Widgets Magazine
Page 13 of 78 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171863 ... LastLast

Thread: Dallas

Default Re: Dallas

If it had anything to do with the urban environment of Dallas, they could stay in LA. Corporations move strictly due to taxes, incentives from the city and state, and cheap labor. I know a very good friend that is GC of a large corporation moving to Dallas from San Diego. It certainly doesn't have anything to do with anyone actually wanting to live in Dallas. They plan to lose a lot of the staff who refuse to move and restaff at 1/2 the cost.

Well yeah the taxes are what is causing most of these companies to move out of Cali I'd guess. I was being sarcastic in my post. Dallas is a great city and very walkable to my standards.

PluPlan, as you have found, Dallas has everything a person can need, but it doesn't compare to much of So Cal in many ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Motley View Post
    PluPlan, as you have found, Dallas has everything a person can need, but it doesn't compare to much of So Cal in many ways.
    I agree with that entirely. SoCal makes Dallas look like OKC compared to Dallas.

It's hard to nearly impossible to beat SoCal, weather, scenery, ect. Dallas is doesn't have that, but atleast we make it up in ways where it isn't so bad here. Other wise 7.5 million people wouldn't be calling DFW home.

Btw I was in San Diego last month and loved it!

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Well yeah the taxes are what is causing most of these companies to move out of Cali I'd guess. I was being sarcastic in my post. Dallas is a great city and very walkable to my standards.

So much more than just taxes!

The wife and I went to Dallas this past weekend and I thought I would share a few things that we noticed:

We stayed at an Embassy Suites just north and east of 635 and the Dallas North Tollway. We got in on Saturday around 3 pm and noticed 635 was pretty well completed except for the turnpike underneath and a few areas where they had some finishing up to do. To be honest, I thought it would be a lot more messed up than it actually was.

I-35E, however, was a complete mess. I noticed how bad it was coming into town but started measuring how much of it was under construction on our way out of town on Sunday. To give you an idea, 635 intersects I-35 at mile marker 441. There was almost constant construction until mile marker 461 (20 miles for you math nerds) and still some after that. And I am not talking about redoing the shoulder or restriping. I am talking narrowing from three to two lanes, moving traffic to the other side of the highway, completely redirecting traffic so a new bridge can be built kind of stuff. Now, that being said, I didn’t really have to slow down much below 50 the entire time, but I can’t imagine how long it will take to complete I-35 and they will probably have to get started again on it after they finish, kind of like the Golden Gate Bridge.

I will say, one thing I really like about Dallas, although I don’t get to enjoy it enough, they have sidewalks everywhere. Even the side streets where there is an old apartment complex behind an office complex, there was a sidewalk. I saw sidewalks on the highway service roads. As much as people talk about Northpark Mall and how great it is (I will say it has great shopping) it has to be one of the ugliest malls I have ever seen. It is so plain and boring that if it wasn’t near University and Highland Park, it would be more like Crossroads.

We have found very little reason to go to Dallas anymore other than the fact that we just want to get out of town and we know where a lot of things are around there. When we were first married eight years ago, I feel like we took a day trip at least once every two months. Now, we are likely to only go there two or three times a year, at most. Once OKC gets a Kate Spade, Crate & Barrel and a Tory Burch, we might only go down if flights are substantially cheaper.

10. Default Re: Dallas

When posting do you ever ask yourself if you are legitimately trying to add to a discussion, or if you are simply trolling? If you ask yourself this question honestly and the answer is "trolling", you always have the option to not hit the post button. Just a thought.

Does anyone know if the state of Texas has a no texting while driving law? When we went down a few weekends ago, the majority of the slow downs on the highways was due to people looking at their phones.

Blog Entries

Pretty sure they do have a no texting law.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I was told no texting in School zones only, I'm not sure on this though.

Blog Entries

Just got back from 5 days in Dallas. You can have it.

Blog Entries

I strand corrected. They have a distracted driving law. This year, the law specific on texting didn't pass for the second or third time. Republican governor and legislature don't want to abridge someone's right to kill you.

Nm

FYI: A couple tweets to address the Texas-doesn't-have-awful-traffic-claim:

https://twitter.com/walkabledfw/stat...05659627446272

https://twitter.com/walkabledfw/stat...05808722333696

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    FYI: A couple tweets to address the Texas-doesn't-have-awful-traffic-claim:
    Nobody has said Dallas doesn't have bad traffic. What myself as well as a few others have said is that for a metro of 6 million people traffic flows pretty smoothly and that is true. Dallas traffic is NOT as bad as most other metro areas its size. It is worse than OKC however. That should be expected as traffic kind of comes with the territory when living in a large city.

I'm disputing that it flows... Because it constantly backs up all over the metro (see above tweets).

21. Default Re: Dallas

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Nobody has said Dallas doesn't have bad traffic. What myself as well as a few others have said is that for a metro of 6 million people traffic flows pretty smoothly and that is true. Dallas traffic is NOT as bad as most other metro areas its size. It is worse than OKC however. That should be expected as traffic kind of comes with the territory when living in a large city.
    lol

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Guess you haven't been there in a few years....or decades.

Guess you haven't been there in a few years....or decades.
    Actually I go quite often, but it doesn't bother me. Dallas traffic is pretty on-par with Charlotte in a lot of places so its about the level I am used to. I accept traffic as being one of the things you deal with in a major city. It's a lot more navigable in Dallas than it is in Houston or Atlanta.

I'm not trying to start a mudslinging argument here, but doesn't Dallas' skyline seem a little underwhelming for a metro of that size?

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    I'm not trying to start a mudslinging argument here, but doesn't Dallas' skyline seem a little underwhelming for a metro of that size?
    I don't think so. Houston's skyline is a little taller but I think the two skylines are pretty comparable. While most of the time its a good indication, I don't think skyline is always truly representative of city size. There are some sizable cities that have skylines that leave much to be desired, such as Raleigh NC and San Antonio. Likewise, cities like Tulsa and Charlotte have nice skylines that make them appear as larger cities than they actually are.

Thread Information