Widgets Magazine
Page 133 of 141 FirstFirst ... 3383128129130131132133134135136137138 ... LastLast
Results 3,301 to 3,325 of 3525

Thread: Cannabis

Default Re: Cannabis

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    I am guessing this will most likely fail at the polls. Something like 40-60 no. Based on what I saw from my city, county and ward pages on various social media. Very vocal no votes. As well as many religious groups.
    My guess too. I don’t think i saw one vote yes ad on tv in the last week. Probably 10-15 vote no ads daily.

Blog Entries

If we pass SQ820, Oklahoma will become the 22nd state to approved both Medicinal & Recreation marijuana which will benefit Veterans who can't obtain MJ thru the VA; but could allow Veterans to purchase thru Recreational and expunge some previous sentences related to marijuana possession.

Since there is a 'pause' on new dispensaries the Recreational could be sold thru the current established dispensaries.

The State of Oklahoma has had close to three and a half years to address the Medical Marijuana concerns with the roll out of marijuana. We will get from recreational tax 15% benefits at 2x the current rate of Medicinal 7% in excise taxes.

Hopefully, this will cut down on black market sales where the State doesn't receive any tax revenue--failure could result in more
    black market sales--resulting in increased incarceration.

Blog Entries

^I may well be wrong, but I am just the opposite on the prediction.

I’ve talked to a number of people who are pretty apathetic voters in Oklahoma due to the fact the elections are so heavily “red” and normally they think their candidate or cause has no chance. Here they think they actually have a chance to get this passed and have voted early or are voting today. That is about the most unscientific poll you can have… but it’s all I got! Ha.

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    The GOP got what they wanted. They wanted this on a ballot on a day no one cares about. Not a November or June general election. That alone should tell you all you need to know about whether they care about the extra tax revenue coming in.
    Yeah, when I went to vote, the polling place was pretty much empty

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    Owns a liquor store
    I do not own a liquor store but I just do not think it is necessary to have recreational marijuana since the first law has passed years ago and I voted no on that also and all the marijuana stores are everywhere, that is just my opinion and that is why I voted no and I do not even use marijuana either

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    The GOP got what they wanted. They wanted this on a ballot on a day no one cares about. Not a November or June general election. That alone should tell you all you need to know about whether they care about the extra tax revenue coming in.
    I agree that a higher turnout would indeed bring about a landslide. But yes, the choosing of a March election date does have an electioneering feel to it. I thought the will of the people was paramount to party interest. I guess kindergarten was wrong it me above we when it comes to Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by Boop View Post
    I do not own a liquor store but I just do not think it is necessary to have recreational marijuana since the first law has passed years ago and I voted no on that also and all the marijuana stores are everywhere
    It's not really about marijuana stores, which can't increase for two years under this law, and the OMMA can set up more rules. The legislature also has authority to regulate it more than they have.

Really, it's about people who can't rent or buy a house, get a job, or a loan (let alone go to jail) because they have a marijuana conviction. It's like arresting people just for having a 6 pack of beer,

I figured the GOP wanted this on its own day because they figured more left leaning votes would favor it, and them coming out to vote for rec Cannabis could also influence the results of "more important" elections to the GOP.

Quote Originally Posted by jccouger View Post
    I figured the GOP wanted this on its own day because they figured more left leaning votes would favor it, and them coming out to vote for rec Cannabis could also influence the results of "more important" elections to the GOP.
    That’s exactly what they figured. The initiative is very very popular with 18-49 year olds. Last thing they want is that demographic showing up on general Election Day. Keep in mind, Bernie sanders handed Clinton a beat down at the polls in Oklahoma., might not of turned out that way if not for younger voters

10. Default Re: Cannabis

I believe it’s going to fail pretty badly, but that’s just a gut feeling. Rural Oklahoma is pretty upset with how the legalization of medical marijuana has progressed, with criminal enterprises, including foreign cartels, operating with impunity, in their view. The state simply was unprepared for the black market operations that flooded into Oklahoma after medical marijuana passed. If the state had been better prepared to enforce the laws and regulations, I think a lot of people, particularly in the rural areas, would have a much more benign view of recreational legalization and it would pass.

One last comment on the campaigns for Yes: they couldn’t come together on a unified message due to infighting/failure to coordinate and their PR was, in some ways, a disaster. Only late in the game did they get their PR house in order, but I think it was too little too late.

