Widgets Magazine
Page 14 of 37 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Default Re: Restaurants in your regular rotation

I need your assistance finding BBQ I can love close to me!

2. Default Re: Restaurants in your regular rotation

Quote Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
    I need your assistance finding BBQ I can love close to me!
    Unfortunately at this point in time I would have to say "Move to Austin.".... The Oklahoma City Q scene is all about quantity over quality Q for the masses.

Although I think if Kosmos BBQ is ever able to find a brick and mortar location for his operation. It has the potential to be very good.

The second best closest option is Burn Co BBQ in Tulsa.

I have been kicking around an idea for trying a small batch, hand crafted, Q concept in OKC but my current work load keeps me from being able to do the footwork and fact checking to see what I would have to do to get it started and I'm to far into the game of life to quit my current job and take a full time risk on a BBQ concept.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    Unfortunately at this point in time I would have to say "Move to Austin.".... The Oklahoma City Q scene is all about quantity over quality Q for the masses.

Although I think if Kosmos BBQ is ever able to find a brick and mortar location for his operation. It has the potential to be very good.

I have been kicking around an idea for trying a small batch, hand crafted, Q concept in OKC but my current work load keeps me from being able to do the footwork and fact checking to see what I would have to do to get it started and I'm to far into the game of life to quit my current job and take a full time risk on a BBQ concept.
    Well that confirms that I am not just crazy. but indeed there aren't any good BBQ places close to me
    I crave it and settle for what I can get. Sometimes Earls which has kinda grown on me as I use to not care for them at all. perhaps its because I am without choices. tried that one close to the memorial north of there.. not so good. Pappi's is close.. its no good. Oklahoma station is ok, Swadleys. eh.. Backdoor BBQ I think its ok but pricey for small portions

4. Default Re: Restaurants in your regular rotation

Well that confirms that I am not just crazy. but indeed there aren't any good BBQ places close to me
    I crave it and settle for what I can get. Sometimes Earls which has kinda grown on me as I use to not care for them at all. perhaps its because I am without choices. tried that one close to the memorial north of there.. not so good. Pappi's is close.. its no good. Oklahoma station is ok, Swadleys. eh.. Backdoor BBQ I think its ok but pricey for small portions
    You pretty much nailed it.... And don't get me wrong. I don't think OKC BBQ is terrible but as you said several times... It's just ok.

You might give Big Boys BBQ Express a try. I have been pleased with everything I have tried there.

Have to venture over there and give them a try.. sorry to derail the favorites post pete!.. I am just a fat guy craving BBQ it's not my fault!

6. Default Re: Restaurants in your regular rotation

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Cotter View Post
    Iron Star (I get the chicken, which is barely BBQ, but very good)
    HAHA! I won't derail the thread on that one but you've apparently been involved in one of those debates. ;+)

HAHA! I won't derail the thread on that one but you've apparently been involved in one of those debates. ;+)
    My family has owned a BBQ restaurant in small town Texas for almost 40 years. I've stopped trying to find acceptable brisket up here. I'll get pulled pork from Bubba's, and I like the smoked chicken at Iron Star.

This place absolutely ROCKS the BBQ. No flattop, microwaves, or fryers in the place. Everything is done on the 8 hastybake smoker grills in the kitchen. Everything we had was excellent but the grilled potato salad was out of this world. They make their own sausages.

One of the owners used to work for HastyBake doing their demos and cooking classes. A lot of people don't realize this but in my opinion, two of the best smokers are made in OK. HastyBake in Tulsa and CookShack in Ponca City. If you are in Tulsa...definitely look this place up.

Yeah, also I've talked to OKBBQE Anon about this before, you're one of us. :-P We do Iron Starr for fancy BBQ (their quail breast appetizers are really good) and Mr. Spriggs (whatever their state is right now, I don't know) for regular BBQ.

Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

We tried Bad Brads in Yukon a couple of weeks ago for the first time. After waiting 10 minutes to get our order taken then 25 minutes to get our food, (and it was not busy) the food we were served was not fresh. My impression was it was being run by young kids that did not care much. Constantly having to shoo flies away while eating too. We won't be going back.

11. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

OKBBQ:

Do you know anything about the BBQ scene in the Pacific Northwest? As you could probably imagine, decent Q is hard to find here.

12. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Quote Originally Posted by CuatrodeMayo View Post
    OKBBQ:

Do you know anything about the BBQ scene in the Pacific Northwest? As you could probably imagine, decent Q is hard to find here.
    Oddly enough I recently had someone ask me if I knew of any good Q in the Seattle area.... Unfortunately, despite being a Seahawk fan most of my life, I have never made it to visit that city. I usually begin my research of an area on Urbanspoon. You have to filter out a lot of the reviews but usually you can find one or two reviewers in an area with at least double digit numers of reviews that can be counted on to be fairly accurate.

Also good BBQ is rather subjective.... I know a lot of people that rave about some OKC Q-raunts and I'm sitting there shaking my head and wondering if we were served the same Q...... I'm personally partial to Central Texas style BBQ but as a blogger and a KCBS Certified Judge. I try to base my opinion of each Q-raunt I eat at based on it's own merits and not comparing it to other places I have been.

For example.... I'm not a big fan of sauced meat but when I am served sauced meat I still judge it based on it's appearance, taste, and texture.... Not how it compares to the incredible BBQ I've had in a few places in Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Yeah, also I've talked to OKBBQE Anon about this before, you're one of us. :-P We do Iron Starr for fancy BBQ (their quail breast appetizers are really good) and Mr. Spriggs (whatever their state is right now, I don't know) for regular BBQ.
    I drove by the old Apple Medical building the other night and confirmed that Sprigg's van is parked in front of it but I couldn't see any activity going on..... Odd thing is that there are two empty restaurants just a couple of hundred yards north of there (Old Long John Sivlers and Cocino de Mino) that I would think would require less work to get into than the Apple Medical building but I suppose there could be other issues with those building that might be prohibitive.

13. Default Re: Restaurants in your regular rotation

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    This place absolutely ROCKS the BBQ. No flattop, microwaves, or fryers in the place. Everything is done on the 8 hastybake smoker grills in the kitchen. Everything we had was excellent but the grilled potato salad was out of this world. They make their own sausages.

One of the owners used to work for HastyBake doing their demos and cooking classes. A lot of people don't realize this but in my opinion, two of the best smokers are made in OK. HastyBake in Tulsa and CookShack in Ponca City. If you are in Tulsa...definitely look this place up.
    Funny that you used the word "ROCKS" to describe them. I have often referred to the guys at BurnCo as the rock stars of Oklahoma Q-raunts.

I think one of the things I really like about them is that I also use a charcoal fueled smoker. So the flavor they get is similar to what I make at home.

They have definitely rocked the Tulsa area BBQ scene and it's not an easy place to stand out above the competition because in my opinion some of the best Q-raunts in the state are in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by CuatrodeMayo View Post
    OKBBQ:

Place across the street from *$ HQ in SoDo, Pecos Pit, I think it was called, takeout or sit outside in the drizzle (it's covered, though), they're fairly decent, I used their hottest sauce on their pulled pork sammich. I found a few other places, and it was like if you took the meat from one place, the sauce and buns from another, and the sides from another, you'd have a great BBQ place, but each one fell down in some aspect.

15. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Place across the street from *$ HQ in SoDo, Pecos Pit, I think it was called, takeout or sit outside in the drizzle (it's covered, though), they're fairly decent, I used their hottest sauce on their pulled pork sammich. I found a few other places, and it was like if you took the meat from one place, the sauce and buns from another, and the sides from another, you'd have a great BBQ place, but each one fell down in some aspect.
    Yeah, that name jogged my memory.... I had told whoever asked me theywere one of the higher rated Q-raunts in the area.... Never received a report back from them on whether they tried it or not.

