Widgets Magazine
Page 14 of 486 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181964114 ... LastLast

Thread: Devon Energy Center

Default Re: Devon Tower

Quote Originally Posted by FritterGirl View Post
    On another thought, I guess our widdle tower isn't good enough for the Dallas forums. The thread is gone.
    They merged it with an existing one. Here is the new link:
    Dallas Fort Worth Urban Forum - OKC Devon Energy Tower (925 ft, 54 st)

2. Default Re: Devon Tower

Well, I love it! Thank you Devon (& Nichols) for being so civic-minded, visionary, and realistic with OKC's newest tower!

Not only will this be a stunning addition to the skyline, with all the public space it will be a great place to take visitors.

Take a stroll through the rotunda, have lunch in the atrium, walk through the extensive urban garden, then pop directly over to the greatly enhanced Myriad Gardens where you can gaze back in wonder at the whole, awesome complex.

There is a common skyline shot taken from just below the Crystal Bridge that features that structure against Oklahoma Tower and the other buildings. Imagine that with this monster looming overhead! Plus the rotunda and atrium glowing. Should be a real signature perspective.

Or how about the fully built-out Boathouse Row with this gorgeous building as a backdrop???

4. Default Re: Devon Tower

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    Given the fact that Nichols & Devon BOUGHT the Colcord expressly because of their concern of inconvenience, I'd give them the benefit of the doubt when it comes to the parking situation.

I highly doubt they haven't considered the impact on those that are currently using the west garage.

If they end up saying "screw you" to those currently using that structure -- which I think we all realize is highly unlikely -- then you have a legitimate gripe.

For now, nothing has changed.
    Well said!

5. Default Re: Devon Tower

Wow! I dunno what to say. All I can hope for is that KFOR move into a space, anywhere within the first few floors and become the next Today sensation in OKC.

I dont like how many people think this wont get built. I dont really know how/why they could say that. Worst case scenario is they start, the market falls to crap and they dont build it 925 feet tall. Even if it was half as high it would be a welcome edition to downtown. Or if they build to 600 or 650 thats still great for downtown.

But I've gotta say I think Devon will go through with this project and it will be completed.

hey what's up ya'll.I saw the news earlier but I couldn't post because I was at work. I wanna just say JESUSSSSSS.....925 feet. I was kinda getting tired of hearing the word "iconic" but that's really the only way to describe it and to think we well soon trump Dallas skyline ( in height). jbrown your were right on the est. also,we should not rub this in Tulsa's face because this building and our momentum is far bigger than our silly OKC-T town rivaly. we need bigger fish now. Houston and Chicago yall want some of this ? Way to go Oklahoma City..

I pray they don't smear their corporate logo over the thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Nawfside OKC View Post
    hey what's up ya'll.I saw the news earlier but I couldn't post because I was at work. I wanna just say JESUSSSSSS.....925 feet. I was kinda getting tired of hearing the word "iconic" but that's really the only way to describe it and to think we well soon trump Dallas skyline ( in height). jbrown your were right on the est. also,we should not rub this in Tulsa's face because this building and our momentum is far bigger than our silly OKC-T town rivaly. we need bigger fish now. Houston and Chicago yall want some of this ? Way to go Oklahoma City..
    You're kidding right? DFW has about 6 million people is far more dense and currently has a half dozen or more large buildings under construction downtown, 4 of which are large condos I believe. We will never trump the Dallas skyline, but honestly I dont see why that's bad. We're not Dallas. Dallas is a great city, so is Oklahoma City, they're two different types of cities. OKC will have ONE building taller than Dallas, you need to have a look at the rest of their skyline if you think we're topping that anytime soon. The average height of buildings in downtown dallas will far surpass OKC after this tower is built. Lets get back down to reality here

edit: by the way I'm sure your aware, but Chicago is in an entirely different league all together.

10. Default Re: Devon Tower

Quote Originally Posted by jstanthrnme View Post
    I pray they don't smear their corporate logo over the thing...
    How so?

Heaven forbid they put their name on the building.

12. Default Re: Devon Tower

I don't know. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. It does seem as if one can almost count on some Tulsans criticizing any OKC development that gets a lot of publicity. Does it matter? If you hear 10 people rave about your downtown, and one trashes it, how much does that one opinion matter?

Quote Originally Posted by OKC74 View Post
    On my way home from work on one of the animated billboards...there's already a picture of the new building on the Devon advertisement! It says something like "Reaching New Heights"...!! They got that up fast (the pic)!!! Of course since those signs change frequently in rotation, you have to be driving by the signs at just the right time to see it. However, I thought it was cool that it's already there.

