Widgets Magazine
Page 14 of 33 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: WinCo

Default Re: WinCo

This is why I'm happy I live close to the Meat House in Edmond. I can go get premium cuts from them cheaper than I've seen at any of the chains such as Crest. Plus, when I need a large batch (say 12 lbs of tri tip) I can call ahead and they'll have it packaged up for me to pick up.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Okay, everyone please calm down.

Thanks.
    I think the phrase you were searching for was...

"Simmer down"

3. Default Re: WinCo

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    How is the brisket there OKBBQ? That looks pretty nice from the pictures and I like that they haven't trimmed the crap out of it so I can do it myself.

I have to do a couple of briskets later this month and I might drive over to grab some and try out.
    Just got these last night so haven't cooked them yet but the last CAB briskets I smoked turned out great and these look good.... Only complaint I could make is I usually like to stay around 10lbs but these were the two smallest I could find at around 12lbs.... In their defense the quantity had dwindled significantly from when I was there the first time.

I have heard that this sale ends June 4th. Can't confirm that date 100%, as it's just hearsay, but you might not want to wait too long... As I mentioned above it is Limit 2.... They still have Smithfield spareribs (Limit 2) for around $0.89 a lb... That could have been $0.98 but I know it was under a dollar.

4. Default Re: WinCo

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    This is why I'm happy I live close to the Meat House in Edmond.
    Did they ever get their smoker back after it was stolen?

made it over to the moore winco today... still pretty busy at 10am on a saturday and was getting pretty crazy around an hour later when i was leaving.

prices were pretty competitive with crest... better on many things, same or worse on some things. pretty cool selection but pretty much a wash for me... and then i found the bulk food section. holy crap. gotta admit, i could pretty much live there... so many items you can buy as much or as little as you want... from trail mix, to cereal, to many kinds of flour, sugar, chocolate, pasta... i could go on. it was really impressive. for example... i bought a 1lb bag of semolina at crest a couple weeks ago for $3.99. at winco i can get the same brand in bulk for $1.89/lb. 19th is a bit out of my way for groceries, but i'll shop there from time to time for the bulk items alone.

...and i may or may not have checked out the grade on that $1.88/lb brisket. : )

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    ...and i may or may not have checked out the grade on that $1.88/lb brisket. : )
    If that's what you selected to do, that's your choice...

Here is why I loved Winco:

1. Great prices
    2. 24 hours
    3. Clean, bright stores with wide aisles
    4. High ceilings and good signage which makes stores easy to navigate
    5. Great deals on bulk items
    6. Huge selection
    7. Employees that are treated well which shows in customer service
    8. Self-checkout

Here is why I loved Winco:
    8. Self-checkout
    good to know... given the crazy amount of people there, i didn't even see the self-checkout lanes.

the only thing i thought was odd about the checkout process was self-bagging your groceries. not a big deal... just different than what i'm used to. however, i'll say they have it down to a science with the ability to switch sides on the checkout conveyors... so that a lane doesn't grind to a halt if a person is slow to bag their stuff.

Ok, I made it back over to Winco today and was able to check the briskets really good and I found a bin of the certified angus ones with the choice or higher grade sticker on them. Picked up one for 22.00 to cook up next month. They mush have 2 kinds because the bin I looked in last weekend that had them were clearly marked Select on the back of the bag and none of the ones I looked at today said that on them. So they must carry both kinds so you need to examine them carefully if you want the higher grade ones.

I wonder if WInco will be the final nail in the coffin for GFF in Moore on NW 12th and Santa Fe? we drove by on the way home last night from WInco and the parking lot was mostly empty. We stopped shopping for odds and ends items at GFF when we saw they had moldy cheese on the shelf for sale that was 2 or 3 months out of date.

From what I was told, all independent grocers in the Moore area were up sales wise last week at least 5-8%. We think WinCo coming in perhaps really slowed interest in the Walmarts of the area.

good to know... given the crazy amount of people there, i didn't even see the self-checkout lanes.

the only thing i thought was odd about the checkout process was self-bagging your groceries. not a big deal... just different than what i'm used to. however, i'll say they have it down to a science with the ability to switch sides on the checkout conveyors... so that a lane doesn't grind to a halt if a person is slow to bag their stuff.
    Cub Foods up in Chicagoland has been doing it that way for decades now, and I got used to it and like doing it that way since I can bag better/quicker than most sackers at most stores we've been to here in OKC.

