Widgets Magazine
Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: REHCO / Former Downtown Ford site

Default Re: Downtown Ford Site

If I owned that property I'd wait to see how everything shakes out with the convention center, Central Park, boulevard, etc. Then I'd make my development decisions.

If things go according to plan, this is arguably the best piece of property in all of OKC, downtown or otherwise. Large, contiguous tract with the massively improved Myriad Gardens to the north, right next door to a remodeled arena, frontage on the new boulevard and right across the street from Central Park -- and probably the convention center.

A combination of high-rise hotel, condos and some retail will probably end up being the highest and best use. Let's hope the developers are willing to go big. If any site can justify it, it's this one.

My Downtown Ford Site Timeline Prediction:

May 2011: Ford Site Not Selected As Convention Center Site
    August 2011: Announcement of how Ford Site will be redeveloped
    November 2011: Plans released on how Ford Site will be redeveloped
    April 2012: Groundbreaking for new development at Ford Site
    Aug 2013: Construction Complete

G.Walker - you better make that completion date Aug 2015. If they can build what ever they are going to build in 12 months it will be a disappointment. A house takes 4 to7 months.

Kerry, one can do a lot in 18 months...look how far along Devon Tower has progressed in just 17 months? And I am positive whatever is planned for the Ford site will not be even half of what Devon is.

5. Default Re: Downtown Ford Site

Two words: Whole Foods.

I'm with Kerry, GW, with that timeline, it definitely won't be highest and best use. Just think, Devon will take nearly 3 years start to finish. We want at least 2 towers on that site, plus mixed use.

I honestly don't think we will get two towers on that site, it would be nice, but I doubt it...lets come back down to reality, I see probably 10 story condo with ground level retail, and adjacent 15 story hotel with parking garage.

Something more on the lines like this:

Not this:

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    I honestly don't think we will get two towers on that site, it would be nice, but I doubt it...lets come back down to reality, I see probably 10 story condo with ground level retail, and adjacent 15 story hotel with parking garage.
    That is still two towers.

You have mid-rise, high-rise, tower, skyscraper...everybody has their different interpretations, when I think of tower, I think of at least 20+ stories...I guess we will know soon...to me, anything is better than nothing....

Blog Entries

I think ideally you would want a 250-500 room full service "event" hotel on the 4 star level (can we convince Charlie Givens to bring a ZaZa here to his hometown) with large common areas for gathering, but not necessarily convention space. Add to that a 15-20 story upscale residence tower with bottom 10 floors for lease and top 10 for purchase. Tie it together with business plaza of upscale restaurants, personal service companies (hair dressers, cleaners, tailors, etc.), and put 2 story center of clubs, restaurants, shops between that and the Ford Center.

I've been involved with several Ritz Carton projects which combine an upscale hotel with upscale condos and they sell out quickly. I don't think we will yet be on Ritz's radar, but we could have our own "Ritz Lite" project and make it work. I just recently worked on the LA Live project next to the Staples Center and it is pretty cool.

12. Default Re: Downtown Ford Site

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    If I owned that property I'd wait to see how everything shakes out with the convention center, Central Park, boulevard, etc. Then I'd make my development decisions.

If things go according to plan, this is arguably the best piece of property in all of OKC, downtown or otherwise. Large, contiguous tract with the massively improved Myriad Gardens to the north, right next door to a remodeled arena, frontage on the new boulevard and right across the street from Central Park -- and probably the convention center.

A combination of high-rise hotel, condos and some retail will probably end up being the highest and best use. Let's hope the developers are willing to go big. If any site can justify it, it's this one.

Kerry, I bet this is exactly what happens. How big it goes will completely depend on what surrounds it and how solid the market demand is for that area for that particular use.

13. Default Re: Downtown Ford Site

My Downtown Ford Site Timeline Prediction:

May 2011: Ford Site Not Selected As Convention Center Site
    August 2011: Announcement of how Ford Site will be redeveloped
    November 2011: Plans released on how Ford Site will be redeveloped
    April 2012: Groundbreaking for new development at Ford Site
    Aug 2013: Construction Complete
    That's not going to happen. G Walker...you don't want this to happen. With the market/economy today, you want them to delay plans for awhile. Also, that site will almost assuredly be built in phases. I think a 10 year horizon for it to be fully developed is more appropriate and very prudent. The LAST thing you want is developing too fast and with things that aren't good for that site long-term.

