Widgets Magazine
Page 14 of 46 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Hill, The

Default Re: The Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    As long as people keep driving their car less than a mile I am going to keep asking. My neighbor does the same thing when going to our community pool - it is a half mile and she drivers her car. She will ride her bike for exercise but if she goes to the pool she drives her car. I can't figure it out so I asked her why she does it. She said it is 100% habit - if she leaves the house she drives. It makes no sense and she said she really didn't think about it until I asked her.

Maybe it is just me - I cringe everytime I start my car and do everything to avoid driving it - including riding my bike 6 miles round trip to get fast-food. I find it interesting (and sad) that the average American starts their car 13 times a day and most don't even realize it.
    I hear you. Honestly, you're preaching to the choir about this one. I feel the same way you do except I'm nowhere near as vocal as you are about it.

If I lived in The Hill (I don't) and I worked downtown (I do) I wouldn't mind walking to work on nice days. It's a bit of a walk, but not too bad if you are in reasonable shape. But if it is cold, rainy, icy or 110 degrees in the summer then you have to have a car, even for that short distance. If we had a decent bus/trolley system for these people to catch for going to and from work then sure he might be able to leave the car behind more often.

We walk virtually everywhere downtown and nearby. For us, living on 3rd and Oklahoma, everywhere in Bricktown, the CBD, Film Row, and Automobile Alley are accessed by foot. We do drive to Midtown and currently to the Boathouse District, although once the canal extension is complete, it will be easy to walk to the river. The streetcar will make Midtown accessible without a car.

LOL - I was just asking the question. Like I said, most people don't think about it. They move and are happy their commute got shorter. I was guilty of it too. For 2 years I worked 1.5 miles from my house and drove it everyday. I even drove home for lunch. With traffic congestion it took me twice as long to drive it as it was to ride the bike. Of course, I used every excuse from it might rain to I didn't want to sweat (as if sitting in a 110 degree car for 1.5 miles didn't cause me to sweat)

Here are 3 legitimate answers: (1) weather, (2) in a rush, and (3) have to transport a lot of things between home and work.
    Who would walk to work if there's ice on the road, if it's below freezing, or if you have to walk home in a suit when it's 100 degrees (thus wasting time and water on an extra shower)? Also, I often have to bring lots of materials back and forth. Sometimes up to 30-40 lbs of books and supplies. So, while walking might work well on somedays. There are a lot of days it might not...

Not that it matters but I both live and work in Midtown, and yes, I generally drive to work. Its not that I'm lazy. My main reason is I am usually going somewhere other than my office during the day (lunch, downtown) and I usually go to the gym after work at least 3 times a week.

The handful of times I don't need to go anywhere during or after work and the weather is nice I generally do walk. More often then not, I will walk to 1492, Louies, Plaza Court, Kaisers, etc. when I'm on my own time and not under constraints.

There are definitely areas of OKC that are become walkable but everyday living without a vehicle is still a ways off, even those living in downtown. Of course I still go 2-3 weeks on a tank of gas, so I'm certainly not upset about this.

Quote Originally Posted by KilgoreTrout View Post
    Here are 3 legitimate answers: (1) weather, (2) in a rush, and (3) have to transport a lot of things between home and work.
    That is why I asked.

Well my work is actually in Midtown to be exact. It is 1.2 miles to work. I ride my motorcycle most months(except Jan Feb). I have to be at work between 530 and 630 so for me I would rather have the extra time in the morning getting up and ready. An obviously if you are from OKC you know the weather has a mind of its own and can change on a dime.

My car is paid off. My insurance runs $50 dollars a month. And I don't even use a full tank of gas in a month on either my car nor motorcycle. Gas runs me about $14 a month. So no I may not be saving the same amount as you by getting rid of my car. But I don't spend that much more and I get a lot of flexibility with it. And by the way as you can see in my previous post I have a newborn, so I do not know how well it would go over without have a car.

