Widgets Magazine
Page 14 of 38 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Big 12 Conference

Blog Entries

Default Re: Big 12 Conference

Good post Teo9969.

Wish I had the same optimism. Hope OU doesn't get the BIG HEAD as we have been known to do in some years.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Good post Teo9969.

Wish I had the same optimism. Hope OU doesn't get the BIG HEAD as we have been known to do in some years.
    Don't get me wrong - I think OU will be happy to win the conference once every 4 years. Just don't see them becoming less competitive. OU's kryptonite has always been sleep walking through games and I just don't think they'll feel comfortable doing that for a long time, I'd ever, in the SEC. They really haven't had the best competition since the early 2010s reshuffle. Some years with some good teams for sure, but even then, we've owned most of those teams for so long that the psychological advantage was legitimate.

OU is easily the strongest program to move conferences since Miami left the Big East. And the big difference is unless we have a scandal in the wings or Lincoln Riley is gone in the next 5 years, we will enter the league incredibly strong and the lesser teams will realize they've just added another Alabama type to their conference.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Oh, man…that’s totally what I meant. Sorry it was unclear in the writing. Exactly. Fall ‘22 in the SEC. Farewell tour is this season. Buckle up.
    Trips to K-State and Baylor will be interesting. And that regular season finale at OSU… oh boy that will be a Bedlam for the ages.

Anyone think OU eventually develops a rivalry with Arkansas in the SEC?

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Trips to K-State and Baylor will be interesting. And that regular season finale at OSU… oh boy that will be a Bedlam for the ages.

Anyone think OU eventually develops a rivalry with Arkansas in the SEC?
    I think it will depend on whether their program improves.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    I know this is getting off topic, but it's frustrating to continually see people parrot phrases like the "academics are not good" at schools which they know nothing about the academics. Most of the formulas used to rank universities are incredibly elitist and have almost nothing to do with "education." I've been always disgusted who rip on schools where educators and students are putting up hard work. People rely on simplistic and elitist formulas they don't understand to say simple statements like the "academics are not good." It's an uninformed, might I say uneducated, comment.

And, I'm not trying to pick on you, BoulderSooner, because a lot of people do it. I wish people would put a bit more thought into making statements like these. They're elitist and uninformed.
    no offense taken ..

really i was trying to say what pete .. said (much better than I ) below

AAU / research / reputation ...

I am of the view that in most cases (all but a very few elite schools) the quality of education (undergrad) at OSU or OU is very much the same as Indiana and wisconsin and maryland ect ...

so i think we are on the same page ..

Blog Entries

NCAA Re: Big 12 Conference

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    I think it will depend on whether their program improves.
    If SEC re-formats with Arkansas, Missouri, Oklahoma & Texas in the same pod. Will be an interesting pod with Oklahoma bordering all three states. Predict you'll see a real knock-down drag out among four schools with all games sold out.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    no offense taken ..

really i was trying to say what pete .. said (much better than I ) below

AAU / research / reputation ...

I am of the view that in most cases (all but a very few elite schools) the quality of education (undergrad) at OSU or OU is very much the same as Indiana and wisconsin and maryland ect ...

so i think we are on the same page ..
    If people think that all are the same, that is ignorant too. There are significant differences in opportunities to learn among varying universities. And very different outcomes. It would be like saying it doesn't matter if OU plays against the best in the SEC or if they play in the Mountain West. All football teams are the same. That is asinine. Schools that dedicate more assets in a better way get better production whether in football or academics. Go to Cal Tech and tell me it is the same as Texas Tech. Only the biggest ignoramuses would fail to see the difference.

I have a degree from OU and love that school.

But I also have a degree from Pepperdine and a lot of credits at UCLA and I assure you, OU is not in the same league -- not by a long shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I have a degree from OU and love that school.

But I also have a degree from Pepperdine and a lot of credits at UCLA and I assure you, OU is not in the same league -- not by a long shot.
    and someone with a Meteorology degree or Petroleum engineering degree at OU .. could say the same of about every other school that offers those with very very few exceptions ..

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    and someone with a Meteorology degree or Petroleum engineering degree at OU .. could say the same of about every other school that offers those with very very few exceptions ..
    And the various rankings show that just like they show UCLA is in another stratosphere as an overall university when compared to OU.

And the various rankings show that just like they show UCLA is in another stratosphere as an overall university when compared to OU.
    i don't think we disagree ..

