Widgets Magazine
Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Uber coming to OKC

Default Re: Uber coming to OKC

Euro cabbies arent really big fans of Uber either. However, this is encouraging:
    Time and again in the United States, when new technologies have raised issues about consumer choice and convenience versus traditional workers’ rights, consumers have regularly won out. But in Europe, as is evident by the anti-Uber protesters disrupting the daily routines of tens of millions of people on Wednesday, that conflict is still playing out.
    You arent going to stop consumer demand for better and more efficient car service. Like napster to the music industry, the industry will just have to change or die out.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/0...=tw-share&_r=0

Cabbies in Europe went on a 1 hour strike yesterday - and it back fired big time. New subscribers to Uber went up 850% over the previous Wednesday as Uber ran ads saying that while the cabbies were on strike Uber was getting people from A to B.

Uber Demonstrations Snarl Traffic From London to Berlin - Bloomberg

Here is the thing I don't get - why are the cabbies sticking to broken model at apparently all costs. Just take the darn Taxi sign off the cab, get the Uber phone, and join the revolution. My guess is most of them don't do it for 1 of 3 reasons. 1) Their car doesn't meet Uber requirements for age and condition, 2) They can't pass the driving background check, or 3) They can't pass the criminal record check.

If only it was just NewsOK. I had a young lady get in the car last week and she mentioned the incident in San Francisco where the guy abducted the woman. I had to explain to her that while the guy did drive for Uber and the woman did have the Uber app on her phone - he was NOT driving for Uber at the time and she was NOT an Uber customer at the time. The way the media reports it, if I robbed a bank this afternoon the headline would be Uber Driver Robs Bank.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    Cabbies in Europe went on a 1 hour strike yesterday - and it back fired big time. New subscribers to Uber went up 850% over the previous Wednesday as Uber ran ads saying that while the cabbies were on strike Uber was getting people from A to B.

Uber Demonstrations Snarl Traffic From London to Berlin - Bloomberg

Here is the thing I don't get - why are the cabbies sticking to broken model at apparently all costs. Just take the darn Taxi sign off the cab, get the Uber phone, and join the revolution. My guess is most of them don't do it for 1 of 3 reasons. 1) Their car doesn't meet Uber requirements for age and condition, 2) They can't pass the driving background check, or 3) They can't pass the criminal record check.
    I am not sure about the rest of Europe but I used several taxis in London just this week and they were clean and well maintained for. I have actually paid attention and over the last several trips trips to London, I have never seen a dirty cab let alone one that had any type of dent or damage to it. I think the London cabs are highly regulated. I am in Venice now and it it nothing but water taxis that are extremely expensive. I am guessing regulations keep them from offering something more cost efficient between the vaporettos (water buses) and the water tXis. Min. Charge on water taxi starts at 15 euros which is about 20 bucks US before the distance starts running. We looked at going from Rialto bridge area down to st marks and if I was reading the chart right...it was close to 60 euros. A day pass on the vaporetto is 20 euros for 24 hours. Much better price.

London is known for clean their black cabs are and it takes years to become a taxi driver there as they have to memorize every street in the city. However, that training comes at a steep price. Uber is 40% less than taking a London cab. Plus, a London cab medallion cost $500,000. You have to drive a cab for a long time just to break even.

In Tehran they have taken the Uber concept a step further, and it is a system OKC should look at. Tehran has a traditional taxi system but they also have private taxis (anyone who owns a car) that run fixed routes. They are a supplement to the mass transit systems. In exchange for driving the fixed route the car owner is given 60 liters of subsidized gasoline and gets to keep the fares collected on his route. This is much cheaper than maintaining a bus system and ensures that supply meets demand throughout the day - unlike a bus system that has a fixed number of buses.

Regulating cabs: No knowledge needed | The Economist

6. Default Re: Uber coming to OKC

Also, if the driver is late you may cut off his ear, and if it happens again you may stone him to death. It's really a super system.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Also, if the driver is late you may cut off his ear, and if it happens again you may stone him to death. It's really a super system.
    I'm not going to defend the religious and social practice of Muslims, but Tehran is one of the easiest and least expensive cities in the world to travel in. Even a broken watch can be right 2 times a day.

8. Default Re: Uber coming to OKC

Wow. I never thought I'd see you post something like that...

Tehran is NOT Mogadishu.

I'm not going to defend the religious and social practice of Muslims, but Tehran is one of the easiest and least expensive cities in the world to travel in. Even a broken watch can be right 2 times a day.
    AHAHAHAH loloOOOLOLOLOOLLOOLLolo

We'll see for my own experience as I might be going come July and if isn't this year, it will be the next, but let me tell you and anyone else on here, my entire family pretty much was born in Iran; most lived in Tehran, and sir, that is a load of bullsh!t. Tehran is one of the most miserable cities to drive in and the pollution is so bad there when you wear a white shirt, it will change color.

