Widgets Magazine
Page 13 of 29 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Quail Springs Mall

Default Re: Quail Springs Mall

Quail Springs will be demolished before it becomes a Crossroads.

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra View Post
    Malls are a thing of the past, literally if retailers haven't started an exit strategy yet, then they are doomed as a business, e commerce is they only way to survive.
    People are definitely using e commerce more and more, but I think brick and mortar stores will always have their niche. A lot of people simply like to touch, feel, try on clothing. You just can't do that online.

Upscale malls are doing okay. Just look at the Dallas mall scene. The ones that are struggling are more middle range malls, those trying to compete with discount retailers like Target, Kohls, and Wal-Mart.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I think there is too much money around the area for that to happen. Once the area gets really dense, maybe we'll some more progression. If Quail does go down, I'd bet it'd be torn down and replaced with a lifestyle center in a heartbeat. Very prime piece of land.
    I think the real problem with Quail is mismanagement. Look at all of the wealth in the immediate vicinity around the mall. There's no reason for management to not go more upscale with that mall.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    People are definitely using e commerce more and more, but I think brick and mortar stores will always have their niche. A lot of people simply like to touch, feel, try on clothing. You just can't do that online.

Upscale malls are doing okay. Just look at the Dallas mall scene. The ones that are struggling are more middle range malls, those trying to compete with discount retailers like Target, Kohls, and Wal-Mart.
    I think you're spot on.

Also, the discount malls (like OKC's Outlet Shoppes) do very well.

You don't want to be in the middle ground in any retail segment as you get destroyed by the discounters without having appeal to up-market types who are willing to pay more for a good experience and higher quality.

This is exactly what is happening in the grocery world as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post

And, despite the next-day or 2nd day shipping of Amazon or whomever, sometimes I just need to get something now to get a project done, and that means a trip to Lowe's or WM or whomever just has it so I can get on with my day and not track a package for 24-48-72 hours. Just like there will always be people who need/prefer a physical book over an e-reader, there will always be brick-and-mortar stores. Absolutes about their demise are just as extreme as suggesting they'll return to their former position in the economy. Reality is in the middle.

It's got to be either high end, or very unique/special to get me to go to the mall. I've been wondering why there are still gamestops malls, for example. Now that there are so many location where I can just pull up and walk in, rather than navigating a mall, I'd never go to a mall for a gamestop (I mean, there's one right by both Quail Springs and Penn Square). But things like Apple Store, Microsoft Store, Lego Shop, Disney Store, some of the specialty clothing shops, etc. And right now, Quail Springs has next to nothing to entice me to shop there. And I live fairly close.

But hey, you can look at storm shelters.

I can't say that I go to malls often, but that is always my destination when shopping for clothes. I would never buy clothes on line. I want to see and feel what I'm getting first. I also go when doing something like Christmas shopping when I don't know what I'm looking for but want to browse to get ideas. Doing something like that on line is pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    I can't say that I go to malls often, but that is always my destination when shopping for clothes. I would never buy clothes on line. I want to see and feel what I'm getting first. I also go when doing something like Christmas shopping when I don't know what I'm looking for but want to browse to get ideas. Doing something like that on line is pointless.
    A large polo shirt, is a large polo shirt.... I'd rather go to the dentist than drive to the mall and buy a shirt, shorts, socks, underwear, etc.... And as far as Christmas ideas, all you have to do is type in Google "Christmas ideas for mom"

A large polo shirt, is a large polo shirt.... I'd rather go to the dentist than drive to the mall and buy a shirt, shorts, socks, underwear, etc.... And as far as Christmas ideas, all you have to do is type in Google "Christmas ideas for mom"
    LOL, like I go to the mall for a polo shirt. You just don't have a clue about me and what I look for when I buy. You can google all you want and I'll do what I like to get what I want. I want to see and touch most things before buying. That's especially true of things as personal as Christmas presents. If you don't, that's up to you.

I agree with lj, many items I can purchase online and have a reasonable expectation of what I will receive. But there are just as many items I want to see in person before buying, or I need it the same day and not 3-7 days later. Clothing and gifts are things I need to see in person. Furniture also. You just don't know how something really looks as often times the photos online differ from what you'll actually receive.

Brick and mortar is here to stay, but they will definitely face some challenges as Amazon continues to increase its presence.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    If Quail does go down, I'd bet it'd be torn down and replaced with a lifestyle center in a heartbeat. Very prime piece of land.
    I vote for something like this. I hate the idea of trying to shoehorn something into the QSM building that doesn't really fit or utilize the space well.

Baybrook Mall in Houston is a good example of what would make Quail Springs great. And, it's also a GGP mall.

Quote Originally Posted by poe View Post
    Baybrook Mall in Houston is a good example of what would make Quail Springs great. And, it's also a GGP mall.
    So it's basically what Penn Square was before it was enclosed.

Like hell a large polo is a large polo. I shop at 3 or 4 mainstream shops for polos and not any two from any of those stores fit the same.

Quote Originally Posted by bradh View Post
    Like hell a large polo is a large polo. I shop at 3 or 4 mainstream shops for polos and not any two from any of those stores fit the same.
    Pfft. Go custom or go home.

Quote Originally Posted by Chadanth View Post
    bespoke polos? sign me up.

Quote Originally Posted by Chadanth View Post
    Man I need it, you have a rec that won't break the bank? There aren't a lot of 5'9" 200lb guys out there who wear 44 jackets. Large shirts look like they are from Baby Gap and XL's fit like mini skirts

They are remodeling and expanding one of the theaters at the AMC at Quail Springs; plans also show "Phase 1" which implies there will be more work done.

I suppose this isn't going to be one of the AMC's where I can select my seat ahead of time?

Based on the first drawing showing the interior of Auditorium #23, it looks like they are installing the same electric reclining, plush seating that they have over at Penn Square. If that's the case, it would not surprise me if they went through and did this auditorium by auditorium. If that's the case, they'll likely start with the big four (#1, #2, #23, #24) then work their way through the remaining ones. That theatre opened in '98 and though it's always been well maintained, the nearly 20 year-old auditorium seating could certainly use a refresh.

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    Based on the first drawing showing the interior of Auditorium #23, it looks like they are installing the same electric reclining, plush seating that they have over at Penn Square. If that's the case, it would not surprise me if they went through and did this auditorium by auditorium. If that's the case, they'll likely start with the big four (#1, #2, #23, #24) then work their way through the remaining ones. That theatre opened in '98 and though it's always been well maintained, the nearly 20 year-old auditorium seating could certainly use a refresh.
    I agree and, to touch on Thomas's specific question, I would presume if they're adding the recliner seats they're going to start reserving those seats as well.

In the construction docs, they do have a 'seat numbering plan' which tells you they will be doing assigned seating and moving this auditorium towards the Penn Square model.

And I think it's correct to assume that at least the 4 larger auditoriums will get the same treatment; and maybe beyond that.

They must of have read here that Warren is looking very nearby.

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    That theatre opened in '98 and though it's always been well maintained, the nearly 20 year-old auditorium seating could certainly use a refresh.
    Wow. Hard to believe that it's been almost 20 years.

It's kind of wild, isn't it? Honestly, the only reason I know is because I used to work there! It was my first job in 2001. I miss the old uniforms there... they issued white aviator shirts with epaulettes and black slacks (the color of the epaulettes that determined the employee's position). It fit the whole "spaceship" theme of that theater extremely well. But yeah... December 18, 1998 was opening day for that theater.

Thread Information