Widgets Magazine
Page 13 of 73 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171863 ... LastLast

Thread: Costco

Default Re: Costco in Active Negotiations

Quote Originally Posted by Lafferty Daniel View Post
    Actually, if they build in OKC, it would still be unique to Tulsa. Tulsa and OKC are different cities and their borders are not even close. I'm not sure why this is hard to understand. If they meant it as being unique to Oklahoma, they would have said "unique to Oklahoma".
    Technically then, Costco wouldn't qualify as "unique to Tulsa" because there are hundreds of Costco stores in other places besides Tulsa, so the store in Tulsa won't be "unique to Tulsa," except in the interpretation that it will be the only one in Tulsa. That is why there has to be some implication as to on what level is the store "unique to Tulsa." That phrase IS open to interpretation, but the interpretation that makes the most sense is on the city level. I agree that having stores in OKC eventually should not disqualify the Tulsa store from the incentives in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by worthy cook View Post
    I have a hard time grasping why someone would drive to Tulsa, yet anywhere 1.5 to 2 hours, for just Costco. Unless you live in a rural area
    Even though I live in OKC, I'd still drive to check out the location. I go to Carrollton once or twice a year to a Korean supermarket (called H-Mart) because as I'm sure you're all aware Oklahoma only has four-ish tiny Korean markets.

But back to Costco, I'd probably do the same thing; maybe once or twice a year until OKC gets one. I'm so sick of Sam's Club.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerFP View Post
    Technically then, Costco wouldn't qualify as "unique to Tulsa" because there are hundreds of Costco stores in other places besides Tulsa, so the store in Tulsa won't be "unique to Tulsa," except in the interpretation that it will be the only one in Tulsa. That is why there has to be some implication as to on what level is the store "unique to Tulsa." That phrase IS open to interpretation, but the interpretation that makes the most sense is on the city level. I agree that having stores in OKC eventually should not disqualify the Tulsa store from the incentives in this case.
    Why are you even arguing if you agree that it is meaning it is unique to Tulsa not unique to Oklahoma? Are you just typing to get the last word?

My apologies, but after rereading your post, I see we were basically saying the same things, but I just was going the long away around to get to what you said, more succinctly. I do tend to be a bit verbose. Sorry about misunderstanding your point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As far as drawing "out of state" shoppers Tulsa is fairly close to three other states so it could be a fairly easy draw. I don't think there are Costco stores in NWA or Joplin.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewmperry View Post
    Do you have any facts supporting this? You've said it multiple times, but I have yet to find someone who actually does it.
    I am one. So are 8 of my coworkers.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I've never heard of anyone going to Dallas for Costco. I do know of people who have driven to go to stores like Versace, Louis Vuitton, Gucci.... etc.
    Again I am one so are the rest of my 8 coworkers. Not to just shop at costco but it was a definite stop. And we always figured when costco sees credit card registered in okc being used in Dallas. It will eventually bring some attention.

8. Default Re: Costco in Active Negotiations

Quote Originally Posted by beshy View Post
    I am one. So are 8 of my coworkers.
    You and eight of your coworkers drive 2 hours to shop in Tulsa? Where?

Quote Originally Posted by andrewmperry View Post
    You and eight of your coworkers drive 2 hours to shop in Tulsa? Where?
    I am talking about going Dallas. And not together. Usually with our respective family.

10. Default Re: Costco in Active Negotiations

Quote Originally Posted by beshy View Post
    I am talking about going Dallas. And not together. Usually with our respective family.
    I was under the impression we were talking about Tulsa still...

Official announcement. Costco in Tulsa. Guess the saying "Tulsa class OKC trash" may have some truth behind it. As always, Tulsa first then maybe OKC. Still waiting for The Fresh Market to open a store in OKC. Not sure why they have one in Tulsa and not OKC. Sigh...

At least, I can use my membership there. Won't have to drive down to Dallas anymore.

I remember going to Tulsa for Whole Foods before there was one in OKC. I remember specifically taking day trips out there with the main reason to go to Whole Foods.

For those of you that think I am crazy for doing so, it may be irrational, yet it satisfies something inside of me. Call me a snob, call me what you will. Once you live someplace with upscale options, its difficult to go back to something mediocre. So, I will go out of my way to satisfy that "hunger" for upscale options. While costco isn't spectacular, it's quite a step above Sams club. I will not shop at Sams club when I have Costco as an option. They treat their employees well, they have a great return policy, their items are better quality than Sams, and they pay their employees very well. This makes for a much more pleasant buying experience and I would much rather spend my money to a place that has decent ethics.

Classifying Costco as "class" or "upscale" means you need to get out more. I don't shop at Walmart, but that doesn't mean my life is incomplete without Costco. It's a big box discount store, nothing more.