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    I believe it’s going to fail pretty badly, but that’s just a gut feeling. Rural Oklahoma is pretty upset with how the legalization of medical marijuana has progressed, with criminal enterprises, including foreign cartels, operating with impunity, in their view. The state simply was unprepared for the black market operations that flooded into Oklahoma after medical marijuana passed. If the state had been better prepared to enforce the laws and regulations, I think a lot of people, particularly in the rural areas, would have a much more benign view of recreational legalization and it would pass.

One last comment on the campaigns for Yes: they couldn’t come together on a unified message due to infighting/failure to coordinate and their PR was, in some ways, a disaster. Only late in the game, did they get their PR house in order, but I think it was too little too late.
    How is voting no gonna change any of that?

For some reason, some people think voting Yes will lower the regulations grow operations abide by. But the SQ increases funding to the OMMA and expands their ability to regulate growers.

13. Default Re: Cannabis

Voting no, per se, would not change any of that, but that’s not their concern. It’s that voting yes would magnify the problems they’re experiencing, in their view.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I just cancelled yours out. That said I’ve barely heard one word about it save for a commercial featuring an ex cop. I wouldn’t be surprised if it fails. All the under 40 (progressives)people I’ve talked to in the past
    Week seemed to be surprised that it’s on a ballot or that there was a vote today.
    If they drive, I guess there hasn't been enough yes or no signs put up as annoying as they may be. Some dispensaries have yes signs.

Sounds like they should be voting 'yes' on this and voting out their incumbent legislators.

Quote Originally Posted by gjl View Post
    My guess too. I don’t think i saw one vote yes ad on tv in the last week. Probably 10-15 vote no ads daily.
    I think part of that is targeted demographics.

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post

One last comment on the campaigns for Yes: they couldn’t come together on a unified message due to infighting/failure to coordinate and their PR was, in some ways, a disaster. Only late in the game did they get their PR house in order, but I think it was too little too late.
    Chip Paul, one of the leaders of SQ788, said he thought the results of the election would be the same numbers as SQ788 but reversed. One reason he is against SQ820 is because it's not Oklahoma. Much of the funding for the election campaign came from "far left" causes, and he didn't like that. But in nearly every state, the marijuana campaigns needed out of state funding. Paul should be glad that no big money came from Phillip-Morris. To fund his petition for medical marijuana, Paul could only raise around $30,000, all in state and by a miracle and a half, he barely got enough signatures for it. That was a legendary exception. NORML declined to help. It likely thought it would be years before med marijuana would pass in Oklahoma.

seems like with as open as the current medical laws in OK are getting pro turnout might be difficult

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    seems like with as open as the current medical laws in OK are getting pro turnout might be difficult
    Seems to be the take on this, but actually the opposite logical reaction if one doesn't like the current state of the marijuana industry in OK. A 'No' victory could be a missed opportunity to get more supply side regulation with funding to implement and enforce it. At best, it's just kicking that down the line again.

Yep. I think this may be a major factor in it failing (if it does).

I thought this was a pretty good article on the unique circumstances here: https://www.politico.com/news/magazi...ation-00085299

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    Chip Paul, one of the leaders of SQ788, said he thought the results of the election would be the same numbers as SQ788 but reversed. One reason he is against SQ820 is because it's not Oklahoma. Much of the funding for the election campaign came from "far left" causes, and he didn't like that. But in nearly every state, the marijuana campaigns needed out of state funding. Paul should be glad that no big money came from Phillip-Morris. To fund his petition for medical marijuana, Paul could only raise around $30,000, all in state and by a miracle and a half, he barely got enough signatures for it. That was a legendary exception. NORML declined to help. It likely thought it would be years before med marijuana would pass in Oklahoma.
    Far Left?

Quote Originally Posted by Mott View Post
    Far Left?
    Marxijuana

I did my own "polling" over the weekend of younger demographic out and about at bars and the overwhelming majority did not even know it was going for a vote this week. Obviously I am hopeful it still passes, but I think the For campaign failed on the social media front.

24. Default Re: Cannabis

I hate to keep harping on this but the medical law isn't so open for everyone. But I realize I'm in a minority. If it fails I'm going to have to start traveling to Missouri or talk friends in Missouri or Colorado to come visit me more often.

All you have to do is look at history. State question 788 for Medical Marijuana Legalization Initiative in 2018 won 56% to 43%, that is a convincing win. The same people will mostly likely vote the same way today. SQ 820 will pass.

Thread Information