Widgets Magazine
Page 13 of 46 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Hill, The

Default Re: The Hill

Just the Facts, who do you buy your car insurance from?

Sorry to go off thread!

BTW, i think the Hill has some of the best views in all of downtown.

Kim

just a note about HOA dues ... yours may be small now (i'm sure the developer runs the HOA) but the likely are not close to what the "real" cost will be once the HOA is turned over to the home owners ... developers set HOA dues low to help them sell the property ..

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    You can add in another $300+ a month for lawn maintenance savings, and if the Hill is anywhere near as energy efficient as the brownstones, I can add in another $300+ a month in ultility savings. The savings add up rather quickly. My insurance costs dropped too.
    I didn't add in lawn care because I do most of that myself. We do pay $40 bi-monthly for lawn sprawing and I would have to see what we pay for irrigation (we are on a second meter for that so that should be easy to find). I spend atleast 4 hours per week in lawn care. A gallon of gas in the mower lasts nearly 2 months but the mower did cost $400 (plus I still had to buy an edger, weedeater, leaf blower, chain saw, and hedge trimmer).

Our electric bill is off the chart at just over $500 month during the summer months and we already pay $1400 per year in HOA dues.

So yes, the savings add up fast. Downtown might not be right for everyone, but it is a good fit for me.

Quote Originally Posted by ksearls View Post
    Just the Facts, who do you buy your car insurance from?

Sorry to go off thread!

BTW, i think the Hill has some of the best views in all of downtown.

Kim
    State Farm - but I am looking at new insurance as we speak.

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    You can add in another $300+ a month for lawn maintenance savings, and if the Hill is anywhere near as energy efficient as the brownstones, I can add in another $300+ a month in ultility savings. The savings add up rather quickly. My insurance costs dropped too.
    Betts, I know you are a big proponent of DT living and some of the reasons are justified, but you continue to compare your old, very expensive cost of living to what you have now. When you live in a very large house with a large yard and pool you most certainly will live more efficiently and cheaper by moving into what you have now. When you compare cost of living between a mcmansion to a smaller, efficient brownstone, you will obviously live cheaper. Most people looking at downtown wont find those savings simply because they weren't living that expensively in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Most people looking at downtown wont find those savings simply because they weren't living that expensively in the first place.
    That is true for Betts but people taking her advice could avoid making the same mistakes her, me, and lots of other people made by throwing away money on suburbia. I will never get back the 10s of thousands I have spent on gasoline. Trust me - I wish I had never spent it in the first place. The only thing better than saving money, is not having spent it in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Betts, I know you are a big proponent of DT living and some of the reasons are justified, but you continue to compare your old, very expensive cost of living to what you have now. When you live in a very large house with a large yard and pool you most certainly will live more efficiently and cheaper by moving into what you have now. When you compare cost of living between a mcmansion to a smaller, efficient brownstone, you will obviously live cheaper. Most people looking at downtown wont find those savings simply because they weren't living that expensively in the first place.
    My brownstone isn't that much smaller than my previous house, and some of the people who might consider living downtown may well be living in McMansions. In addition, I paid lawncare costs no matter what size house I've lived in. My utility costs per square foot are far lower than any other house I've ever lived in. I actually left water and pool maintenance expenses out of my post, which would push my savings far higher. So, my statements may well be relevant to people thinking about moving into some of the townhouses downtown. Some people who move are thinking about moving up, and some are thinking about downsizing. Very few people make lateral moves, and so all these discussions are relevant to someone. There are multiple, multiple posts from people complaining about the costs of buying downtown, so I think it's reasonable to remind people there are savings as well. I like to think I help keep the discussions fair and balanced (a little tongue-in-cheek here).

I agree 100%.

I'm a big fan of show me the money....Here's a screen print from OG&E on my electric bill (which is the only utility I pay at The Hill outside of Water/Cable)....There are only 8 days left until my billing cycle is over and I'm only at about $47 in electricity used this month. For the first time in my life, I actually like getting my electric bill (to see how low it will be) after all of those years with the huges ones at my old place!

Quote Originally Posted by Okie Yorker View Post
    I purchased one of the units at The Hill recently and I ABSOLUTELY love it! I did a lot of research downtown and picked The Hill because it's finishes are great and the quality of construction is fantastic. .......................

..........................I encourage you to come visit The Hill, do a tour and put the pencil to the paper to crunch some numbers. I think you might be pleasantly surprised by how affordable it is to live downtown compared to other housing options. Although I have a little less space than my previous home, I am saving about $1,000 a month when all is said and done with and the previous home in the OKC suburbs was at the same price point of the unit I purchased downtown (thru no pool costs, no yard care costs, 80% lower utility costs (and I'm not exaggerating on that at all) no high insurance costs--that is covered by the HOA dues, no fixing stuff all of the time, etc.).

That's my .02
    Absolutely the best description of the Hill I have ever read. Very good information and gives a new inside perspective of The Hill. I hope you continue to post with updates and pictures.

If you are anything like betts, the both of you should get commissions for new sales, betts with Maywood brownstones and you with The Hill development.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyline View Post
    Absolutely the best description of the Hill I have ever read. Very good information and gives a new inside perspective of The Hill. I hope you continue to post with updates and pictures.

If you are anything like betts, the both of you should get commissions for new sales, betts with Maywood brownstones and you with The Hill development.
    Thank you I'm just excited about the project and all of downtown in general! I really look forward to my trips back to OKC each month! LOL @ commission comment.

