Widgets Magazine
Page 131 of 141 FirstFirst ... 3181126127128129130131132133134135136 ... LastLast
Results 3,251 to 3,275 of 3525

Thread: Cannabis

Default Re: Cannabis

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    I thought you were trying to find a negative about Oklahomans views on weed. If anything, all of the problems that article pointed out are reasons why some might vote against recreational.
    Yep. I'm worried the utter free-for-all our medical market has become will have soured some people on the potential who then think recreational will make it even worse. If medical was a "trial run" in some people's minds, I don't know if they're going to love the preliminary results and vote for more.

Devereaux, the Logan County sheriff, is of two minds. While not happy at the prospect of more marijuana-related businesses, he also said full legalization may be a practical choice to make illegal growing less profitable.

“We can’t put the cat back in the bag right now, I guess. It’s too big. It’s gotten too big to try to control now,” he said.
    This guy had the most sensible take in the whole article, IMO. Nearly the entire rest of it is a weird argument that illegal activity means recreational should stay illegal, which to me just looks like a self fulfilling prophecy.

I thought you were trying to find a negative about Oklahomans views on weed. If anything, all of the problems that article pointed out are reasons why some might vote against recreational.
    Me? It was just an observation, thought the article was interesting, I didn't say anything about the viewpoints in it other than to notice that we were outliers in a lot of categories (I knew we were, just didn't know to what extent).

4. Default Re: Cannabis

I had never voted early before. Lot was full but I never stopped moving and was in and out in 5 minutes. I might do this from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by GoGators View Post
    Yes I doubt that. Stitt has came out opposing it and the Oklahoma Republican Party came out staunchly against it and specifically said that the revenue generating potential "does nothing to persuade us."
    I hadn't heard that. I really hadn't heard much from the state GOP about it, though. While it shouldn't surprise me, it does.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    I had never voted early before. Lot was full but I never stopped moving and was in and out in 5 minutes. I might do this from now on.
    I've voted early once before, and it was because the weather was going to be cold and bad on voting day. That's one of the best reasons to have early voting.

Quote Originally Posted by barrettd View Post
    You doubt our current administration hates pot more than tax revenue?
    Yes. However, at least legislators allowed Oklahomans to vote in 2016 on modernizing its alcohol laws. State government must have been eyeing the tax revenue from it. But marijuana still carries with it a strong stigma, and I can't imagine legislators from their side allowing Oklahomans to vote on legalizing rec marijuana in any form. The defeat of SQ820 will signal to legislators that they still don't need to do that. The people will just have to keep trying with petitions until its done. If I'm right, if SQ820 is defeated, it will be three years before the people can try again for a rec vote. Maybe an upside to the defeat of SQ820 is that legislators won't see it as much necessary to make the petitioning process more difficult.

After weighing what I considered to be pros and cons I voted "YES".
    At the end of the day it came down to criminal justice. People do not need to be fined and or jailed for having cannabis. It is time to stop enriching the DA office, the court system, bail bondsmen and defense lawyers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    At the end of the day it came down to criminal justice. People do not need to be fined and or jailed for having cannabis. It is time to stop enriching the DA office, the court system, bail bondsmen and defense lawyers.
    Maybe you saw where the top donors to the SQ820 campaign are social justice concerns. Some people against SQ820 think it's about big business and will drive the mom-and-pop med marijuana shops out of business. But nowhere is Phillip Morris found in the top 5 donors.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    An interesting aspect of the CJ aspect. I worked at the county district court clerkÂ’s office for a year or so. And the real quiet part out loud here is that I would see felonÂ’s all the time come in to have records sealed. Petitioning expungement. And what youÂ’ll see at that counter is that violent crimes (assaults, rapes, child crimes, and even manslaughter but not murder theyÂ’re actually pretty tough on murder) but those people actually get our relatively quickly. 5 -7 years time served., but IÂ’ve seen many more non violent drug crimes do 10-12-15 years time served. Non violent drug crimes, third strikes drug crimes easily make up a majority of prison occupants. WhatÂ’s more youÂ’ll also see state run institutions with empty beds but virtually zero empty beds at one of our many many private for profit institutions. And these min and med security facilities are NOT safer. A guy I went to middle school with just died as a result of inmate on inmate violence at Conners.

