok View Post
    Like others a city county government would be a lot more effective and accountable to the citizens. I don't have anything against the Sheriff, assessor, court clerk, but I think it's crazy that they are elected instead of hired like a city manager, or police chief of a city. There are other metro areas across the country that have combined both governments.
    We elect ours here as well. But the BIG difference is we have only ONE County Executive (not 3) and a county council, they are held accountable the same way as the mayors and councils of Seattle and Tacoma are and voices from the people are heard. ...

I believe the county sheriffs/clerks etc have to be elected because they are sworn-in to the state/nation whereas the city chiefs are appointed under the govt of the city. The weird one is the State Police. ...

I believe Midtowner may have excellent legal insight on how this all works. ..

18. Default Re: County Jail

Also, Denver has combined city/county even though it spilled into Arapaho and Adams counties; Denver is just cut out with the balance left to those counties.

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    We elect ours here as well. But the BIG difference is we have only ONE County Executive (not 3) and a county council, they are held accountable the same way as the mayors and councils of Seattle and Tacoma are and voices from the people are heard. ...

I believe the county sheriffs/clerks etc have to be elected because they are sworn-in to the state/nation whereas the city chiefs are appointed under the govt of the city. The weird one is the State Police. ...

I believe Midtowner may have excellent legal insight on how this all works. ..
    Yeah, it's kind of complicated. The only elected CITY officials are the mayor and council. Everyone else is hired according to their resume. The mayor does make some consequential committee appointments, but is more of a cheerleader than a person with acutal authority.

The County is run by the three elected Commissioners. The Court Clerk and the County Clerk are also elected officials. David Hooten and Rick Warren were the only Republicans I voted for in '20. We also elect our Sheriff They both do outstanding jobs. If I could change things up, I'd have more commissioners in larger counties. Those three guys have a lot of power and there's quite a history of corruption in this State with County Commissioners.

It all gets confusing because the City contracts with the County for the use of its jail. The City did at one time operate its own jail on the top 3 or so floors of the old Police Headquarters. They then moved to using the Jail on the top few floors of the County Courthouse, which is still used, but only for holding prisoners there for their day of court, and prisoner/attorney meetings. It's an interesting place. The furniture probably came with the building.

The State Police aren't interesting... you have the Highway Patrol and the OSBI and various other concerns like ABLE.

Some legislators are asking the justice department to intervene here with the recent tragedies. I say it’s about time.

https://freepressokc.com/okc-state-l...k-county-jail/

21. Default Re: County Jail

We're really going to have to be forced to pay up to build a new facility too. I'm not sure why its taken so long for it to come up in a vote to the people. We can't fix this dump. It is going to have to be dozed and rebuilt somewhere that's probably not so near downtown and thus cheaper land. They can move on and rebuild the rest of the county offices near the new facility too. The county offices are some of the most dated and crappy buildings we have downtown (inside and out).

Hey this is cool, so the jail trust was supposedly formed to be part of the justice reform and fix our horrible system that seeks to incarcerate for anything with the “lock em up and throw away the key” mentality. So what did this trust do?

“ Violating these rules can result in a misdemeanor charge punishable by up to one year in jail and a fine of up to $1,000. Arnall pointed out that they would risk increasing the population of the jail by adding new crimes to their books. She said that one of the purposes of the Trust was to reduce the jail population and to pursue criminal justice reforms.”

https://freepressokc.com/jail-trust-...ring-meetings/

Because free speech.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Hey this is cool, so the jail trust was supposedly formed to be part of the justice reform and fix our horrible system that seeks to incarcerate for anything with the “lock em up and throw away the key” mentality. So what did this trust do?

“ Violating these rules can result in a misdemeanor charge punishable by up to one year in jail and a fine of up to $1,000. Arnall pointed out that they would risk increasing the population of the jail by adding new crimes to their books. She said that one of the purposes of the Trust was to reduce the jail population and to pursue criminal justice reforms.”

https://freepressokc.com/jail-trust-...ring-meetings/

Because free speech.
    People need to be respectful at these meetings and not abuse their access. There is a time and place for public comment--and that's a time and place for commenting, not disrupting or creating a scene. I can't recall a time when a Jail Trust meeting was overrun by protesters, but maybe they're all looking to shorten their meetings by lessening the time spent on public comment. If you really want a dialog with a Trust member, email them.

This isn't about "free speech" as a meeting of the Jail Trust is not a public forum, and thus, you don't have the right to break their rules and speak out of turn. If you want to get a permit and hold a protest right outside? Go for it.

^^ I'm not sure if it would qualify as "overrun" but I recall that when they announced that some Covid funds were going to the jail trust the protesters did disrupt the meeting where the vote was to take place so much they had to shut down and delay the vote. I expect that was the motivation of this action.

^^^ Oklahoma government is scared of people not just being “polite” and sitting cute taking what they hear and dealing with it. I have no doubt you are correct.

Mid, that’s all fine and well. I’m not sure what being a public forum or not has anything to with it. I’m pretty sure public forums have rules as well. This is a public meeting with a right to have your voice heard. We don’t need to be telling people what to say or banning certain things like profanity or something that you’d consider to be “disruptive.” That’s bloody absurd and no doubt will be used to keep the common man in check.

There are tensions because we have one of the worst jails in the nation where people are dying seemingly monthly or more and nothing is being done about it. The jail trust has completely failed and is an utter joke. This was supposed to be about true reform. They just added a former prison boss to the team. What is going to change? Oklahoma politics and it’s government just want to keep living in the 20th century.

More racism, more discrimination, more of the good ol boy mentality, and keeping the same same.

Thread Information