Widgets Magazine
Page 14 of 34 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: IKEA

1. Default re: IKEA coming to OKC?

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    This thread won't die will it? Not happening and if someone put a sign up at crossroads then they are playing a joke. I've said this several times in this thread , ikea officials have stated they will only open a store in a metro area with 2million+ people. We are not there, end of thread.
    IF an Ikea official ever said that he/she was either lying or clueless. It is demonstratively false. Ikea currently has stores in Charlotte (metro population 1.75 million); Salt Lake City (metro population 1.1 million); and Austin (metro population 1.7 million).

Ikea has announced they plan a major expansion in the United States over the rest of this decade. No doubt, OKC is not at the top of their prospect list, but I would not be surprised to see a store in OKC around the end of this decade.

Default re: IKEA coming to OKC?

Quote Originally Posted by tucy View Post
    Charlotte already had 1.5 million in its metro in 2000.
    That was its CSA (Combined Statistical Area) figure which includes some extra counties. If you use that figure today, Charlotte has 2.1 million. It's MSA was 1.3 million in 2000 and is 1.7 million in 2010.

As for IKEA, I think somewhere near Frontier City would be the perfect spot, near where I-35 and I-44 split. That would also make it easily accessible from Tulsa as well increasing its chances of success.

Just got back from IKEA today in Tempe, AZ; I have only ever been in this one and the one in Frisco.

I must say, just several years ago I would have gone into the one in Frisco and never gotten the impression that what I saw could be supported by Oklahomans, but after being in the pleasantly uncrowded Tempe store today and thinking of the experience translating to Oklahoma City, I really think the metro is ready and could support the style/services that IKEA provides. Here's to hoping you guys get one within the decade...

4. Default re: IKEA coming to OKC?

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    That was its CSA (Combined Statistical Area) figure which includes some extra counties. If you use that figure today, Charlotte has 2.1 million. It's MSA was 1.3 million in 2000 and is 1.7 million in 2010.
    Right you are. It turns out not every source found on the internet is accurate. ;-)

5. Default re: IKEA coming to OKC?

These so-called rules for construction of Ikea stores are obviously not much more than urban myths. They have at least three in metro areas smaller than 2 million population. And look at their store locations. They have quite a number located less than 250 miles from another store. (Austin is far too close to Houston to have a store according to this "rule." The Frisco store is about the same distance from the Houston store as the KC store will be to St. Louis, so St. Louis should not let the KC store bother it. FWIW, the Frisco store is farther from OKC than the Austin store is from the Houston store.)

Ikea recently said they are accelerating their growth plans for the next 10 years in the US. I'm sure OKC is not at the top of that list, but would not be surprised if Ikea gets to OKC in the next 10 years.

6. Default re: IKEA coming to OKC?

Quote Originally Posted by stlokc View Post
    And yes, I am aware that Austin is less than 250 miles from Dallas. I have no explanation for that, unless they just saw a unique opportunity with the demographics of that area.
    Your 250 mile trade area theory would actually require the stores to be 500 miles apart, not just 250 miles. I think you'll see an Ikea in the STL area before the decade is out, probably within 3-4 years, if not sooner.

I don't get why this thread is still active. I've been in some IKEAs (although not in the U.S.) and it's an interesting shopping experience, but y'all remember Service Merchandise, right? I've had their furniture and, while relatively well constructed, it's uncomfortable IMO. I can't imagine that having and IKEA here will make any of our lives more complete.

Heard a joke that IKEA was coming out with their own beer, but there's a warning / restriction on the can that says you have to assemble your furniture before you can crack one open.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubya61 View Post
    I don't get why this thread is still active. I've been in some IKEAs (although not in the U.S.) and it's an interesting shopping experience, but y'all remember Service Merchandise, right? I've had their furniture and, while relatively well constructed, it's uncomfortable IMO. I can't imagine that having and IKEA here will make any of our lives more complete.

Heard a joke that IKEA was coming out with their own beer, but there's a warning / restriction on the can that says you have to assemble your furniture before you can crack one open.
    Thread is still active because people have hope that Ikea is coming, if there is no hope then this thread would have been dead

9. Default re: IKEA coming to OKC?

I actually worked for the Service Merchandise part-time in Norman in 1990 when I went to OU. Comparing them to IKEA is a joke right? Exactly which big box store wold make any of our lives complete? I personally hope they eventually build one near OKC (Moore/Norman area would be my preference).