Now if the Mass transit systems develops and runs close by and up to midtown that would be a great alternative for me. Its just not here yet.

We do walk to all things downtown though. i.e. the restaurants, Thunder Games, and Myriad Gardens.

Thanks for the answer kjones.

This is one of the reasons I'm concerned with certain living options downtown, primarily The Hill.

http://www.boston.com/news/health/ar...2/road_hazard/

The health dangers of living so close to the highway present a problem for many people. The enormous number of tiny pollution particles caused by the amount of traffic causes greater incidences of respiratory issues, including asthma, and cardiovascular disease. Some suspect the pollution can contribute to risk of autism in children growing up near highways, though I don't believe such a link has been proven.

Here, however, is the caveat one of the researchers noted.

Brauer suggested that people view traffic pollution as one of the range of factors that may influence their heart disease risk -- which includes exercise and diet habits, smoking and the presence of any health conditions that contribute to heart disease, like diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol.

Living near major roads does not mean a person is destined for heart disease. And, Brauer noted, living in a low-traffic area does not mean a person can slack on following a healthy lifestyle.
    I wonder if there are some natural barriers or pollution capture strategies that can be utilized right next to these neighborhoods. The continuing advancement in zero or near zero emission vehicles should help as those cars and trucks become more widely used.
    Last edited by king183; 02-12-2012 at 02:07 PM. Reason: To be more precise, changed "cause autism" to "contribute"

Of course, the risks of our fast food/car culture are worse than any of the limitations to walking on some days that I mentioned.

Yes, even when the smog was bad here in L.A. (it's much, much better these days) studies showed that even with air pollution people here were healthier than average because everyone was outside so much.

Whatever very small effect there may be from cars and highways is more than offset by the ability to actually walk places.

BTW, is there any plan to connect the OK River trails with bike lanes and/or paths coming from Midtown or Deep Deuce? If I lived in one of those areas I want access to the paths for recreation without having to get in my car.

Same should be happening around Lake Hefner and other paths... People are much more likely to get out and use them if they can merely leave from home on foot or bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    BTW, is there any plan to connect the OK River trails with bike lanes and/or paths coming from Midtown or Deep Deuce? If I lived in one of those areas I want access to the paths for recreation without having to get in my car.

Same should be happening around Lake Hefner and other paths... People are much more likely to get out and use them if they can merely leave from home on foot or bike.
    Yes! When I lived in Midtown I biked to the river a few times and I had to just ride on Lincoln with barriers and both sides and no extra space. It was pretty dangerous. It's an embarrassment for the City that someone could not ride a bike to the world class rowing area that hosts bike classes. You are clearly supposed to drive it their in a car.

But these embarrassments are all over the city. For example, Westmoore High School, a school with over 2,000 students, doesn't even have sidewalks anywhere around the school. If a student wants to ride their bike to school in the morning they have to fight rush hour traffic and risk their life.

Sorry for getting off topic, but it's infuriating and embarrassing.

When they rebuilt Lincoln crosstown bridge they made it pedestrian friendly. There is a handrail for the sidewalk of the steepest part of the bridge. Curb ramps have been installed at Reno to the north. Its then a straight shot into Bricktown from there. This has all been there since November.

As for health problems related to highway pollution, its mostly caused by carbon. Simply planting trees that consume co2 would be a positive step.

Quote Originally Posted by jungmuny View Post

As for health problems related to highway pollution, its mostly caused by carbon. Simply planting trees that consume co2 would be a positive step.
    Well, the researchers were far more concerned about Particulate Matter (PM10 and PM2.5) than CO2 as the cause of the health problems. I also think Carbon Monoxide emissions are far more concerning than CO2. I'm no expert here, though--would trees consume or disperse PM in any way? And where could trees be planted in the vicinity of The Hill?