You want to talk about taxi drivers there, you wouldn't believe the stories if I told you. They are also planning massive expansion of their highway system and preparing to demo parts of the mountains that surround the city. I'm not sure where you are getting your information, but I know for a fact what you said about Tehran is not accurate.

I'll have to take your word for it PluPan as I have never been there. Here is where the info came from.

I also went to youtube and did a search on Tehran taxis and it doesn't look that bad to me. I also had no idea that Tehran had a skyline like that. For a country with nearly 40 years of US economic sanctions they seem to be doing pretty well.

I'll have to take your word for it PluPan as I have never been there. Here is where the info came from.

I also went to youtube and did a search on Tehran taxis and it doesn't look that bad to me. I also had no idea that Tehran had a skyline like that. For a country with nearly 40 years of US economic sanctions they seem to be doing pretty well.
    I've never been there either but that will change very soon, possibly next month. what I know is from family who was born there and moved here. I was adopted which is why I'm white, but even dad used to live over there during his teenage years

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I've never been there either but that will change very soon, possibly next month. what I know is from family who was born there and moved here. I was adopted which is why I'm white, but even dad used to live over there during his teenage years
    How long have they been gone? Maybe it's changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubya61 View Post
    How long have they been gone? Maybe it's changed.
    My grandfather goes there once, sometimes twice, a year.

I still have a ton of relatives who still live there and the ones that are here usually visit at least once in 5 years.

15. Default Re: Uber coming to OKC

Quote Originally Posted by andrewmperry View Post
    Wow. I never thought I'd see you post something like that...
    I'm not sure what you mean. That wasn't a comment on Islam. It was a comment on Iran. You are aware that stoning actually happens there, right? STONING. To death.

My joking (admittedly dark humor) point is this: I'm not sure we need to be taking civic pointers from Iran. JTF's (fair) point is that even a broken clock is right twice per day.

16. Default Re: Uber coming to OKC

By the way, I'm equal-opportunity here. I oppose pretty much all theocratic government.

17. Default Re: Uber coming to OKC

I'm not sure what you mean. That wasn't a comment on Islam. It was a comment on Iran. You are aware that stoning actually happens there, right? STONING. To death.
    Yes. I'm aware of that. You also realize that there are other countries that allow this form of punishment as well, right? Pakistan, northern Nigeria, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Sudan, the United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Mauritania, and Yemen.

I just feel like you using that to characterize an entire culture is a bit distasteful.

18. Default Re: Uber coming to OKC

I am in no way endorsing stoning, I just don't understand why it was necessary to bring that up...

19. Default Re: Uber coming to OKC

I wouldn't want to take civic pointers from any of the other countries you mention, either.

20. Default Re: Uber coming to OKC

Quote Originally Posted by andrewmperry View Post
    I am in no way endorsing stoning, I just don't understand why it was necessary to bring that up...
    It was black humor intended to make a point. I'm not too interested in the way Iran does things; that's all. The certainly don't strike me as a model for 21st century efficiency. Sorry if it offended you. Wasn't intended to be offensive.

Back to Uber.

Let's imagine if OKC employed the private bus system. I think it would be a huge boost. If you live in Edmond and work downtown you could just run a set route home and pick up people waiting at the stops along your route. Collect the fare from them and put it right in your pocket. Then Metro Transit would give you a $10 gas card every day for your troubles. Keep in mind that all you have to do is drive the route, it doesn't matter what time you drive the route as other people will be driving the same route as you. I am liking the idea of UberBus.

anyone have a bad Uber experience?

I think I would have ended up in Stroud had I not told the guy to turn off his "siri" directions...Of course I wasnt paying attention and I looked up and saw Penn Square Mall floating by...directions were airport to Oklahoma City University area...

I'm not sure what to do, poor rating? Feels like I got "long-hauled"...

edit: what the hell happened to this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by blangtang View Post
    anyone have a bad Uber experience?

I think I would have ended up in Stroud had I not told the guy to turn off his "siri" directions...Of course I wasnt paying attention and I looked up and saw Penn Square Mall floating by...directions were airport to Oklahoma City University area...

I'm not sure what to do, poor rating? Feels like I got "long-hauled"...

edit: what the hell happened to this thread?
    Not sure if you can still do it but on your app or email confirmation there should have been an option for "fare review". Uber would then review the route and adjust accordingly if they think you got "taken for a ride". I wonder if his Oklahoma City University got interpreted as Oklahoma State University - in which case you would have ended up in Stillwater.

as for the thread - we took a short detour through Iran. Don't worry though; you aren't charged extra for the detour.

Its true, Uber is responsive and they knocked a couple miles off the trip distance.

Quote Originally Posted by blangtang View Post
    Its true, Uber is responsive and they knocked a couple miles off the trip distance.
    Try that with a cab company.

Thread Information