Widgets Magazine
Page 14 of 69 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181964 ... LastLast

Thread: Penn Square Mall

Default Re: Penn Square Mall

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyOne View Post
    Does anyone know how the movie theatre revamp is progressing? Or if the food court revamp has begun in earnest?
    I haven't noticed anything being done to AMC unless their doing work inside the auditoriums and I can't see it from the outside.

They have started demolishing walls, ceilings, and tile floors in the food court. The old entrance structures are also being demolished now.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    I haven't noticed anything being done to AMC unless their doing work inside the auditoriums and I can't see it from the outside.

They have started demolishing walls, ceilings, and tile floors in the food court. The old entrance structures are also being demolished now.
    Thanks for the update, jn.

Are there any new stores planned for the mall along with this upgrade?

If there is as big of a waiting list for stores to get into Penn Square as I've heard there is, I wonder why the mall doesn't evict some of the remaining low-end tenants like Payless to bring in a higher quality tenant?

Payless locations are a dime-a-dozen in OKC. It's really a waste of prime space at Penn Square.

I don't think they can legally evict someone if they are keeping their half of the contract. They could buy them out of their contract though.

Is the Microsoft Store a set-n-stone deal or was that just speculation?

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Is the Microsoft Store a set-n-stone deal or was that just speculation?
    I think it was announced by Microsoft it would be done before they did the temporary christmas one that both would happen, I don't remember a time frame on when

They did file for a building permit a few months ago.

Looks like AMC put up a new sign on Expressway recently.

HangryHippo Guest

Yep, it's a fair bit shorter than the old sign for Dickinson and it's just gold I think with AMC across it.

Also, renovations on the food court continue at a quick pace.

I saw that too. I am curious if AMC will add a movie listing on top of the sign once their renovations are complete.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    I saw that too. I am curious if AMC will add a movie listing on top of the sign once their renovations are complete.
    I was wondering that myself. The sign doesn't really look like that's an option, but stranger things have happened. Have you been in the theatre itself lately? How are the renovation inside progressing?

Lane Bryant is closing their Penn Square location. Plan is to be closed by end of this month. Rumor is Gap will be consolidating their stores into one big super Gap. Also rumored that Eskimo Joes is leaving. Penn is raising rent rates that is pushing out some stores. More are leaving. Just cannot remember the names right now.

HangryHippo Guest

We've known for awhile that Eskimo Joe's is leaving, but this is the first I've heard about Lane Bryant closing. Regarding Gap, I don't think it's a rumor, it's happening. I was in the mall this weekend and the Gap spaces were already under construction. Please share the other departures you've heard if you remember them.

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    Looks like AMC put up a new sign on Expressway recently.
    Yep, it's a fair bit shorter than the old sign for Dickinson and it's just gold I think with AMC across it.

Also, renovations on the food court continue at a quick pace.
    Unless I'm mistaken, it sure looks like they just slapped a bronze coat of paint on the old Dickenson sign, and put an AMC vinyl logo in it. It's extremely cheap looking and brings down the look of PSM in general, I'm really shocked Simon Properties allowed that thing to go there/stay there.

I was wondering that myself. The sign doesn't really look like that's an option, but stranger things have happened. Have you been in the theatre itself lately? How are the renovation inside progressing?
    Haven't been in for a long time, so I am not sure. Anyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Unless I'm mistaken, it sure looks like they just slapped a bronze coat of paint on the old Dickenson sign, and put an AMC vinyl logo in it. It's extremely cheap looking and brings down the look of PSM in general, I'm really shocked Simon Properties allowed that thing to go there/stay there.
    I know I should wait till it is done to judge but from renderings and some of the early work most of this recent remodel seems like a step down from what it is replacing

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    I know I should wait till it is done to judge but from renderings and some of the early work most of this recent remodel seems like a step down from what it is replacing
    I disagree. I think it's going to be nice once it's finished.

In addition to Eskimo Joe's and Lane Bryant...toll house cookies is gone. Sonic is gone. Lucca is gone. The following will not be offered lease renewals...Payless, Body Central and GameStop. They have whatever is left on their current leases and then they are gone. Not sure how long those are. Also, I'm hearing that more stuff is leaving the food court...just not sure as of this point. Simon is intent on up scaling.

That surprised me about Lucca, as they are a pretty well respected local boutique. They would fit well in Classen Curve.

I think Penn can really go to the next level though. Have they already negotiated leases or have active prospects for the soon to be vacant locations?

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    You'll know why Simon Properties allowed it when you look at their own pylon sign at the corner of NWX & Penn. It looks terrible and doesn't even illuminate.

Quote Originally Posted by yukong View Post
    Lane Bryant is closing their Penn Square location. Plan is to be closed by end of this month. Rumor is Gap will be consolidating their stores into one big super Gap. Also rumored that Eskimo Joes is leaving. Penn is raising rent rates that is pushing out some stores. More are leaving. Just cannot remember the names right now.
    Did Auntie Annes move out or what? Also I'm very angry gamestop may be leaving Penn Square, I buy all my video games there and consoles

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    Did Auntie Annes move out or what? Also I'm very angry gamestop may be leaving Penn Square, I buy all my video games there and consoles
    There's like 30 other Gamestop's in the metro. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Mississippi Blues View Post
    There's like 30 other Gamestop's in the metro. Lol
    PS4 and 720 will be the beginning of the end for physical media. lol

Not surprised about the store closings. Isn't there still supposed to be a Microsoft store going in? That will take up a lot of space.

24. Default Re: Penn Square Mall

There's a GameStop less than a mile away in the Belle Isle shopping center.

It's real hard to get into the Gamestop at the Belle Isle Center especially during lunch hours or at 5. The PS4 DOES support used games and the next Xbox possibly might.

Why would Penn Square supposedly jack up rent? Wouldn't that drive out a lot of stores like the local ones in the mall?

I wouldn't be surprised if places liked A&F, Italia Express, That Gyro place, Gymboree ( due to Gap Expansion), The Cajun place next to Chic and Brookstone were gone from Penn

Thread Information