Widgets Magazine
Page 14 of 217 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181964114 ... LastLast

Thread: Convention Center

Default Re: Convention Center Hotel

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Yep
    Plus, what JTF said. Their not doing dual men and womens tournaments anymore. So the college basketball issue is irrelevant now.
    Seems crazy stupid on the Big XII's part, but that's their problem. Given that reality, we can definitely do without the Myriad (oops I guess I should say Cox) arena.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    LA Kings to LA Lakers to LA Clippers in one day.

not able to see the photo or link you posted there... now i know that they hosted 6 events in 4 days during the playoffs this year... and they were talking about how on that saturday you had the Clippers, then the Lakers.... then on sunday you had the Kings, and then the Clippers... and how that was unprecedented and extremely rare.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/17/sp...-playoffs.html

so i'm not sure when the event you are trying to show of it happening all in one day occurred... but i can't find any news stories talking about there being all three on one day.

now if you are linking to the youtube video of the changes made to the arena in a time lapse video, that actually took place over 4 days not 1 day... cause i've seen that video before

Sorry about the link not working. One day, four days, it doesn't matter. The Peake can be changed over in a few hours and with only the Thunder and Barons as tenants it isn't like there is overwhelming demand for arena space. Besides, we are talking 6 to 10 years from now anyhow.

http://losangeles.sbnation.com/los-a...staples-center

This, as it has come to be known by many Angelenos, is "Sportsageddon." Over the last four days, the Staples Center, which sits in downtown L.A., hosted a total of six playoff games - Game 3 of the Kings-Phoenix Coyotes series on Thursday night, Game 3 of the Lakers-Oklahoma City Thunder series on Friday night, Game 3 of the Clippers-San Antonio Spurs series and Game 4 of the Lakers-Thunder on Saturday, and lastly, Games 4 of the Kings-Coyotes and Clippers-Spurs on Sunday. That's five playoff games in 72 hours. Not to mention the final stage of the Amgen Tour of California, an annual eight-day cycling race, finished in front of Staples on Sunday morning.

Blog Entries

I was once asked on another topic by JTF why I was trying to compare OKC and NYC. I think this begs the same question, why compare OKC to LA. The LA area has a huge number of large venues and lots more $$. I am not advocating keeping the Cox Center, but the considerations and capabilities are totally different. I still think the Cox will be redundant and agree the blocks need re-opened, and I would bet that is eventually what happens....in 10 years. However, I am pretty sure it will NOT be the site of the FIRST new CC Hotel, the subject of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by KilgoreTrout View Post
    How many teams play in the Staples Center in LA? I think OKC would be fine with one arena.
    That's what I meant by my post near the end of the last page. In April, they had Game 3 against us, the next day the Clippers against the Grizzlies, the next day a Kings hockey game, the next day another game against us, the next day a Kings hockey match up earlier in the day followed by another Kings/Clippers matchup. If They can organize several events in a balls to walls type environment, I'm certainly positive SMG can do the same with the Chesapeake Arena.

6. Default Re: Convention Center Hotel

Quote Originally Posted by sidburgess View Post
    Hahahahahaha I love it

7. Default Re: Convention Center Hotel

Quote Originally Posted by Oil Capital View Post
    How is the Big XII planning to do its mens and womens tournaments without 2 arenas?
    Well separating the two tourneys certainly indicates that's not as big of a deal any more.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I was once asked on another topic by JTF why I was trying to compare OKC and NYC. I think this begs the same question, why compare OKC to LA. The LA area has a huge number of large venues and lots more $$. I am not advocating keeping the Cox Center, but the considerations and capabilities are totally different. I still think the Cox will be redundant and agree the blocks need re-opened, and I would bet that is eventually what happens....in 10 years. However, I am pretty sure it will NOT be the site of the FIRST new CC Hotel, the subject of this thread.
    We aren't comparing LA and OKC - we are comparing Staple Center and Chesapeake Arena. There are some people who don't think Chespeake Arena can meet the scheduling demands of OKC (think about that for a minute), when arenas in other cities seem to have no problem doing it.

Blog Entries

Seems like we have already been missing out on a number of high profile concerts that now go to Tulsa and Wichita because of scheduling conflicts. Guess we could afford to miss a few more. No big deal.