I dont think we will see multiple towers. Im not sure we will even see one. There isnt much of a market for them. Maybe somethng that is 5-6 stories but I dont see much more. I guess they do have the advantage of not having to pay high land acquisition costs but I just dont see any residential over 10 stories happening in OKC anytime soon. Last years ULI panel said the same.

Heck, even a high rise hotel wont happen without a private/public partnership. Its so incredibly expensive to build up.

We have 22% population growth in the urban core. Downtown OKC is the fastest growing residential area in the State. Demand for rental is there and a tower will make a nice condo conversion in 10 years.

The Central Park area will also become very desirable; I'm with Kerry, demand is there.

Quote Originally Posted by mcca7596 View Post
    The Central Park area will also become very desirable; I'm with Kerry, demand is there.
    I don't even live in the State and I am trying to talk the wife into moving back and living downtown.

18. Default Re: Downtown Ford Site

I would call this my wildest hopes (within reason) for downtown OKC.

The demand is there, and that being the best piece of real estate in Oklahoma City makes it even better. If a 10 story hotel/convention center work in Norman.

http://www.bradenton.com/2011/03/09/...-oklahoma.html

I am sure downtown OKC can support a 20 story hotel, next to Arena, Central Park, and Myriad Gardens. Now condos, that's a different issue, the best bet would be for Bob and Fred to make that site for convention center hotel...with adjacent office mid-rise and parking garage...let Deep Deuce, Midtown, and new central park area absorb condo/apartment development...

My Proposal:

15 Story Class A Office Building
    20 Story Hotel

both would use same 7 level parking garage...

Phase I: build parking garage first, followed by hotel
    Phase II: build office building, securing a tenant who would occupy at least 40%, and with all companies wanting to move downtown, don't see this as a problem

Budget: $85M

If they build a 10 story or 15 story building on that site it will shade the Myriad Gardens Crystal Bridge. This would not be good for the newly renovated gardens!

21. Default Re: Downtown Ford Site

The demand is there, and that being the best piece of real estate in Oklahoma City makes it even better. If a 10 story hotel/convention center work in Norman.

http://www.bradenton.com/2011/03/09/...-oklahoma.html

I am sure downtown OKC can support a 20 story hotel, next to Arena, Central Park, and Myriad Gardens. Now condos, that's a different issue, the best bet would be for Bob and Fred to make that site for convention center hotel...with adjacent office mid-rise and parking garage...let Deep Deuce, Midtown, and new central park area absorb condo/apartment development...

My Proposal:

15 Story Class A Office Building
    20 Story Hotel

both would use same 7 level parking garage...

Phase I: build parking garage first, followed by hotel
    Phase II: build office building, securing a tenant who would occupy at least 40%, and with all companies wanting to move downtown, don't see this as a problem

Budget: $85M
    I think that the site is an incredible opportunity to pursue some heavy duty downtown retail for once. I think that if the project had a mixed-use nature, retail and residential, that makes it the likeliest to sign certain brands to come to downtown--the rooftops right above will be a major selling point. Ultimately, the point of mixed-uses also isn't to have specialized districts--commercial in downtown, residential in Deep Deuce, entertainment in Bricktown. That's a zoning apartheid. It all needs to be mixed, and above all, Bricktown and downtown need to start seeing some actual residential for a change--that's what will pump real vitality (that is constant) into the core and into Bricktown. I think having the Myriad Gardens surrounded by mixed-use on all sides would be a great opportunity to finally, for the first time ever, really take advantage of that particular asset.

Quote Originally Posted by lasomeday View Post
    If they build a 10 story or 15 story building on that site it will shade the Myriad Gardens Crystal Bridge. This would not be good for the newly renovated gardens!
    Any buildings built on the N. or S. side of the gardens will have ZERO effect on the plants outside or the ones inside the Crystal tube.

23. Default Re: Downtown Ford Site

Actually the position of the sun over OKC is heavily affected by Oklahoma's location in this thing called the "Northern Hemisphere."

But you know that!

Not all plants require, or can tolerate, full sun. Consistent and dependable shade in parts of the park would actually allow for a greater variety of plants.

I know this would be very ambitious but I'd love to see something like the new Ritz Carlton in downtown L.A. where floors 1-26 are the hotel and 27-52 are residences. The condo owners also get to use the athletic facilities, concierge, and other amenities.

Thread Information