Widgets Magazine
Page 13 of 64 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171863 ... LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma City, In the Press

Default Re: Oklahoma City, In the Press

Not impressed with the coffee? I guess there are differences of opinion about almost every restaurant, but the first time I had a latte at Coffee Slingers, I thought I was in coffee nirvana. I like their coffee better than anywhere else I've ever had a cup of coffee. Except maybe Viet Nam.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Where is that?
    Evoke is downtown Edmond, but they don't roast their own. The three in the article do. Evoke is a very nice shop, though. My second favorite in Edmond behind All About Cha.

3. Default Re: Oklahoma City, In the Press

I don't know Jason Burton, but it is a shame he didn't list another roaster in OKC, PrimaCafe. They have been at it for years and supply a number of places, like Red Cup for instance. Native Roots sells their roasts alongside the delicious stuff from Elemental.

Looks like Edmond is again getting some love. Not OKC proper, but what's good for the metro is good for OKC.

10 Perfect Suburbs

5. Default Re: Oklahoma City, In the Press

Midwest City had something similar back a month or so.

http://www.okctalk.com/midwest-city-...ia-movoto.html

Can't remember if this had been posted before. OKC was ranked #8 for metros with the most economic momentum going into 2014.

The Metro Areas With the Most Economic Momentum

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    That's pretty astonishing to see OKC in the top 10 in terms of sheer numbers considering its size relative to some of those other cities. Always exciting to see data like that!

OKC came in as the #2 metro for high-paying working-class jobs.

Cities Creating the Most High-Paying Working-Class Jobs

Quote Originally Posted by PWitty View Post
    OKC came in as the #2 metro for high-paying working-class jobs.

Cities Creating the Most High-Paying Working-Class Jobs
    Obviously, Mayor Cornett favors the rich.

Shhhh... Don't mess with the deEdheads' narratives...

Forbes article, on how the secondary market for NBA ticket prices are halfway through the season. First three paragraphs of the article highlight OKC.

Oklahoma City Thunder Games Are The NBA's Most Expensive Ticket Right Now - Forbes

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    Forbes article, on how the secondary market for NBA ticket prices are halfway through the season. First three paragraphs of the article highlight OKC.

Oklahoma City Thunder Games Are The NBA's Most Expensive Ticket Right Now - Forbes
    So, back in the day when Clay Bennett et al bought the Sonics, the word on the Seattle forums was that OKC was a poor city (dustbowl was actually the kindest epithet) and would the Sonics move we would never be able to afford the tickets for a professional sports team. The team would lose buckets of money and soon leave.

As people who know me might have figured, I don't always trust what seems obvious. True, we did have a far lower average per capita income than Seattle. But we were buying Hornets tickets. What was the deal? So, I hauled out my calculator and good ole' Google (who is paying my son to live in San Francisco this summer, thank you Google!). I found that the average median household income in Seattle was about $20,000 a year higher than here. Ouch. So, I looked at the average price of a house in Seattle and found it was almost 4x what it is here. Then I found property tax info. Property taxes were very slightly higher than here, but if the average house was 4x as expensive, you were paying 4x as much property tax. Same for homeowner's insurance, although ours is probably slightly higher per house dollar spent here because of all our natural disasters. I figured groceries, gas, living expenses were probably not that different so primarily used housing expenses to do my calculations. When I was done, my numbers showed that the average family in Oklahoma City had more disposable income per year than the average family in Seattle by about 3 thousand dollars - which is probably about what season tickets in Loud City for a family of four cost.

Bottom line: The Forbes data doesn't surprise me. But, I'm pretty proud to see it in print. Parenthetically, the Sonics lost buckets of money in Seattle and did move.

A great article from The Edmond Sun about a couple projects including GE Research and Boeing

Industry giants represented at Oak Tree
    James Coburn
    The Edmond Sun
    Couple of key notes

EDMOND — Two corporate leaders discussed their company’s respective impact of business expansion on the local economy Thursday at the Edmond Chamber of Commerce Membership Luncheon.