13. Default Re: WinCo

and then i found the bulk food section. holy crap. gotta admit, i could pretty much live there... so many items you can buy as much or as little as you want... from trail mix, to cereal, to many kinds of flour, sugar, chocolate, pasta... i could go on. it was really impressive. for example... i bought a 1lb bag of semolina at crest a couple weeks ago for $3.99. at winco i can get the same brand in bulk for $1.89/lb. 19th is a bit out of my way for groceries, but i'll shop there from time to time for the bulk items alone.
    Pretty much my thoughts on the bulk section too.... I have always had a heck of a time finding unbleached all purpose flour for making biscuits, even going as far as having friends from the South ship me White Lily, but they have it in the buik bins and they sell King Arthur brand..... They also carry Smokey Denmark sausages. I've followed them for awhile on Instagram but never found them locally before.

Bulk King Arthur flours?

My bread baking heart just grew a size.

15. Default Re: WinCo

Quote Originally Posted by d-usa View Post
    Bulk King Arthur flours?

My bread baking heart just grew a size.
    Don't know if the bulk was King Arthur but they did have King Arthur in the baking aisle.

It's not just about very good prices (which they have) but they have a much bigger selection than an average grocery store just to shear size.

I simply can't wait until they open at 39th & Portland.

I'll be able to do 99% of my shopping in one clean, professional place with very good customer service.

I'm anxiously awaiting the one on 39th as well since it's practically within walking distance. We went to Walmart over the weekend for the fact that my better half is a die-hard Walmarter, and it was so frustrating the things they were either out of or had quit stocking - things that they had ALWAYS stocked. I strongly dislike Walmart. The bulk section at Winco alone is enough to dump Walmart.

18. Default Re: WinCo

WalMart at the first of the month? You brave soul.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    This is why I'm happy I live close to the Meat House in Edmond. I can go get premium cuts from them cheaper than I've seen at any of the chains such as Crest. Plus, when I need a large batch (say 12 lbs of tri tip) I can call ahead and they'll have it packaged up for me to pick up.
    How are their prices on big cuts like brisket and pork butts? And do they keep tri tip in stock? I need to make a trip out there, but I've always assumed their prices would be higher than Sam's, which is where I buy most of the meat I smoke.

It's not just about very good prices (which they have) but they have a much bigger selection than an average grocery store just to shear size.

I simply can't wait until they open at 39th & Portland.

I'll be able to do 99% of my shopping in one clean, professional place with very good customer service.
    Looking forward to that one, too, since I work just down the street. I'll be able to drop by on my way home to pick up dinner stuff. However, if they really do open one up by Aldi at Penn/Memorial, that will be my go-to grocery store for big shopping trips.

21. Default Re: WinCo

Quote Originally Posted by barrettd View Post
    How are their prices on big cuts like brisket and pork butts? And do they keep tri tip in stock? I need to make a trip out there, but I've always assumed their prices would be higher than Sam's, which is where I buy most of the meat I smoke.
    Prices on ribs and brisket were awesome but I'm assuming they were. Grand Opening prices. If they keep their briskets at $1.88 lb it will be my go to spot for CAB brisket.

Thought they were high on pork shoulder but I usually watch for places to put shoulders on sale for $0.99 lb or less

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    Prices on ribs and brisket were awesome but I'm assuming they were. Grand Opening prices. If they keep their briskets at $1.88 lb it will be my go to spot for CAB brisket.

Thought they were high on pork shoulder but I usually watch for places to put shoulders on sale for $0.99 lb or less
    Sorry, I was asking in regards to Meat House. A buddy of mine asked me if I thought $1.88/lb was good for brisket since he had seen them at Winco and I told him definitely if they're choice, which it appears these are. I thought $1.99/lb was good at Uptown on Memorial Day weekend. If those prices hold, I'll probably wander down there and check them out next time I'm smoking meat.

What is going with the Memorial rd and Penn store? I may take a drive to the MWC store later in the week. How is their produce section?

Quote Originally Posted by oklip955 View Post
    What is going with the Memorial rd and Penn store? I may take a drive to the MWC store later in the week. How is their produce section?
    They still haven't closed on the land at Memorial and Penn.

Lots of site issues but my understanding is they are still hoping to do something there.

25. Default Re: WinCo

Quote Originally Posted by oklip955 View Post
    Produce at the Moore location is excellent in my opinion.

Thread Information