10. Default re: IKEA coming to OKC?

Agreed. In no way is Service Merchandise the same animal.

Anyone else hear that now there's a place for the guys to be "dropped off" at as well. That's freaking hilarious! If you didn't know already, you can drop your kid off in a play area for a while you shop (as long as it's less than 2 hours). And now there's a place for the boyfriends/husbands/etc. of the world to be left while the lady-folks shop. LMFAO

11. Default re: IKEA coming to OKC?

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    Agreed. In no way is Service Merchandise the same animal.

Anyone else hear that now there's a place for the guys to be "dropped off" at as well. That's freaking hilarious! If you didn't know already, you can drop your kid off in a play area for a while you shop (as long as it's less than 2 hours). And now there's a place for the boyfriends/husbands/etc. of the world to be left while the lady-folks shop. LMFAO
    Won't happen with me. The wife is ready to leave way before I am when we go to the Austin IKEA. Same goes for electronics stores, hardware stores and office supply stores.

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    I actually worked for the Service Merchandise part-time in Norman in 1990 when I went to OU. Comparing them to IKEA is a joke right? Exactly which big box store wold make any of our lives complete? I personally hope they eventually build one near OKC (Moore/Norman area would be my preference).
    Not really a joke. I don't see how the shopping experience is much different. See what you want. Write down the code. Get the product when you check out. Sure, IKEA sells furniture and SM sold electronics, but otherwise -- same concept IMO.

13. Default re: IKEA coming to OKC?

Not really a joke. I don't see how the shopping experience is much different. See what you want. Write down the code. Get the product when you check out. Sure, IKEA sells furniture and SM sold electronics, but otherwise -- same concept IMO.
    Not even close to comparable - not even close. You've reduced to comparison to the point its pointless. Like comparing a $10,000 to a $100,000 - "They've both got wheels and both get you from A to B, so they are comparable."

Not even close to comparable - not even close. You've reduced to comparison to the point its pointless. Like comparing a $10,000 to a $100,000 - "They've both got wheels and both get you from A to B, so they are comparable."
    I get it. I kind of agree. Tell me then, what do you want from IKEA that isn't being satisfied in the OKC market?

As far as my posts are considered, I was simply repeating what they said on the St. Louis local news. They had some sort of statement from IKEA that was vague, and then an interview with some kind of retail location expert. It's been too many weeks now for me to remember all the specifics. I was just passing along what I had heard.

16. Default re: IKEA coming to OKC?

I get it. I kind of agree. Tell me then, what do you want from IKEA that isn't being satisfied in the OKC market?
    They offer one stop shopping for many products I don't feel I can easily get in OKC - that is one reason we shop IKEA often when we go to Austin. Many of their products are unique enough they are readily recognizable. When you walk into a kitchen done in IKEA, you know you're looking at an IKEA kitchen (which can be good or bad).

Sam's Club sells jeans and dress shirts - so why do I need some fancy smancy jean or men's store at the mall? If you don't know the answer to that, then we are too far apart to continue this conversation.

My favorite part of Ikea are the vignettes that show how smartly designed small spaces can be great places to live. The Frisco store has a complete one bedroom apartment in about 400 sq ft and it is actually very nice.

When you walk into a kitchen done in IKEA, you know you're looking at an IKEA kitchen (which can be good or bad).
    They have great cabinets for the money, my boss (and his significant other, our former marketing director) bought a house near Lake Austin (off 2222 just east of 360) and completely renovated the house, a big change from the original 70-80's era house that it was. They had Ikea cabinets in the kitchen with custom granite countertops, you would never know they were Ikea cabinets by that installation. If we build or renovate we will probably go that route, they have some very nice cabinets for a good price along with some very inexpensive cabinets.

Right now in our rental house we are using some bookcases with doors as pantry/storage since this mid-70's era house is lacking in cabinet space. When we buy or build they will probably end up in the basement, if we have enough ceiling height, the basement we have now would have a hard time fitting them (7'-0" tall).

Althought IKEA is on my list of dream stores to come to the OKC market, along with a host of others, H&M, Trader Joe's, urban outfitters, etc..., I am not too hopeful. There is no secret formula to where they open up a new location. The US is still a relatively new market for them, so it is in part, an experiment. When I lived in Germany, there were two IKEAs in my town, and three more within an hours drive. I anticipate that someday the US will have IKEAs everywhere, not at the level of Europe, but at least one in every state.