I rambled. But Ultra stiff drug crime sentences produce very very profitable assets for Geo Corp or CCA. While violent crimes are fewer and not profitable at all. Hence the continued need for CJ reform.

I saw quite a few ads on TV last night to vote no with the Save Our Children theme. I didn't see any vote yes ads.

I'm seeing a lot more of the status quo (OKC Chamber of Commerce, etc) coming out forcefully urging people to vote no in the past few days. I'm worried it will be defeated for aforementioned reasons and we'll be left with our de facto Wild West recreational landscape but without many of the tax benefits of full recreational. But it does make me wonder if they're concerned it will be very close if people are now feeling the need to speak out forcefully.

Quote Originally Posted by LocoAko View Post
    I'm seeing a lot more of the status quo (OKC Chamber of Commerce, etc) coming out forcefully urging people to vote no in the past few days. I'm worried it will be defeated for aforementioned reasons and we'll be left with our de facto Wild West recreational landscape but without many of the tax benefits of full recreational. But it does make me wonder if they're concerned it will be very close if people are now feeling the need to speak out forcefully.
    I saw one police officer pro 820. I think it’s also a March election so it’ll be low turnout because a lot of younger voters and urban voters don’t even know about it while you have November elections which turn out so so many more votes. In a perfect world they wouldn’t allow public initiatives on the ballot in March. Only retired people turn out. Whoever did this? I think this was strategic honestly. it’s overwhelmingly popular in the urban areas but our rural population controls the legislature. That’s why they want to keep the turnout low. I mean I hope I’m wrong but I haven’t seen any campaigning save for a mail out and one commercial. But I bet no one turns out but retirees and farmers

15. Default Re: Cannabis

Has Holt tipped his hat either way on how he might vote? I’m assuming he hasn’t as he seems to be busily posting selfies and plates of pasta.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    ... But I bet no one turns out but retirees and farmers
    My wife and I and a friend are voting yes (all in our 50s and actively working professionals), and I'm guessing that there are a lot more like us that will turn out (in addition to the retirees and farmers, if they give enough of a crap to do so).

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    My wife and I and a friend are voting yes (all in our 50s and actively working professionals), and I'm guessing that there are a lot more like us that will turn out (in addition to the retirees and farmers, if they give enough of a crap to do so).
    I hope so. neither my wife or I are cannabis users but from a CJ aspect this could make a sizable impact., I get embarrassed by the number of, profitability and occupancy rate of private prisons. It’s not something to take pride in., the illegality of marajuana has been very useful to LE for years. Really racking up sentences, and companies like CCA and geo have making off like oil companies.

18. Default Re: Cannabis

I hope so. neither my wife or I are cannabis users but from a CJ aspect this could make a sizable impact., I get embarrassed by the number of, profitability and occupancy rate of private prisons. It’s not something to take pride in., the illegality of marajuana has been very useful to LE for years. Really racking up sentences, and companies like CCA and geo have making off like oil companies.
    Not really. Anyone who owned either stock over the last 5 years has gotten crushed. Both are down ~60% over the period.

I saw one police officer pro 820. I think it’s also a March election so it’ll be low turnout because a lot of younger voters and urban voters don’t even know about it while you have November elections which turn out so so many more votes. In a perfect world they wouldn’t allow public initiatives on the ballot in March. Only retired people turn out. Whoever did this? I think this was strategic honestly. it’s overwhelmingly popular in the urban areas but our rural population controls the legislature. That’s why they want to keep the turnout low. I mean I hope I’m wrong but I haven’t seen any campaigning save for a mail out and one commercial. But I bet no one turns out but retirees and farmers
    No wonder why it's important to get the signs up. If they don't watch local TV but drive, maybe they have noticed the yes and no signs, if a good many are out. I believe there are now more yes signs in Stillwater. At one street corner, one no sign got countered by 4 yes signs.