Has anyone been to Kens in Amber lately?

That was some good bbq when I went about 10 years ago.

If I'm not making my own bbq which is so much cheaper and better then it's Leo's or really big pinch the Billy Sims in MWC is good too.

I agree that the Van's in Shawnee is good, but the new Van's in Moore is just plain nasty.

19. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Quote Originally Posted by UnclePete View Post
    I agree that the Van's in Shawnee is good, but the new Van's in Moore is just plain nasty.
    Yeah.... They are getting hammered in the reviews I'm seeing, and hearing, and my first visit wasn't stellar.

I had planned to post a blog about them on May 20th but I just couldn't do it because most of it was going to be negative.

20. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Yeah.... They are getting hammered in the reviews I'm seeing, and hearing, and my first visit wasn't stellar.

I had planned to post a blog about them on May 20th but I just couldn't do it because most of it was going to be negative.
    Absolutely awful....and we were really hopeful considering we live right around the corner. I have to say, some of the worst pulled pork I have ever had (including the cafeteria). Very disappointing to say the least.

As far as best BBQ in the metro, my vote goes to Ray's on Lindsey in Norman. Consistently excellent and the service is always fantastic.

21. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Quote Originally Posted by s00nr1 View Post
    As far as best BBQ in the metro, my vote goes to Ray's on Lindsey in Norman. Consistently excellent and the service is always fantastic.
    I can agree with that..... And they are one of the few places in the metro serving Big Red..... My favorite non-alcoholic drink to accompamy BBQ with.

Quote Originally Posted by ylouder View Post
    If I'm not making my own bbq which is so much cheaper and better then it's Leo's or really big pinch the Billy Sims in MWC is good too.
    The Billy Sims in El Reno was meh. I doubt I'll be going back to any Billy Sims locations. And as far as Okla BBQ being quantity over quality, I'm always disappointed in the portion sizes for what you pay for BBQ around here. The only place I've ever been for BBQ where I went, WOW look at how much food you get is Danna's BBQ in Branson.

23. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Quote Originally Posted by gjl View Post
    And as far as Okla BBQ being quantity over quality, I'm always disappointed in the portion sizes for what you pay for BBQ around here. The only place I've ever been for BBQ where I went, WOW look at how much food you get is Danna's BBQ in Branson.
    When I say quantity over quality I don't mean portion size. I mean they are more concerned with the quantity of people they can serve over the quality of the Q served.

There are two business models in the Q-raunt world.... Cook X amount of meat and when it's gone it's gone or cook enough meat to serve X amount of hours.

The best Q typically comes from the first model and we don't have anyone using that model in Oklahoma City.

When I say quantity over quality I don't mean portion size. I mean they are more concerned with the quantity of people they can serve over the quality of the Q served.

There are two business models in the Q-raunt world.... Cook X amount of meat and when it's gone it's gone or cook enough meat to serve X amount of hours.

The best Q typically comes from the first model and we don't have anyone using that model in Oklahoma City.
    Well Leo's kinda does. I've been a a few times on Friday or Saturday evening and they have been out of ribs or brisket..BUT..It's nothing like the true limited quantities that you get down at the Texas all star bbq places where they are sold out by noon. (Which I truly believe is the right way to cook and serve bbq.

25. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Quote Originally Posted by ylouder View Post
    (Which I truly believe is the right way to cook and serve bbq.
    Exactly.... BBQ doesn't fit the traditional restaurant model well due to the time it takes to make.

I believe I saw you comment earlier about making your own Q..... So you understand where I'm coming from when I give this answer "When it's done." to the question "What time are we eating?"..... Every piece of meat cooks different,..... Arby's may smoke their brisket for 16 hours but mine cook how ever many hours it takes to get it right.

Thread Information