Seems like we have already been missing out on a number of high profile concerts that now go to Tulsa and Wichita because of scheduling conflicts. Guess we could afford to miss a few more. No big deal.
    Assuming that was true. The Cox Center is in no way comparable to what they have in Tulsa and Wichita.

Scheduling conflict? Why couldn't the concerts just use the Cox arena? Is it not good enough or something?

However, I am pretty sure it will NOT be the site of the FIRST new CC Hotel, the subject of this thread.
    I certainly hope you are correct on this one Rover. That would definitely not be the best use of that site.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    Scheduling conflict? Why couldn't the concerts just use the Cox arena? Is it not good enough or something?
    It isn't Large enough for major concerts and it too has dates with the hockey team. Tulsa has benefitted too by us having so many Thunder dates. But thats okay, let the smaller towns have the concerts, conventions and that kind of stuff. We don't need it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by KilgoreTrout View Post
    The bigger issue is that if they botch the CC, the least popular MAPS3 item that has curiously been prioritized, they may turn public opinion against future MAPS projects. I'm very worried that the hubris of a few leaders is going to end the public investment that has greatly assisted OKC's renaissance. ;(
    I have it from an insider that the Convention Center polled 7% in my ward, which is Larry McAtee's ward. Amazing to think he's such a sock puppet for developers and the Convention Center mafia. Perhaps he just wants to stay on the cocktail party invite list. I compared the CC polling in my ward to the popularity of Mitt Romney with African-American voters (a recent NBC-Wall Street Journal poll showed Romney garnering 0% -- not a typo -- of the AA vote).

It isn't Large enough for major concerts and it too has dates with the hockey team. Tulsa has benefitted too by us having so many Thunder dates. But thats okay, let the smaller towns have the concerts, conventions and that kind of stuff. We don't need it anyway.
    Say what? So OKC should shoehorn all of its entertainment options into NBA basketball? What an absurd statement. Certainly if we're a "major league" city we can walk and chew gum at the same time.

That's just the reality of having OKC's arena booked. OKC is not going to get a 2nd arena comparable to BOK in Tulsa or Intrust in Wichita... So, the Cox should be replaced once there is something worthwhile to replace it.

Blasphemy!

What other events besides the Barons does the Cox Center hold? And you can't count conventions besides the new convention center will hold these. I know this will get people riled up, but after the convention center gets built the Cox arena will sit empty 75% of the year and not even be half full when it does get used.

Actually, rent is why Barrons don't use the Cheaspeake Arena, not the Thunder or Concerts. Doesn't make economic sense for them to pay more for a mostly empty arena.

After reading posts like this, I'm beginning to think Rover is a plant, designed to create distracting side discussions. The focus of this thread is the Convention Center hotel; his musings about whether OKC "needs" concerts and ephemeral entertainment are obtuse and completely unrelated to the thread topic.

Im pretty sure I saw Page & Plant in concert at the Cox Center in 1998. What's changed since? Its fully functional as a concert venue...that is until its torn down one day.

sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by mcca7596 View Post
    sarcasm
    Unfortunately, I don't think it is.

So if it (Cox Arena) is too small then why not get rid of it? Are we really going to tie up that land for a minor league hockey team? Your 3rd sentence was pure over the top non-sense.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    After reading posts like this, I'm beginning to think Rover is a plant, designed to create distracting side discussions. The focus of this thread is the Convention Center hotel; his musings about whether OKC "needs" concerts and ephemeral entertainment are obtuse and completely unrelated to the thread topic.
    Personally, I kind of think 'You' are the plant.....lol

If you remember on the lack of concerts, it was due to the arena being shut down for renovations, so the concerts had to go to the BOK.

Blog Entries

No plant. I've tried redirecting this discussion to the hotel several times, but everyone keeps wanting to talk about tearing down the Cox. I'm just playing along. And the third line was sarcasm. It's obviously not okay to not compete. It should be important to look and see whether we are making money on each arena. And will the extra outdated exposition area be a net asset to attract bigger conventions or small overlapping conventions post new cc. At any rate, it won't be available as a site for the hotel for 10 years. It doesn't seem to be a viable option for a FIRST. Cc hotel.

Now, once again, is this a cc hotel discussion?

Thread Information