Widgets Magazine
Page 14 of 41 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Trader Joe's

Default Re: Trader Joe's

^

Yes, great customer service -- almost over-the-top in some ways.

It really is so different it's hard to describe, but that's also what makes it so great. Completely different than any other stores.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

It really is so different it's hard to describe, but that's also what makes it so great. Completely different than any other stores.
    I agree. Many stores, even ones discussed here all the time that most would like to see in OKC, can be done without. This city doesn't have Costco, but I can grit my teeth and bite my tongue and go to Sam's Club. There isn't a Publix or Harris Teeter, but can get most of what I need at a Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market and what I can't find there I can get at Whole Foods. Trader Joe's however has no replacement.

If I lived in OKC, it would be the one store I would absolutely miss the most.

Was at Trader Joe's in Plano, Texas yesterday and visited with the manager about an OKC store. No surprise he didn't reveal anything but did say Trader Joe's has officially begun operating its Texas distribution warehouse which should bode well for new stores opening in surrounding states. He said many, many Oklahomans patronize his store. Otherwise typical TJ visit: great selection, freshness, customer service and a chance to grab a case of Charles Shaw "two buck chuck" which at $2.99 will most likely become "three-buck chuck" before long.

Trader Joe's has been rumored to be coming to OKC for so long that I'll believe it when I see it. Steve Lackmeyer did an article back in early 2011 that named them as one of the retailers looking to land here that year. The same thing was said in 2012 and 2013. It's now 2014.

yeah what the hell is going on with this? Are still coming or what? Been the same thing for a few years now... -___-

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Trader Joe's has been rumored to be coming to OKC for so long that I'll believe it when I see it. Steve Lackmeyer did an article back in early 2011 that named them as one of the retailers looking to land here that year. The same thing was said in 2012 and 2013. It's now 2014.
    Yup everytime I see this thread pop up again I hope in opening it that its Pete saying they are coming!..lol

Glimcher is working on big plans for the whole NH Plaza / Class Curve area.

I suspect when there is an announcement, it will be for a bunch of new retailers, not just TJ's.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
    Yup everytime I see this thread pop up again I hope in opening it that its Pete saying they are coming!..lol
    Duuuude I know man. That's what I thought for a second when I saw this thread alive again.... maybe Pete has some confirmation they are coming

10. Default Re: Trader Joe's

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Duuuude I know man. That's what I thought for a second when I saw this thread alive again.... maybe Pete has some confirmation they are coming
    The Trader Joe teasing is becoming too much!

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    The Trader Joe teasing is becoming too much!
    haha... I've never been to one, but I want to. Hopefully they will open up in OKC before long

12. Default Re: Trader Joe's

There was a Trader Joes across the street from my hotel in Chicago and made a priority to check it out. It was nice and all, but like whole foods, I just don't see myself going in there but maybe a few times a year for some specialty stuff. Like cookie butter. Err Mer Gerd.

What is cookie butter? It sounds good

14. Default Re: Trader Joe's

We went to TJ's for the first time this weekend. It will definitely be a regular grocery store for us. Quality food at very competitive prices.

This is best way I can describe to my Okie brethren: It's a slightly nicer version of Aldi (TJ's is owned by the Aldi group incidentally) with mainly organic products.

15. Default Re: Trader Joe's

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    What is cookie butter? It sounds good
    Basically Biscoff Biscoff Spread - Alternative to Nut Butters and Chocolate Spreads | Biscoff

I have some cookie butter. My wife likes to have a spoonful on occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by CuatrodeMayo View Post
    We went to TJ's for the first time this weekend. It will definitely be a regular grocery store for us. Quality food at very competitive prices.

This is best way I can describe to my Okie brethren: It's a slightly nicer version of Aldi (TJ's is owned by the Aldi group incidentally) with mainly organic products.
    Actually, I believe one brother owns Aldi stores, the other owns Trader Joe's stores (might be 2 branches of the same organization, not totally sure and haven't looked it up to find out definitively). And yeah, it turns into a habit - their baked goods/desserts, crackers/snacks, cheeses, nuts (sesame honey cashews - OMG), and frozen stuff is really good and they have a good selection. Pasta sauces and other things, they're not so good on, but we went every few weeks when we lived in IL and we stopped bothering with a list after the first few times, we'd just take the cart and fill it up, hardly ever disappointed... Never did make it to a TJ's when we lived in WA, they were too far away and we didn't have as much disposable income then...

80% of the TJ's items are private branded.

Huge majority are items you simply can't find anywhere else.

80% of the TJ's items are private branded.

Huge majority are items you simply can't find anywhere else.
    And just to add, for clarity, the private branded stuff at TJ's is pretty much the same stuff you find elsewhere, just with TJ's name on it. TJ's used to carry Stacy's Pita Chips, now they carry Trader Joe's Pita Chips, which are made by Stacy's and I believe even have the same bag design (or they used to), for example. There are a few articles on the net comparing TJ's-branded items with what the reporters believe is their major-label equivalent, pretty interesting, almost all hit the mark. So there should be no stigma associated with "private branded" at TJ's like there sometimes is. And yeah, there are huge amounts of things at TJ's that you just can't get elsewhere (and which are good, so you *will* keep going back to TJ's, and only TJ's, to get them, lol).

^

Right but a very large percentage of their private branded items are not things you are going to find anywhere else, under any name.

^

Right but a very large percentage of their private branded items are not things you are going to find anywhere else, under any name.
    Yep, which is why I want one here, now!

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    The same thing went on here in Denver, rumors for years about them opening up here and they finally did late last year....and three years is not that long in development time, especially when moving into a completely new region. There are development projects that I worked on in 2006 that are just now getting under way in Austin and some still in the works.

Yeah but that's Denver. Of course Denver should have a TJ's. OKC? Well, not in the same league as are bed. I really do hope they come soon. Who knows how long we will be waiting.

I love the general quirkiness of TJ's. I shop from time to time at the store on Preston and Park in Plano. Their wine is actually pretty darn good. Used to be "two buck chuck", however it now is $2.99 bottle which is still a great buy. Their private brands are great and I always have a great experience. I hope OKC is able to get a TJ's as it is a fun shopping experience and hope that OKC will "fully" embrace the concept!

<sigh> I feel like I'm 16 years old again, waiting for a call on a Friday night.

Pete, do you know if Trader Joe's is any closer to a deal? It has been probably a year and a half or so since it was revealed that they almost had a deal an NHP. If so, could an announcement be any time soon?

Thread Information