20. Default re: IKEA coming to OKC?

The uniqueness of the items is what really gets them. You won't find most of the products anywhere else. You might find something sort of similar, but not the same. No where do you find the entire room set up for you to see either. At wally world, you see a part of a desk or something, but at Ikea, you see the whole room, and then easily see what it costs.

The range of products is pretty damned incredible at Ikea as well. There are the obvious furniture items...book cases, tv stands, shoe stuff, closet organization, toddler beds, desks, etc. But the extras go far beyond that. Counter Tops and cabinets, appliances (i think everything but a dishwasher...dont think ive ever see a dishwasher there), children's toys that you won't find elsewhere, accentware like lamps, plants, towels, bedding, kitchenware like plates, glasses, silverware, small appliances, bowls, etc., not to mention the food items

It's really like a furniture store and bed-bath-and-beyond got slammed together with a corner grocery.

Sam's Club sells jeans and dress shirts - so why do I need some fancy smancy jean or men's store at the mall? If you don't know the answer to that, then we are too far apart to continue this conversation.
    Wow. I had no idea there were other options than Sams for clothing [/sarcasm]. There's a whole spectrum of shopping options out there, ya know. It's not like Judge Dredd's cola wars are going on and it's Sams or IKEA or nothing. I've just never felt that the comfort of IKEA products was up to the level of comparably priced furniture in other stores. There IS a certain IKEA look, alright. Everytime I see Tinker Toy-style furniture or wooden futons, I conjure up IKEA. Y'all are right: Cool displays. Y'all are right: The higher end stuff they sell is remarkable. When I can make or have someone make stuff that looks just as good at a better price, IKEA fails in my book. Cool stores. Fun displays. Interesting shopping concept (Service Merchandise had it here first). Not on my wishlist for shopping options in OKC and I see no reason to drive that far to look at uncomfortable furniture when there are interior design magazines available. Yeah, I guess we're that far apart.

22. Default re: IKEA coming to OKC?

Wow. I had no idea there were other options than Sams for clothing [/sarcasm]. There's a whole spectrum of shopping options out there, ya know. It's not like Judge Dredd's cola wars are going on and it's Sams or IKEA or nothing. I've just never felt that the comfort of IKEA products was up to the level of comparably priced furniture in other stores. There IS a certain IKEA look, alright. Everytime I see Tinker Toy-style furniture or wooden futons, I conjure up IKEA. Y'all are right: Cool displays. Y'all are right: The higher end stuff they sell is remarkable. When I can make or have someone make stuff that looks just as good at a better price, IKEA fails in my book. Cool stores. Fun displays. Interesting shopping concept (Service Merchandise had it here first). Not on my wishlist for shopping options in OKC and I see no reason to drive that far to look at uncomfortable furniture when there are interior design magazines available. Yeah, I guess we're that far apart.
    No idea why you are so stuck on the 'comfyness' from IKEA. Their couches and loveseats (just about the only thing you could be referring to) make up a tiny percentage of their products and have never been the first thing that comes to mind when I think about IKEA.

I also highly doubt you could have many of their most popular items made (or make yourself) that would look as good at their price or lower. That's cool you don't care for them - my grandmother likes places that sell old saw blades painted with farm scenes on them - doesn't mean I think she has much home decor sense. But, that's just me.

Also, your insistence on comparing them to Service Merchandise simply because SOME of their items have to be pulled from the back is pretty week. I guess Mathis Brothers is identical to IKEA too - every time I've bought something from them it had to be picked up at their loading dock.

Since this topic continues to go on, I will have to say that the closet systems from ikea are awesome. Can adapt them for all kinds of purposes from shoe shelving to sliding pant racks

24. Default re: IKEA coming to OKC?

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Since this topic continues to go on, I will have to say that the closet systems from ikea are awesome. Can adapt them for all kinds of purposes from shoe shelving to sliding pant racks
    If we were going to stay in our house we would so rip out two of the closets (down to the studs) and put in two IKEA closets and then reframe them in. They are really great and so much cheaper than those custom closet places.

Don't know if others noticed this, but they broke ground on an IKEA store in SW Kansas City. (340 miles from OKC)

Ikea’s groundbreaking in Merriam likely to spur development nearby - KansasCity.com

Oklahoma City is referenced in this article as a city in a 6 state region that they are going to try and pull from.
    Looks like OKC's chances for an IKEA got a lot smaller..

Thread Information