Widgets Magazine
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Sam's Club

Default Re: Sam's Club

Quote Originally Posted by DowntownMan View Post
    Just wait. Bet they have AI technology in the works that scans your cart through store as you add items.
    Amazon is already using that exact technology in some of its stores.

People would be surprised at how quickly retail loss prevention departments are beginning to utilize AI. Target has facial recognition, for instance.

At least at 39th & May, Sam's is now aggressively checking membership cards upon entry.

Not sure why they ever stopped but they did for quite a while.

Blog Entries

^Same at NW Experessway. Went today and several people were digging them out to get in.

I was in the Sam's Club in Edmond on I 35. I walked in and saw an employee standing by the door so I asked if he wanted to see my card. He just looked at me and said no. I think he was just taking a break there by the door. No interest in the last year or so as far as looking at cards.

At the Penn Sam's, the support hutch for the new AI scanning system has been installed. The actual cameras and tech are not there yet.

They set up for the AI door check out has started going up in Edmond Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1310.jpeg 
Views:	68 
Size:	4.08 MB 
ID:	18662

^

39th & May as well although it's not operational as of yet.

Walmart and Sam's really gets technology; the Scan & Go app is genius and even the self-check-out is a breeze. They also are way way better than Costco in terms of having their full inventory on their website and clearly identifying what is in the store vs. what is available online.

They also have a great next-day (and sometimes same day) delivery option.

I still prefer Costco's merchandise especially their Kirkland brand over Member's Mark but not enough to drive out to Penn & Memorial on a regular basis.

Blog Entries

^NW Expressway also has the equipment set up for the AI door check now.

Sam’s and Walmart waste no time when it comes to new technology. Excited to see how this works. It’s set up to be able to accommodate two people going thru at once. Wonder if they will have an employee stationed there monitoring like a self checkout for alerts

Sam’s and Walmart waste no time when it comes to new technology. Excited to see how this works. It’s set up to be able to accommodate two people going thru at once. Wonder if they will have an employee stationed there monitoring like a self checkout for alerts
    Yes, the press release says there will be an employee at the exit who will be alerted if there is a discrepancy in the cart, and then they will quickly try to help resolve any issue.

And with two lanes, you can quickly navigate around anyone that gets stopped.

The entire service model is evolving to bypass the one customer (there is always one) who holds up a line. It's why many drive-thrus are going to two or more lanes. I notice QT employees often grab your card and quickly process a transaction to keep lines moving as fast as possible.

12. Default Re: Sam's Club

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Yes, the press release says there will be an employee at the exit who will be alerted if there is a discrepancy in the cart, and then they will quickly try to help resolve any issue.

And with two lanes, you can quickly navigate around anyone that gets stopped.

The entire service model is evolving to bypass the one customer (there is always one) who holds up a line. It's why many drive-thrus are going to two or more lanes. I notice QT employees often grab your card and quickly process a transaction to keep lines moving as fast as possible.
    I'm always genuinely amazed when I am behind someone at Sams who is fishing for their receipt.

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    I'm always genuinely amazed when I am behind someone at Sams who is fishing for their receipt.
    At the regular grocery store, I'm always behind the lady who stands at the register and waits for the total before digging for her checkbook (!) then takes forever to write it, put it back, find her keys and only then gets the H out of the way. Or at CVS when someone is digging out coupons then arguing with the cashier about not having them applied correctly... Many is the time I will pay and pass someone still standing there jacking around.

It's exactly why I won't even bother with a store without self-checkout.

Or the person who is sitting in the drive-thru line and finally gets up to the speaker only to take forever to order. I get up there: #5 with a Diet Coke -- done in 4 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    At the regular grocery store, I'm always behind the lady who stands at the register and waits for the total before digging for her checkbook (!) then takes forever to write it, put it back, find her keys and only then gets the H out of the way. Or at CVS when someone is digging out coupons then arguing with the cashier about not having them applied correctly... Many is the time I will pay and pass someone still standing there jacking around.

It's exactly why I won't even bother with a store without self-checkout.

Or the person who is sitting in the drive-thru line and finally gets up to the speaker only to take forever to order. I get up there: #5 with a Diet Coke -- done in 4 seconds.
    Self checkouts and the restaurants with mobile ordering. At least that way your order gets put into system how you want it.

