Widgets Magazine
Page 14 of 29 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Quail Springs Mall

1. Default Re: Quail Springs Mall

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    It's kind of wild, isn't it? Honestly, the only reason I know is because I used to work there! It was my first job in 2001. I miss the old uniforms there... they issued white aviator shirts with epaulettes and black slacks (the color of the epaulettes that determined the employee's position). It fit the whole "spaceship" theme of that theater extremely well. But yeah... December 18, 1998 was opening day for that theater.
    Haha it was my second job there in 2005 through 2007. I know when it opened because of a certain code to enter certain rooms was the opening date. I hope they have changed that by now!

Default Re: Quail Springs Mall

Haha, yep, that's how I remember it too! I was surprised how long they used that code for. I'm nearly positive they no longer use it... at least, I really hope they don't!

You know, honestly, working in the theater industry was the most fun I've ever had at a job. My second job was projectionist at Dickinson Penn Square and that was an absolute blast. I don't miss the pay, but I do miss the job.

I worked at AMC Quail Springs from August 2001 - May 2005 while I was in college, so I probably worked with both of you! I agree that while I do not miss the pay, I really do miss the job. I had a blast working there... free movies, free popcorn, free soda... it was great! I actually met my now wife working there!!

4. Default Re: Quail Springs Mall

Quote Originally Posted by Insider View Post
    I worked at AMC Quail Springs from August 2001 - May 2005 while I was in college, so I probably worked with both of you! I agree that while I do not miss the pay, I really do miss the job. I had a blast working there... free movies, free popcorn, free soda... it was great! I actually met my now wife working there!!
    I loved the job as well. Great high school job.

I went there not too long ago for the first time. They have really made some nice improvements. People get their own sodas so the workers don't get soda thrown in their faces when it has "too little ice" (yes this happened).

I enjoyed the 1 dollar hotdogs. I also have not eaten popcorn since I quit. It burned me out...

Looks like Costco is looking at the Macy's space at Quail Springs.

NewsOK did an article on this today. Would be a really strange location for a Costco and I doubt they'd be able to (or even want to) reuse the old building. And the article kind of contradicts itself. So is Costco coming to QSM? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

http://newsok.com/costco-wholesale-w...+-+business%29

Agree that it is somewhat a strange location. Is this the highest and best use for this piece of property? However, if Costco did use that location, they would spend lots of money to repurpose and rehab the building. If they did divide the space, perhaps Belk could take the other part of the building??

I really doubt Costco will pick this site. The visibility and access to the old Macy's spot is not that great. Having an entrance from inside of the mall doesn't seem that beneficial either. A good chuck of people are going to want easy access to their cars so they can get a shopping cart to them.

A mall-anchor Costco just seems very...weird.

I'm always surprised that there aren't any more stores situated in all the empty parcels around the mall, and I could see a Costco going into one of those spots though.

I look it up, there are a few cases of Costco's being attached to malls. Doesn't seem like a great plan for the Oklahoma City market though especially for an anchor spot at the back of the mall.

Just as an example, take a look at Cumberland Mall in Atlanta, GA. Costco bought the old JCPenny store and parking lot when it closed its mall location, tore down the old JCPenny building, and built a new Costco store in the parking lot. This location does very well.

This is just one example and probably not the best example of what could happen here because Quail's space has a 'basement'. It is just an example where Costco bought a mall anchor building and built a store.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Cu...4!4d-84.468596

Macy's will be used by some government organization and QSM will start it's slide into becoming a larger version of Shepherd Mall.

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    Macy's will be used by some government organization and QSM will start it's slide into becoming a larger version of Shepherd Mall.
    I think the owners will redevelop or sell off the mall to developers before it gets that bad. Too much money in the area to turn completely to crap.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    I think the owners will redevelop or sell off the mall to developers before it gets that bad. Too much money in the area to turn completely to crap.
    I agree. I was just joking.

Von Maur is not doing well. Another sign that sales at Quail aren't doing well.

http://m.newsok.com/von-maur-misses-...3?rotator=true

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Von Maur is not doing well. Another sign that sales at Quail aren't doing well.

http://m.newsok.com/von-maur-misses-...3?rotator=true
    Didn't make sales target for incentive but same article says that the owners are still pleased with sales and have considered opening another store in OKC in the future.

Like I said in another post, my girlfriend and I were in Von Maur on Saturday for her to buy me some nice Peter Millar shirts for my birthday. They fit great and she was able to take advantage of some good deals at Von Maur. We would definitely go back!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    Didn't make sales target for incentive but same article says that the owners are still pleased with sales and have considered opening another store in OKC in the future.
    That's great news then.

I can understand what they're saying but replacing anchors with the likes of TJ Maxx, Dick's, and LA Fitness doesn't seem like a winning plan.

I think traditional departments stores are generating less foot traffic and sales these days, plus they are all dying on the vine.

Almost all will need to be replaced in the next 5-10 years.

Macy's to be demolished

Permits have been filed to construct a huge new Life Time Fitness center on the site of the old Macy's department store on the north side Quail Springs Mall.

Macy's closed earlier this year as a part of a corporate-wide downsizing and the company sold the building and land to General Growth Properties, the owners of the mall.

As OKCTalk reported in May, Life Time had entered into contract to buy property at the southeast corner of Memorial and Western but recently backed out of that deal and put the old Macy's property under contract.

This would be the first and likely only Oklahoma City location for Life Time, a private company based in Minnesota with approximately 100 centers operating in the U.S. and Canada. Membership fees typically run about $60 per month for an individual.

The center would be one of the largest in the country, with 181,400 square feet of enclosed space including indoor tennis courts, 400 pieces of exercise equipment, basketball courts, exercise studios, daycare facilities and two health food areas.

There would also be four outdoor tennis courts, and a huge pool and spa area.

Plans show the building would be detached from the mall with parking positioned between Life Time and a new northwest mall entry.

Construction cost not including furniture, fixtures and equipment is estimated at a whopping $28.5 million.

With the contraction of traditional department stores, enclosed malls have sought new tenants and inventive ways to fill their space and attract patrons. The high concentration of apartments and high incomes in the immediate area fit Life Time's business model.

No closing date has been set for the property sale but building permits have already been submitted.

WOW. Definitely wasn't expecting that, but that is probably the best thing that QSM could have asked for to happen.

I bet this could lead to some neat boutique shops opening up in and around QSM.

Say whhhhaaaatttt???

Did not expect this!

Thread Information