To Dan's point: it's elitist to the degree that just because that school's name is on your degree, doesn't automatically mean you got a better education. It means you a degree form that institution. People's education within the same university/school/program are often times wildly different. And of course the reason for this is because education is a 2-way street.

The incentive for Big 10 schools to only accept AAU schools, then, is not because they're better at education across the board, but because it protects the notion that they are. This is enough to trick a majority of Americans into believing they need to get to the "right" place to get the best education. It's marketing versus competing. Can't jeopardize the brand...but...if enough dollars are on the table, I am 100% confident the branding will be tossed aside

Blog Entries

NCAA Re: Big 12 Conference

You Pete think we're going to do battle with you on your on turf; it would be like Cookie Monster trying to eat Big Bird.

SEC presidents meeting now.

The results of their vote are expected to be made public at 4PM CST today.

Nearly three dozen Oklahoma lawmakers sign letter expressing disappointment with OU.
    https://www.stwnewspress.com/news/ne...105b7bb44.html

Hilbert said he wouldn’t be surprised if some lawmakers file legislation next year pertaining to the realignment or attempt to stop it. But with the deal set to be finalized before the Legislature reconvenes next February, Hilbert said he doesn’t know what recourse lawmakers would have at that point.

“I frankly don’t know what options would be on the table at this time,” he said. “We’ll have to see.”

16. Default Re: Big 12 Conference

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    Nearly three dozen Oklahoma lawmakers sign letter expressing disappointment with OU.
    https://www.stwnewspress.com/news/ne...105b7bb44.html

Hilbert said he wouldn’t be surprised if some lawmakers file legislation next year pertaining to the realignment or attempt to stop it. But with the deal set to be finalized before the Legislature reconvenes next February, Hilbert said he doesn’t know what recourse lawmakers would have at that point.

“I frankly don’t know what options would be on the table at this time,” he said. “We’ll have to see.”
    Seemed like a matter of time until we heard that.

^

A signed letter!

From local politicians in and around Payne County!

Time to call the whole thing off.

You can tell they are grasping at straws by the mention of the impact on Mannford. I have never heard of Mannford seeing a boom on gamedays, and my mom lived in Mannford for 13 years. Maybe they sell more gas, but that is only 6+/- days a year or 1.64% of the year. Maybe I'm wrong, and Mannford is significantly supported by OSU gameday travel, but that still assumes that people only go to OSU games for the level of competition and not for the love of the University.

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    Seemed like a matter of time until we heard that.
    Must be republican. No offense but you can’t make things retroactively illegal not to mention OU wields enormous power I. The state.

20. Default Re: Big 12 Conference

NEWS | The @SEC Presidents & Chancellors voted unanimously Thursday to extend membership invitations to the University of Oklahoma and the University of Texas to join the SEC effective July 1, 2025, with competition to begin in all sports for the 2025-26 academic year.

https://twitter.com/SEC/status/1420859403042004997?s=20

OU and Texas regents will approve tomorrow morning then the wrangling will begin over buying out of the Big 12 in time for the 2022 season; 2023 at the latest.

Alright! Let the lawyering begin!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Alright! Let the lawyering begin!!!
    Just like every move in this process, I fully expect that OU and Texas have already planned out their next moves and their exact strategies. Lots of very smart people and lawyers involved. And they had a big headstart (at least 6 months) over all the people just now making knee-jerk reactions.

At first it was: A&M will veto this! No way it will happen!

Then: OSU, the rest of Irate 8 and the Big 12 conference will sue/legislate/tweet this idea into oblivion!

I'm very sure all that was completely expected and planned for.

Similarly, I'm sure there has always been a specific plan to get out of the Big 12 well before 2025. We'll get to see exactly how in the very near future.

Just like every move in this process, I fully expect that OU and Texas have already planned out their next moves and their exact strategies. Lots of very smart people and lawyers involved. And they had a big headstart (at least 6 months) over all the people just now making knee-jerk reactions.

At first it was: A&M will veto this! No way it will happen!

Then: OSU, the rest of Irate 8 and the Big 12 conference will sue/legislate/tweet this idea into oblivion!

I'm very sure all that was completely expected and planned for.

Similarly, I'm sure there has always been a specific plan to get out of the Big 12 well before 2025. We'll get to see exactly how in the very near future.
    Knee Jerk Reactions = The 5 Stages of Grief. Lots of denial, anger and bargaining going on lol.

Yes this has been carried out with surgical precision since the leak.

Blog Entries

Thunder Re: Big 12 Conference

Wrong turn...

Thread Information