Even though I have my issues with the Waltons, I have to say Sam's has really impressed me these past few years. Like Pete, even though Costco's merch is better, I enjoy actually going inside a Sam's Club so much more.
    I know a lot of companies (including Walmart) are starting to get rid of self-checkout, but I PRAY Sam's doesn't.
    And honestly as member's only warehouse club, I don't see any need for the removal, especially with the new gate(ways?) placed..
    And Sam's is never super busy whenever I go, and before the new gates were installed, the receipt checker never took more than 5 seconds to use the scanner and let me go on my way.
    I wish at the very least Costco would start using a scanner instead of having me stand in front of a somewhat disgruntled employee nitpick at my receipt and use a highlighter

16. Default Re: Sam's Club

Self checkouts and the restaurants with mobile ordering. At least that way your order gets put into system how you want it.
    I'm with the Boomers on hating the QR codes for menus. Takes it too far.

You must behind me. I seem to forget my mine at the registrar or put it in my pocket and try to find it and yes I am a bit slow since I am older.

Agreed. Plus it makes me less likely to order more stuff at one sitting since I don't typically have my phone out when I'm out to eat.

Quote Originally Posted by barrettd View Post
    Agreed. Plus it makes me less likely to order more stuff at one sitting since I don't typically have my phone out when I'm out to eat.
    And the implementation can leave a lot to be desired. Tamashii's QR menus kinda suck - different QR codes for the food and drink menus, they come up small, have to be zoomed in and moved around, just not very much ease-of-use at all, give me a physical menu.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    And the implementation can leave a lot to be desired. Tamashii's QR menus kinda suck - different QR codes for the food and drink menus, they come up small, have to be zoomed in and moved around, just not very much ease-of-use at all, give me a physical menu.
    i mean it's like with any technology, if done correctly it can be great, if done not great, it's awful.

a few months ago i was down at a typical Texas BBQ shack, one where everything is available until it's gone. and they had set up a system so that when you scan the QR code, it showed exactly what was left. so they had it going to a dynamic page that updated every time they rang someone up for their order. so you could actually see what was available still at any moment. it was awesome.

This just means you are likely a Gen-Xer that has Boomer tendencies. If QR codes are too difficult or make you mad now, things are going to get a lot worse for you in the next ten years.

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    i mean it's like with any technology, if done correctly it can be great, if done not great, it's awful.

a few months ago i was down at a typical Texas BBQ shack, one where everything is available until it's gone. and they had set up a system so that when you scan the QR code, it showed exactly what was left. so they had it going to a dynamic page that updated every time they rang someone up for their order. so you could actually see what was available still at any moment. it was awesome.
    Its largely a leftover from covid times, most full service restaurants have went back to physical menus. Unless they can somehow add to the restaurant experience like your Texas BBQ example. From a restaurant point of view, you can't control how large of a phone display your customer has, so technically speaking its hard to determine how well your designing your menus. Online ordering is different, because you get all kinds of metrics there.

23. Default Re: Sam's Club

dupilcate

24. Default Re: Sam's Club

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post

See that is a great use of a QR code menu. I am just not one for a QR code menu at a sit down place that just shows the website's menu. Print and laminate one, please!

Quote Originally Posted by citywokchinesefood View Post
    This just means you are likely a Gen-Xer that has Boomer tendencies. If QR codes are too difficult or make you mad now, things are going to get a lot worse for you in the next ten years.
    Nah I'm a millennial firmly. And they aren't difficult I think it is just a dumb idea.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Its largely a leftover from covid times, most full service restaurants have went back to physical menus. Unless they can somehow add to the restaurant experience like your Texas BBQ example. From a restaurant point of view, you can't control how large of a phone display your customer has, so technically speaking its hard to determine how well your designing your menus. Online ordering is different, because you get all kinds of metrics there.
    I do like places with the QR code to pay on the check. One snap, Apple or Google Pay and on my way. Love it.

I’m curious to see how this Sam’s exit checker works. Will you have to scan something or how will it know who you are and what to verify against. Excited to see it in person in near future. I make weekly trips to Sam’s.

Thread Information