Gov. Stitt did it. It's in his job description. Thankfully, as I pointed out earlier, election law did not allow him to hold the election while college students are on Spring Break. All elections are supposed to be held on the first Tuesday of the month.

And listen to Stitt say the reason to vote NO is because the Feds still haven't legalized marijuana. I'm only lukewarm at best with that happening, because it would allow the Feds to tax marijuana. It would also make big companies like Phillp-Morris think it's time to enter the marijuana market and try to rule it. Many people don't want the mom-and-pop dispensaries driven out of business. I suppose a solution to that is regulate dispensaries similar in some ways to liquor stores.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    No wonder why it's important to get the signs up. If they don't watch local TV but drive, maybe they have noticed the yes and no signs, if a good many are out. I believe there are now more yes signs in Stillwater. At one street corner, one no sign got countered by 4 yes signs.

Gov. Stitt did it. It's in his job description. Thankfully, as I pointed out earlier, election law did not allow him to hold the election while college students are on Spring Break. All elections are supposed to be held on the first Tuesday of the month.

And listen to Stitt say the reason to vote NO is because the Feds still haven't legalized marijuana. I'm only lukewarm at best with that happening, because it would allow the Feds to tax marijuana. It would also make big companies like Phillp-Morris think it's time to enter the marijuana market and try to rule it. Many people don't want the mom-and-pop dispensaries driven out of business. I suppose a solution to that is regulate dispensaries similar in some ways to liquor stores.
    Not sure how long it will take the fed gov't to actually legalize or decriminalize marijuana, but at the very least, it needs to be de-scheduled, and it should've happened years, if not decades ago.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Not sure how long it will take the fed gov't to actually legalize or decriminalize marijuana, but at the very least, it needs to be de-scheduled, and it should've happened years, if not decades ago.
    The fact that democrats, with total control a couple years ago, didn't even truly, seriously discuss it, says all you need to know.

Quote Originally Posted by April in the Plaza View Post
    Not really. Anyone who owned either stock over the last 5 years has gotten crushed. Both are down ~60% over the period.
    But if you are a mineral or royalty owner you've been killing it since 2018 - 19 thereabouts.

The fact that democrats, with total control a couple years ago, didn't even truly, seriously discuss it, says all you need to know.
    What relevance does the Democratic political party have to this discussion?
    As far as total political control, that is BS. Are you familiar with needing 60 votes in the Senate?
    Please leave your partisan takes to somewhere else. Thank you.

^^

Not commenting on control and what not, but actually legalization of Mary Jane is almost completely partisan. Generally speaking, most of my conservative friends are totally against it based on their principles, meanwhile most of my liberal friends are completely for it. Also if you look at the maps provided earlier of the counties that carried the approval of the legalization of the stuff medically, it's your more liberal-leaning counties that voted for it.
    Last edited by MagzOK; 03-06-2023 at 11:57 AM. Reason: changed "states" to "counties" as intended, in Oklahoma. Referencing a link someone posted showing counties for and against

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    ^^

Not commenting on control and what not, but actually legalization of Mary Jane is almost completely partisan. Generally speaking, most of my conservative friends are totally against it based on their principles, meanwhile most of my liberal friends are completely for it. Also if you look at the maps provided earlier of the states that carried the approval of the legalization of the stuff medically, it's your more liberal-leaning counties that voted for it.
    Interestingly, Dems over 70yo support medical and recreational use of MJ less than Reps under 29yo. In other words, Reps under 29yo are more likely to support legalization than Dems over 70.
    Overwhelming support for legal recreational or medical marijuana in U.S. | Pew Research Center

Thread Information