Widgets Magazine
Page 13 of 33 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Devon Construction Cam

Default Re: Devon Tower Construction Cam!

the top floor of the garage is getting a waterproof top before the concret is poored

Quote Originally Posted by hipsterdoofus View Post
    What "concret" are they "pooring"? The slabs are already in place.
    I should have thought about that more, it makes sense that the wearing slab will be poured on top of the sheet membrane waterproofing.

In precast concrete garages you can have topped or un-topped or even pretopped precast structural concrete units, such as a double T or a hollow core components. It is common for a wearing slab to be placed to protect the structural members from damage or the "wear" that occurs from cars and thier acids and oils etc from finding their way into the concrete and effecting the reinforcing in a negative manner. Again have not seen the plans to know what system they are using. A section detail would do nicely but anyhow... Thanks Anonymous for the jolt to my memory!

Is the Oklahoma Tower a re-named Bldg.?

So how close are they to be done with the basics of the parking garage? The construction cam is a little too far to the left to tell.

From what i have heard, they will be opening the first 4 floors of the garage up the middle of next month. And as of the today they will be working around the clock, they want to get the base of the tower started by feb 10.

The garage is nearly up to 8 floors all the way north. They are starting to put in the posts for floors 9 and 10 as we speak. Also, they already put some side panels on the north side - I guess because they have limited access to the alley behind the Library.

Quote Originally Posted by jmarkross View Post
    Is the Oklahoma Tower a re-named Bldg.?
    No. It opened somewhere around 1981-82, with that name.

Good idea.Front row seats

Quote Originally Posted by OKC@heart View Post
    I should have thought about that more, it makes sense that the wearing slab will be poured on top of the sheet membrane waterproofing.

In precast concrete garages you can have topped or un-topped or even pretopped precast structural concrete units, such as a double T or a hollow core components. It is common for a wearing slab to be placed to protect the structural members from damage or the "wear" that occurs from cars and thier acids and oils etc from finding their way into the concrete and effecting the reinforcing in a negative manner. Again have not seen the plans to know what system they are using. A section detail would do nicely but anyhow... Thanks Anonymous for the jolt to my memory!
    It has a gravel top to it. Don't know if that helps you any..

MadMonk Guest

Today I was walking by as one of those trucks was backing in with a load of those slabs. It looks like they are only a couple inches thick! Of course, they have supporting ribs that are much thicker,but I was surprised at how thin the surface was.

MadMonk, I miss your time lapse videos!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonk View Post
    Today I was walking by as one of those trucks was backing in with a load of those slabs. It looks like they are only a couple inches thick! Of course, they have supporting ribs that are much thicker,but I was surprised at how thin the surface was.
    Yeah they are often two or three inches. PCI has a construction manual that shows the components and design strategies that are often employed when building a precast concrete parking structure.

Here is the link to more than you ever probably wanted to know...

http://www.pci.org/pdf/publications/...MNL-129-98.pdf

Wow! That's some dense fog this Tuesday morning. I can't even see the image ;-)

Thank You for moving the CAM!!!! We now will be able to focus on what is transpiring about the base of the tower and its piers as it becomes more formally defined by the foundation as work progresses! That made my day!

Question Re: Devon Tower Construction Cam!

I'm confused! I thought the main tower was going to be in front of the west garage ( ten story garage). Is it being constructed where the cam is aimed now?

Yep, that big circle is where it is going to be. Look at the drawings on the Devon Construction thread to get a feel where the parking garage is compared to the tower.

Here's a great drawing of the site:

Smile Re: Devon Tower Construction Cam!

Thanks for the drawing. That really helps me to understand what's taking place with the construction. Thanks again!

Last night they poured a portion of the wearing slab on the top level of the parking garage. They have been doing the same on the levels below previously. It would be cool to see the west side of the site if anyone happens to be over that way I know that someone had mentioned that they were now expanding the garage westward. The pace has really begun to accellerate as the crews are now there around the clock not just until 11:00PM as they were for quite a while. I have regularly seen them there after 1:00AM and not just a skeleton crew, I counted 12 guys on the roof of the garage last night when they were pouring the wearing slab and that is all I could see but there was at least the two main drilling rigs running and a concrete pumper and some guys in the bobcats running around so the site was humming!

Quote Originally Posted by OKC@heart View Post
    Last night they poured a portion of the wearing slab on the top level of the parking garage. They have been doing the same on the levels below previously. It would be cool to see the west side of the site if anyone happens to be over that way I know that someone had mentioned that they were now expanding the garage westward.
    I can't really tell that they are doing much with westward expansion of the garage - certainly nothing substantial that you would notice, although they may be doing some stuff around the corner that I can't see.

I usually get into office between 4:30 and 5 AM and they are there working. The area is lit up and the workers are buzzing. I love sipping that first cup of coffee with lights out so I can see the action.

The West side of the garage is going to be a add on to the garage now. They are expanding the garage pretty much out to Hudson. 10 storys as well.. It is just a open pit right now. They are boring still and getting the West side of the garage wall ready to add on.

Quote Originally Posted by hipsterdoofus View Post
    I can't really tell that they are doing much with westward expansion of the garage - certainly nothing substantial that you would notice, although they may be doing some stuff around the corner that I can't see.
    They are still boring and getting ready for the expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
    The West side of the garage is going to be a add on to the garage now. They are expanding the garage pretty much out to Hudson. 10 storys as well.. It is just a open pit right now. They are boring still and getting the West side of the garage wall ready to add on.
    Hi Anonymous, thanks for the update. Are you working on this project? You sound like you have at least worked construction before. Again thanks!

Are they still working at 12:30?!?!

Thread Information