Yikes, all this vitriol over a Costco. I don't get it. It's just a bulk goods wholesaler... that Oprah likes. Big deal. lol

Quote Originally Posted by zachj7 View Post
    Official announcement. Costco in Tulsa. Guess the saying "Tulsa class OKC trash" may have some truth behind it. As always, Tulsa first then maybe OKC. Still waiting for The Fresh Market to open a store in OKC. Not sure why they have one in Tulsa and not OKC. Sigh...

At least, I can use my membership there. Won't have to drive down to Dallas anymore.

I remember going to Tulsa for Whole Foods before there was one in OKC. I remember specifically taking day trips out there with the main reason to go to Whole Foods.

For those of you that think I am crazy for doing so, it may be irrational, yet it satisfies something inside of me. Call me a snob, call me what you will. Once you live someplace with upscale options, its difficult to go back to something mediocre. So, I will go out of my way to satisfy that "hunger" for upscale options. While costco isn't spectacular, it's quite a step above Sams club. I will not shop at Sams club when I have Costco as an option. They treat their employees well, they have a great return policy, their items are better quality than Sams, and they pay their employees very well. This makes for a much more pleasant buying experience and I would much rather spend my money to a place that has decent ethics.
    +1

I am just going to say that for a supposedly "up and coming" city like OKC, its disappointing to see it continually take a back seat to little ole Tulsa. Costco and Trader Joe's are by no means high end, at least in my opinion, but once you've had them its difficult to go back to Wally World.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    +1

I am just going to say that for a supposedly "up and coming" city like OKC, its disappointing to see it continually take a back seat to little ole Tulsa. Costco and Trader Joe's are by no means high end, at least in my opinion, but once you've had them its difficult to go back to Wally World.
    It's disappointing to see you suffer in this city when you could just move to someplace less disappointing to you ... I mean, seriously, if Oklahoma City is so wretched to you, why are you still here?

Costco is already looking for another site for a 2nd store in the Tulsa market. They said at the announcement yesterday that it will be in the city not the suburbs.

Quote Originally Posted by In_Tulsa View Post
    Costco is already looking for another site for a 2nd store in the Tulsa market. They said at the announcement yesterday that it will be in the city not the suburbs.
    Do you have evidence of this? You also said previously that Pappadeaux is also coming to Tulsa but I have searched the Internet and haven't even found speculation of that other than your posts here and on TulsaNow. If its true, that would be an extra slap in the face to OKC if Tulsa ended up with two Costco locations before we even get our first. I have doubts though. Cities like Memphis and Birmingham only have a single Costco. Charlotte only has two locations and its exactly double the size of OKC.

If people are driving more than 30 minutes to shop at a warehouse then.... hell, I can't even come up with an analogy of how sad that is. All I can say is, a lot of people need to set their sights a little higher.

people who drive to Dallas to go to Ikea or a mall, or drive 100 miles to get overpriced organic food (while we're at it, people who drive to DFW to save $150 on airfare)...i don't even have the words...

20. Default Re: Costco in Active Negotiations

Quote Originally Posted by pahdz View Post
    people who drive to Dallas to go to Ikea or a mall, or drive 100 miles to get overpriced organic food (while we're at it, people who drive to DFW to save $150 on airfare)...i don't even have the words...
    I totally agree, Brad. It blows my mind that to some people those things are worth a drive.

OKC is pretty much a retail desert. Its understandable why people would go to Tulsa or Dallas to shop especially if they are transplants and are accustomed to better options. Prior to Whole Foods opening in OKC, you pretty much had to go to Tulsa or Dallas to get certain things. There was no Uptown Grocery, Sprouts, or Crest Fresh Market either. If you couldn't find it at Wal-Mart or Homeland, you had to go to at least Tulsa.

OKC is pretty much a retail desert. Its understandable why people would go to Tulsa or Dallas to shop especially if they are transplants and are accustomed to better options. Prior to Whole Foods opening in OKC, you pretty much had to go to Tulsa or Dallas to get certain things. There was no Uptown Grocery, Sprouts, or Crest Fresh Market either. If you couldn't find it at Wal-Mart or Homeland, you had to go to at least Tulsa.
    It's called the internet - everything can be delivered.

Amazon.com: Online Shopping for Electronics, Apparel, Computers, Books, DVDs & more

23. Default Re: Costco in Active Negotiations

Crest Fresh Market - Home of Rock Bottom Prices

I understand the drive to DFW in some cases. By the time you connect through a hub, it may be quicker to drive to DFW and take non-stop flight. Also, $150 x family of five is $750 savings. My wife has also driven to Wichita to take Airtrans flights with the kids as they were significantly cheaper. She could save 500-1000 dollars on Airfare by using 40 dollars worth of diesel in the jetta

edit...to make on topic..... If they fly out of DFW...they can hit Costco on the way home

Sorry, I put a value on my time and driving and wasting gas for a couple of items (that there is a 99.9% chance I can find a substitute for) is just ridiculous.

Thread Information