Widgets Magazine
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Bars/restaurants that are sorely missed

Default Re: Bars/restaurants that are sorely missed

Yep, I miss Glen's too. I thought their food in general was very good.

Does anyone remember the "Magnolia Thunder Kitty" - A quaint little bar on N.W. 10th!! I don't know for sure, but I think Gen/70 was a regular!! LMAO........................

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Generals64 View Post
    Been mentioned before but, I would Love to go through the Buffet
    line at Glen's one more time... and be able to really afford it...
    What are they going to do with the "Glen's Parking" sign on 10th?
    It was still there a couple of weeks ago.

Does anyone remember the name of a little restaurant that was around 59th and S. Walker (I think) on the North side of the street during the 1970's?

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Downtown Guy View Post
    Hollies . . . home of the bacon burger . . . was a major highschool hangout . . . 1960 grad from Capitol Hill. A neighborhood friend was the nephew of the owners and we could just walk in the back door and scoop up an order of their on-site hand cut fries. McDonalds and Golden Point fifteen cent burgers had just come on the scene in those days so, nearly all of the drive inns were locally owned . . . Hamburger Spot, Hamburger Inn, Ranchers Daughter, West Oaks and one on May Avenue (name escapes me) that had candy striped decoration . . . lots of Northwest Classen traffic.

Herman's, a seafood place at 16th and Classen which became Triples . . . not bad either.

Hann's Bar-B-Que on East 23rd

The Cadet Club . . . a downtown deli

Micky's Coney Island in Stockyards and two or three other greasy spoons down there.

Cattleman's when it was owned by the Wade Family and frequented mostly by cattlemen and the Stockyard's Mafia. The cafe part was open 24/7

Knox Orange Inn . . . great hotdogs downtown next door to the Criterion Theater

Bishop's . . . an upscale white linen place downtown

The Rustic Inn . . . NW 39th and Portland . . . great late night spot.

Fine Foods . . . a mexican place about five blocks east of Shields on SE 29th.

The Classen Grill . . . late 80's early 90's era

The Wide Awake Cafe in Edmond

Dinko's in Norman . . . Oh Darlin'

Beverly's Chicken In The Rough at NW 23rd & Classen . . . when Beverly Osborn owned it.

The place below the Hi Lo Club that Vern Echols owned . . . can't remember the name for the life of me right now. Great sandwiches named after some regular patrons . . . charcoal burgers and rings . . . The Schnitzle . . . burger patty, beans and chili with a fried egg. It was also open real late.

My absolutely most missed restaurant is the Bit of Italy. It was an out of the way after hours place just off NW 39th Street about half way between Penn and May. It didn't open until 10PM and was the place to have a late night omlet or pizza. . . frequented by musicians, pimps and other colorful characters. Always a long line to get in. A guy named Eddie Peak ran the door . . . Putnam City grad that played sax in Vegas for a while.

But a new era has arrived . . . Irma's, Prairie Thunder, McNellies, 1492, Cafe Do Brazil, The Proabition Room, Rococo, Museum Cafe, The Metro, Coach House. Hopefully these and more new locally owned eateries will stem the tide of god-awful chains that populate most of the well traveled streets.
    What a great post!..thank you so much for the memories what a delight to read and remember all these places....

anyone remember the name of the coffee house downtown that served Near Beer where "Beatniks" hung out & read poetry...you had to go down some stairs off the street to enter.....it's drivin' me crazy not able to remember..!

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by chatterdude View Post
    anyone remember the name of the coffee house downtown that
    served Near Beer where "Beatniks" hung out & read poetry...you had
    to go down some stairs off the street to enter... it's drivin' me crazy
    not able to remember!
    Would it have been the Black Brick on N. McKinley near N.W. 26th?
    It isn't downtown but that's the only place that comes to mind.

Don't know if anybody answered the question about Vern Echols place, but it was "The Patio". I make a Schnitzle at least every couple of months. It also had onions with French fries on the side and I paid extra for a slice of cheese on top of the chili. His employees stayed with him for years, I think his cook had been there for almost thirty years and his newest employee had been there about fifteen years. Also, the comment you posted with yours mentions Beverly's on 23rd, how about the original on I believe Sheridan, but maybe California near Broadway
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by chatterdude View Post
    What a great post!..thank you so much for the memories what a delight to read and remember all these places....

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    Don't know if anybody answered the question about Vern Echols place,
    but it was "The Patio". I make a Schnitzle at least every couple of
    months. It also had onions with French fries on the side and I paid
    extra for a slice of cheese on top of the chili. His employees stayed
    with him for years, I think his cook had been there for almost thirty
    years and his newest employee had been there about fifteen years.
    Also, the comment you posted with yours mentions Beverly's on 23rd,
    how about the original on I believe Sheridan, but maybe California near
    Broadway
    C. T.
    There was a sign behind the cash register that listed the employees
    and how long they had worked at the Patio. Virginia had been there
    for over 30 years. I don't remember the others at the moment but
    the shortest time was 5 years and that was in 1981.

Great onion rings and I swear that Virginia invented/created the
    Caesar Burger. Awesome.

