Widgets Magazine
Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: 2028 Olympics in OKC

Default Re: 2028 Olympics in OKC

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    Your point is what?
    i was taking your cheeky comment, and adding one of my own.

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    i was taking your cheeky comment, and adding one of my own.
    Nothing cheeky about it.
    The owners of this facility have not added this basic hygiene feature after a recent renovation. Ya think the World Series facility in Nebraska has showers?
    Quit being so offended.

Nothing cheeky about it.
    The owners of this facility have not added this basic hygiene feature after a recent renovation. Ya think the World Series facility in Nebraska has showers?
    Quit being so offended.
    I'm not the one getting riled up. ��

I was joking.

Nothing cheeky about it.
    Quit being so offended.
    Well showers are always a bit cheeky for the parties involved.

I would assume that an Olympic softball facility would have to have showers.
    why?

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Well showers are always a bit cheeky for the parties involved.
    Well played sir

Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    There are 21 NCAA D1 softball programs in California each with a potential stadium.
    One of the reasons that LA in 1984 was the last city to have a net operating profit from hosting the Olympics was the ample existing infrastructure in and around southern California. They were also the only bid that year because cities had recently lost so much money on it. So, they didn't have to bribe the IOC as much, lol.

That's why they're really smart to partner with other markets, like OKC, that already have sufficient facilities for certain sports. It will be interesting to see if LA is able to profit from hosting again.

Well played sir

Went with that instead of a Penn St joke. Restraint is important in life.

Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    One of the reasons that LA in 1984 was the last city to have a net operating profit from hosting the Olympics was the ample existing infrastructure in and around southern California. They were also the only bid that year because cities had recently lost so much money on it. So, they didn't have to bribe the IOC as much, lol.

That's why they're really smart to partner with other markets, like OKC, that already have sufficient facilities for certain sports. It will be interesting to see if LA is able to profit from hosting again.
    Atlanta is also referenced as the last profitable game, which was in 1996, I am not sure if there is a technical difference in type of profitability.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post

Went with that instead of a Penn St joke. Restraint is important in life.
    Penn St has a strong ewwww factor. You made a good choice imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    Atlanta is also referenced as the last profitable game, which was in 1996.
    I hadn't seen that, but I could see how that's possible. I'm sure there is ample athletic facilities in Atlanta as well.

I am not sure if there is a technical difference in type of profitability.
    I think the anecdote about LA I read was simply the profit from holding and operating the games. There's always other economic and PR benefits to it, but they were just looking at the cost to put the games on and the revenue generated directly.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    Atlanta is also referenced as the last profitable game, which was in 1996, I am not sure if there is a technical difference in type of profitability.
    Makes since. Those Atlanta games were explosive...... I will see myself out now....

I was hoping we'd get an announcement before the end of the year, but that's seeming less likely...

Unfortunately, the longer this keeps dragging on, the more I think LA is trying to figure out a way to build or create a facility in So Cal.

Unfortunately, the longer this keeps dragging on, the more I think LA is trying to figure out a way to build or create a facility in So Cal.
    No, as I've been saying for months, the whitewater events are coming to OKC.

LA28 hasn't announced their final list of events and locations for any events; that's coming this month or next.

From the News9 article posted above, anyone know what the guy is referring to in the bolded portion below?

“I’m thrilled about the opportunities that the road to LA 28 and the games present for your city, and I look forward to working with you to make the most of these opportunities,” Sribar said in his response to Ming, Mayor Holt, and Riversport OKC executive director Mike Knopp. “I hope that together [we] will overcome the headwinds from those in the US paddlesports leadership stuck in the past and unable to visualize the possibilities that the games and investments in youth and diversity present for OKC and nationally.”

I’ve heard the director of airports is holding it up lol.

This is one of those unique instances where the citizens of OKCTalk know a deal of behind the scenes stuff, through Pete’s work, that most anyone outside this niche would have never entertained.

We should have information on the exact improvements planned for the Riversport area very soon.

Believe that will come before LA28 makes an official announcement either later this month or in January.

I'm sure at minimum, a large parking structure is in those plans.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    I'm sure at minimum, a large parking structure is in those plans.
    I don't think so.

Most likely temporary stands and improvements to existing buildings; maybe an additional structure.

Parking almost certainly would be accommodated by shuttle busses from the many parking lots and garages nearby.

Riversport Rapids will be hosting the US Olympic Team Trials for the 2024 Paris games:

https://www.velocityokc.com/blog/ins...ack=super_blog

Would be cool if they would build an olympic village at the boathouse discrict where the surface lots are and after the olympics it could be converted into residential apartments.

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner.Arch View Post
    Would be cool if they would build an olympic village at the boathouse discrict where the surface lots are and after the olympics it could be converted into residential apartments.
    If only we could get an announcement lol

Thread Information