Michael Ming serves as general manager of General Electric’s new Global Research Oil & Gas Technology Center to be constructed in Oklahoma City. He formerly served as Oklahoma’s Secretary of Energy under Gov. Mary Fallin.
    “That really spurred our growth. Now we’ve grown to about 1,800 people,” Goo said. “And about one-quarter of them chose to make their home in Edmond. We just love it here. The people are so friendly giving us a warm welcome.”
    The company is growing with exports to 15 other countries. Aerospace is a major economic force in the state of Oklahoma, Goo said. Aerospace generate about 6 percent of the state’s economy, he said. There are 120,000 high-quality aerospace jobs in the state of Oklahoma, Goo added.
    GE announced in April that Oklahoma City would be home to the company’s ninth global research center. GE will break ground in the spring on its $110 million GE Global Research Oil & Gas Technology Center that will open in 2015, Ming said. A five-story office building east of downtown Oklahoma City will wrap around the GE laboratory.
    Ming and Goo cited the cost of living and doing business as reasons for investing in Oklahoma. The business climate is friendly and their employees enjoy the quality of life.

The state offers an educated workforce in oil and gas and an effective transportation system, Ming said. Boeing was attracted to Oklahoma’s jobs and incentives programs, Goo said.
    - Read much more here: Industry giants represented at Oak Tree » Local News » The Edmond Sun

Seeing as how we have no rail, out-of-state employers really seem to like our highway system which only means that highways do benefit in amazing ways and make our city look attractive to big corporations. The best example of this is the 635 project in Dallas to widen the highway to nearly 22 lanes at some points and it has already seen a 3 billion dollar investment and is looking at 10+ billion dollars in the coming years. Highway are excellent assets to a city and widening them, as well as roads such as Lindsey St., does solve most traffic problems and opens up new opportunities.

This article makes the case for young creative types to leave big cities for mid-sized ones. 2 or 3 people from OKC are interviewed in it. Good pub.

http://m.policymic.com/articles/8452...ampaign=social

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    This article makes the case for young creative types to leave big cities for mid-sized ones. 2 or 3 people from OKC are interviewed in it. Good pub.

Why Young Creatives Should Really Consider Moving To A Smaller City - PolicyMic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Good article. Fun to read, too. Thanks for the info.
    Made me wonder about why OKC people. What makes them stand out to the author? Do you think Okies band together in NYC like expats? Does the author have a connection to one of them and by default had a connection to more? Do Okies (or at least creative ones) stand out in NYC as individuals?
    Interesting article.

The announcement on the US airways website regarding their new CLT-OKC/TUL service.

US Airways | New service from Charlotte to Oklahoma City and Tulsa

I haven't seen that shot of downtown before. Was during the very beginning stages of Devon's construction. I think it's a great shot, even if it's outdated -- CRANES!

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    The announcement on the US airways website regarding their new CLT-OKC/TUL service.

US Airways | New service from Charlotte to Oklahoma City and Tulsa

I haven't seen that shot of downtown before. Was during the very beginning stages of Devon's construction. I think it's a great shot, even if it's outdated -- CRANES!
    BChris will, no doubt, be ecstatic.

Looks like the Myriad Gardens prank made the huffington post

AOL.com Article - Green dye prank may cost park thousands to clean up

From New Geography:

TEXAS & OKLAHOMA DOMINATE METROPOLITAN ECONOMIC GROWTH

Texas metropolitan areas continue to dominate economic growth, according to the latest Metro Monitor, produced by the Brookings Institution. The four top metropolitan areas in overall economic growth through the recession and "recovery" (our parentheses) have been:

1. Austin

2. Houston

3. Dallas-Fort Worth

4. San Antonio

Oklahoma City took the 5th position. Oklahoma City, located 200 miles north of Dallas-Fort Worth may be experiencing some "overspill" economic growth from nearby Texas.

- Texas & Oklahoma Dominate Metropolitan Economic Growth | Newgeography.com

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    From New Geography:
    Well, OKC certainly benefits from its location but saying we are experiencing "overspill" economic growth is a little silly. We have had plenty of economic growth from our own dynamics without "overspill".

Thread Information