Beverly's was east of N. Walker on W. Sheridan, then Grand Avenue.

How many Beverly's were there? I remember the one on 23rd just west of Classen, another one near 16th and N May, then one on NW Hwy. Seems like there was one on the southside somewhere but can't remember for sure.

Haven't read it all yet, but Doug has info: http://dougdawg.blogspot.com/2006/07...-in-rough.html

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BlackmoreRulz View Post
    How many Beverly's were there? I remember the one on 23rd just
    west of Classen, another one near 16th and N May, then one on NW
    Hwy. Seems like there was one on the southside somewhere but
    can't remember for sure.
    There was one about N.W. 12th and N. Walker. 1492 is there. Then
    the huge one on N. Lincoln just north of the Capitol. There wasn't
    one on the southside.

I just noticed that there was a Randy's Chicken in the Rough on Bryant in Edmond. I also am wrong on the original, it was N. Lincoln according to the Oklahoman archives. I remember my parents taking me to the one on Sheridan/Grand. I'm also wondering if the one on May was Randy's after he bought the last two from Mr. Osborn. I will check the Oklahoman a little closer when I get time.
    C. T.

Prunepicker Guest

I remember my Dad telling us this story when we were kids.

Chicken in the Rough

Prunepicker Guest

Here's a link from Doug Dawgz Blog.

Beverly's

I sent an email to Jimmy's Egg about their North May (1616 North May) location and they just responded and here is there comment. "Yes, it was a Beverly's before it became a Jimmy's Egg.". I like folks that are helpful and they responded in about three hours.
    C. T.

17. Default Re: Bars/restaurants that are sorely missed

Let's go way back, Cedar Terrace. Bar and dance hall. We went there almost before all of us were old enough to drive. Beer was cold and the band was hot.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCMallen View Post
    No doubt...right after they had remodeled to add bathrooms, it went under. Suck.

I would like to add the Samurai Samurai SAMURAI!
    Before the Samurai opened it was a karate dojo and weight gym, owned by the same person (Ichiro Takahata). I studied karate there for a while. Went to the Samurai a few times, it was usually kicking. I ran into Ichiro a few years back, he was laying carpet on a remodel job(the tower behind the gold dome on Classen). At the time he said he was going to open a new Samurai, but if he did I never found it.

I haven't read this entire thread so I may be repeating, but what about Larrys' at 39th and Ann Arbor(Taco Bell now) or (not in OKC) Zamudios in Mid West city? Zamudios had great food while Mr and Mrs Zamudio were there, not so much after they were gone.

20. Default Re: Bars/restaurants that are sorely missed

Quote Originally Posted by soonergeezer View Post
    Before the Samurai opened it was a karate dojo and weight gym, owned by the same person (Ichiro Takahata). I studied karate there for a while. Went to the Samurai a few times, it was usually kicking. I ran into Ichiro a few years back, he was laying carpet on a remodel job(the tower behind the gold dome on Classen). At the time he said he was going to open a new Samurai, but if he did I never found it.
    That's funny, I ran into him in exactly the same location. I had to do a double take. I know there was a place calling itself Samurai on NW 23rd near Penn, and always wondered if there was a connection. Not sure if it is still there.

Gotta say, Samurai was one of a kind. Saw some great shows there. And despite never having a security guard, I never saw trouble get out of hand. If you ever saw Ichiro usher a troublemaker out the door, you know exactly what I am talking about. It bordered on supernatural. Minor-looking finger pokes in the chest that would make someone bounce backward three feet with each poke.

Soonergeezer,
    Zamudio's was a really good Mexican restaurant. We ate there for lunch quite often and my family enjoyed them at dinner time.
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by soonergeezer View Post
    I haven't read this entire thread so I may be repeating, but what about Larrys' at 39th and Ann Arbor(Taco Bell now) or (not in OKC) Zamudios in Mid West city? Zamudios had great food while Mr and Mrs Zamudio were there, not so much after they were gone.

Quote Originally Posted by papaOU View Post
    Large dance halls of the 70's and early 80's were The Sooner Broadcast System, After the Gold Rush. Country joints were for drinking. Never heard a country song that I could dance too. Line Dancing? If I am going to dance in unison with people I want a contract and pay!!!!
    I remember the name After the Gold Rush, but not the location. Please describe its location.

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    I believe that was the Brass Keg. It was next door to Robert's Restaurant.
    Ah, the Keg , another place with many good memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Generals64 View Post
    ================================================== ===============
    I still miss El Charrito's.........

and, of course, Hollie's.....(the original one)
    Bacon cheeseburger, I can smell and taste it now(Hollies).

Quote Originally Posted by Crash24OU View Post
    Didn't review this whole thread, but I miss "Ann's Chicken Fry" on N.W. 39th, "EL Patio" on about 10th and S. Walker, "Lion's Share" in Midwest City, "Uncle John's Pancakes" on Lincoln Blvd., any of the "Monterrey Houses" and since we're talking about some "bars"...my all-time #1 hangout...."The Gold Rush" on 74th and Penn. Man! What memories of THAT place...!!! LOL
    Ann's is still there ate there just last week, still pretty good.

Thread Information