Also...how much merit is there to these "naysayers" who keep saying "it'll never happen", etc. Why do they keep saying that? Obviously some of it may be jealousy...but what else? Is it just too big of a project for them to fathom? Or are there grounds for this argument? I'm interested in hear what you have to say on this Pete and Steve. At any rate...I am so freakin' excited!!!!!

13. Default Re: Devon Tower

Yeah really haha. I like their logo.

Will Shakespeare in the Park be moving to the new stage? "See our new $750 million stage."

I've lost parking lots to the Jail(why havn't we sold naming rights to the jail), the Civic Center, and the Library.

Will any broadcasting antennas be on the building? What floor will be Nichols'? Seems like the Myriad Gardens lake is feed by the Garber Sandstone how much of a challenge will that be? I'd like goldfish in the moat.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84 View Post
    How so?
    I can handle something relatively discreet, but when you put it on something that tall, on all sides, it might be a little overkill, thats all I'm saying. Maybe limit it to the atrium/foyer and one side of the structure. Most modern skyscrapers avoid major logos, especially the "iconic" ones.

Basically, I think the building should be the symbol. Why add another??

Quote Originally Posted by OUGrad05 View Post
    You're kidding right? DFW has about 6 million people is far more dense and currently has a half dozen or more large buildings under construction downtown, 4 of which are large condos I believe. We will never trump the Dallas skyline, but honestly I dont see why that's bad. We're not Dallas. Dallas is a great city, so is Oklahoma City, they're two different types of cities. OKC will have ONE building taller than Dallas, you need to have a look at the rest of their skyline if you think we're topping that anytime soon. The average height of buildings in downtown dallas will far surpass OKC after this tower is built. Lets get back down to reality here

edit: by the way I'm sure your aware, but Chicago is in an entirely different league all together.
    dude it was one of them happy post . That's all. I wasn't expecting the building to be that tall . Do you know for a fact if they stay with the 925 feet plan when its done that dallas will haved already built something taller? By the way was in dallas 2 nights ago looked at there skyline quite a bit. I was looking at there current tallest building imaging if the devon building was just 2/3 that tall it would be big, then I get to my hometown to here its gonna be taller.by the way I think all of us OKCtians are familiar with dallas so you look a lil too much into my post. Never do that because im just on here for fun . Chicago is lovely my aunt lives there. But hey on a bigger note im back in my hometown from florida.. love you guys im out.

Maybe they can light it up in a soft blue, evoking a natural gas flame.

That'd be pretty cool, but I thought Devon was bigger in oil and less in gas, just opposite of Chesapeake.

Devon produces slightly more natural gas than oil.

Interesting info.

Glass ceiling: Devon tower to pierce city’s clouds
    The Oklahoman Editorial

Oklahoma City was recently named one of the most recession-proof places in the country. The state’s economy continues to do better than the nation as a whole. A prime factor in both trends is the presence of companies such as Devon Energy Corp.

Detractors have said the capital city is relatively recession-proof due to the number of government jobs. But it’s not a government agency that’s preparing to build what would be the largest and tallest office tower in Oklahoma. It’s Devon.

Chairman Larry Nichols said Wednesday that the previously announced plans for a new downtown office tower will be grander than originally thought. Instead of 37 stories, it will have 54. At that height, the striking design will be visible for miles — a fitting statement for a company and an industry that are so visible these days.

Construction is expected to begin next year on a building that will consolidate Devon’s headquarters city employees in one structure for the first time in years. Plans call for a building 925 feet tall with nearly 2 million square feet of space. By contrast, the current tallest building in Oklahoma, in downtown Tulsa, is 667 feet tall with 52 stories.

That building reflects the boxy modern style prevalent when it was built in the 1970s. Devon plans a post-modern glass skyscraper with a public atrium and landscaped surroundings.

Devon and other city-based oil and gas exploration firms have prospered from rising energy prices. Their growth has helped keep the city’s jobless rate low. Charitable donations from local energy firms are integral to the city’s cultural and social welfare.

For Nichols, this is a time of joy tempered by the sadness of recently losing his father, company co-founder John Whiteman Nichols. From its humble beginnings in 1971, Devon has become an industry giant. Having outgrown its existing downtown office space, the company is ready to soar.

Wow. Just wow. This building will be incredible!

25. Default Re: Devon Tower

^^ Good job architect! that's awesome. You're getting good at sketchup. That is a massive tower.

Thread Information