I couldn't find where PM was talked about in your links. If you have a link to a research article, please PM me or post it. Since this is a community forum, I was looking at things that the community could do to improve air quality. Trees do reduce carbon and carbon does increase health problems. I'm not sure this is the place for a more scientific discussion. If I was a stakeholder in this area, I would definitely be planting trees for several additional reasons:
    People slow down where there is attractive landscaping. This makes it safer for pedestrians.
    Shade makes traveling on foot easier, and being outside in general more fun.
    To mark the territory as well maintained, to keep vagrants away.

Between Reno and NE 4th could really use a lot of trees as this area will now become a main pedestrian/bike link to the river. I doubt anyone would get prosecuted for trespassing in order to plant trees in this area.

Quote Originally Posted by KilgoreTrout View Post
    Yes! When I lived in Midtown I biked to the river a few times and I had to just ride on Lincoln with barriers and both sides and no extra space. It was pretty dangerous. It's an embarrassment for the City that someone could not ride a bike to the world class rowing area that hosts bike classes. You are clearly supposed to drive it their in a car.
    We argue about the boathouse all the time. I bike there 2 times a day everyday from 33rd/walker. If you live in midtown, why would you take lincoln?

Quote Originally Posted by wschnitt View Post
    We argue about the boathouse all the time. I bike there 2 times a day everyday from 33rd/walker. If you live in midtown, why would you take lincoln?
    Because I made stops over in Bricktown often times...

Yes, being a cyclist and commuting by bike, this city is not the most bike friendly, but it is possible. Even today I biked.

Quote Originally Posted by wschnitt View Post
    Yes, being a cyclist and commuting by bike, this city is not the most bike friendly, but it is possible. Even today I biked.
    Hi-five, winter bike commuting buddy.

On topic, I really would like to see our trails and lanes connected into a network. I live near Lake Hefner(east side) and would love the trails to be connect to the Overholster ones, or the Katy trail so I could ride downtown in the nice weather to hang out in Bricktown. It's doable now, but I've had enough aggressive driver experiences on the roads here that I'm not likely to do it.

nm

This is the area desperately in need of trees in order to become an "urban trail":

This path would leverage the undeveloped part of Bricktown/DD by turning them into a tree-lined pedestrian/bike path. It would also serve to connect AA foottraffic with the river/Bricktown. Maybe the Hill developers could invest in this plan and market their project as "within biking distance of the Oklahoma River"

Haven't been on here in a while but wanted to update everyone on progress at The Hill. I posted a couple of months ago about my experience I've had living at The Hill and I am still loving it! SUPER excited and proud of all the forward momentum we continue to see in OKC also! What an exciting time we ALL are in!

There have been several home sales in the complex since July of 2011. Including my unit, 7 homes have sold and closed at The Hill in the past 7 months! I'd say that's a pretty good indication that downtown living is catching a lot of attention. I actually just put in an offer today to purchase a larger, 2,700 square foot unit for myself in the newest section of the complex (plan on keeping my current, 2 bedroom unit for a rental property as I think a townhome offers an ideal investment property opportunity--little to no maintenance and the property will cash flow well based on the rent you can charge for a nice downtown unit).

When I was visiting with the sales rep, he also let me know that 4 other units are under contract as we speak--all slated to close in March (will be 5 if everything goes well on mine). That will push them up to a total of 11 units sold in less than 8 months when March rolls around. It really excites me that the project is going well and that's part of the reason I decided to buy a unit that is almost double the size of my current home.

They're over 60% sold on the original building and at this pace, I wouldn't be surprised if the original building is sold out in the next 12 to 18 months. The newest building that houses the larger units between 2,600 & 3,700 is just about complete and the response seems pretty good there too....1 of those units has already closed (January 2012) and if my contract works out, there should be 2 more of the larger homes sold in March, so that would only leave 5 of the larger homes.

Glad to see downtown continuing to light up! Viva OKC!

Great to hear of the momentum in sales at the hill! all the best on your purchase, I can only guess at how nice it is. Pics later?

Thanks for the update, Okie Yorker.

Any news on starting the clubhouse/pool or another phase of townhouses?

Thread Information