Okie Yorker, do you get the feeling the development is starting to fill up a bit? Have you noticed a difference recently? Seems like sales and activity in general have picked up.

Also, any word on them completing the pool and clubhouse in the near future?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    Okie Yorker, do you get the feeling the development is starting to fill up a bit? Have you noticed a difference recently? Seems like sales and activity in general have picked up.

Also, any word on them completing the pool and clubhouse in the near future?
    I sure do Pete. I have only lived at the Hill for a few months but its nice to see all of the closings. From what I understand, two of the larger units in the new building that is being constructed (on 2nd Street) should be finished and closing around the first part of the upcoming year (2012).

The sales office seems to have a pretty steady flow of people from what I can see. I think theres a lot of interest and with all the recent sales, I think fence sitters that were interested in the complex are giving it another look

I think the developer is pretty close to having enough units sold to start constructing the Pool / Clubhouse from what I hear. I think when the clubhouse and pool is open, that will be a really positive atribute for the community and will help encourage more sales.

I sure do Pete. I have only lived at the Hill for a few months but its nice to see all of the closings. From what I understand, two of the larger units in the new building that is being constructed (on 2nd Street) should be finished and closing around the first part of the upcoming year (2012).

The sales office seems to have a pretty steady flow of people from what I can see. I think theres a lot of interest and with all the recent sales, I think fence sitters that were interested in the complex are giving it another look

I think the developer is pretty close to having enough units sold to start constructing the Pool / Clubhouse from what I hear. I think when the clubhouse and pool is open, that will be a really positive atribute for the community and will help encourage more sales.
    How much does a unit cost at The Hill? We might consider buying one.

Quote Originally Posted by MDot View Post
    How much does a unit cost at The Hill? We might consider buying one.
    They start around $365k for a 2nd and go up into the $800k range depending on size.

They start around $365k for a 2nd and go up into the $800k range depending on size.
    Thank you very much!

They are in the process of updating their website www.thehillokc.com, so maybe they will be starting phase II soon?

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    They are in the process of updating their website www.thehillokc.com, so maybe they will be starting phase II soon?
    I'm not sure...I know they had a couple of more units at the Hill go under contract in the last month so that is a step in the right direction. Downtown is having some good activity lately....Can't wait for The Level & aLoft to Open as i really think that will be great for Deep Deuce!

Checking the assessor records, 10 units at The Hill have now been sold of the 28 that are complete.

The good news is that six have sold in the last 8 months while only 4 had sold in the previous two years.

Hopefully they will now start on phase 2...they should regroup and redesign phase 2, make them not as expensive as phase 1, with lower price points...

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    Hopefully they will now start on phase 2...they should regroup and redesign phase 2, make them not as expensive as phase 1, with lower price points...
    Really? More like, hopefully they sell it to someone with a better plan.

I am new to the message board. Moved into the hill back in October. My wife and I love it here. We had a baby in November and we are so excited to raise our child downtown. We love the location of the Hill. It is centrally located in OKC, access to all highways. Can get to any apart of OKC within 15 minutes. I work downtown so my drive to work is only minutes away. My wife works up off of Broadway Ext, so her commute is very convenient.

I see all of these complaints about the inside being to suburban, but my wife and I love the look. It feels more homely to us. When our friends have come over they have been surprised with how homely it feels. Definitely not what any of them expected. We have only thrown a few get togethers since moving in but we have only received positive feedback from all people. My in-laws who are more country (from Choctaw) love it too.

We lived in Edmond previously. We have basically seen our electric bill be half of what it was in Edmond and our house here is 500 square feet bigger. HOA dues are very reasonable and the fact I have no yard maintenance is amazing. We are real excited about MAP 3 and the new elementary school that will be built downtown.

This talk of making this rental property to me is horrible. There is plenty of rental properties downtown OKC. Downtown needs more ownership that way people have more respect and love for their property. Ownership only helps the longevity of downtown. I truly feel downtown is only going up from here too.

Believe they have sold 5-6 units since I moved in in October... Two contracts agreed upon last week. So excited for all the growth and new neighbors.

kjones, welcome to the forum and thanks for posting.

I think The Hill is really going to fill up in the very near future.

I have to ask kjones - with all of downtown OKC less than a mile away from your front door why are you driving there? One of the things that makes me want to move downtown is that I can get rid of at least one car - which would save me over $1,000 per month in car payment, insurance, and gasoline. That is like getting a $12,000 raise.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    I have to ask kjones - with all of downtown OKC less than a mile away from your front door why are you driving there? One of the things that makes me want to move downtown is that I can get rid of at least one car - which would save me over $1,000 per month in car payment, insurance, and gasoline. That is like getting a $12,000 raise.
    Haha, never misses a beat. I can basically predict what you're going to say just by reading the subject at hand. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by MDot View Post
    Haha, never misses a beat. I can basically predict what you're going to say just by reading the subject at hand. LOL
    As long as people keep driving their car less than a mile I am going to keep asking. My neighbor does the same thing when going to our community pool - it is a half mile and she drivers her car. She will ride her bike for exercise but if she goes to the pool she drives her car. I can't figure it out so I asked her why she does it. She said it is 100% habit - if she leaves the house she drives. It makes no sense and she said she really didn't think about it until I asked her.

Maybe it is just me - I cringe everytime I start my car and do everything to avoid driving it - including riding my bike 6 miles round trip to get fast-food. I find it interesting (and sad) that the average American household starts their car 13 times a day and most don't even realize it.

http://www.bts.gov/programs/national...ly_travel.html

Thread Information