Widgets Magazine
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Big retailer is eyeing OKC & Tulsa

Default Re: Big retailer is eyeing OKC & Tulsa

Quote Originally Posted by ThomPaine View Post
    I don't know. I used to think it was the liquor laws that kept out Whole Foods too, but again, there are eight of them in PA. I spent a year up there, and talked to a lot of folks who all hated it, but they have some great chains - Wegmans, Giant, Whole Foods, Costco, etc., that manage to operate just fine with the goofy laws.

As a bonus, I went into a Walmart only one time the whole year.
    The reason we have a whole foods is because Chesepeake paid alot of money for them to come. Now that whole foods is here they realize that coming to OKC was a good move they are now planning to build at least two more stores in the area. I said Edmond will get one then the other store will be either Moore or Norman for the other store.

Quote Originally Posted by bhawes View Post
    The reason we have a whole foods is because Chesepeake paid alot of money for them to come. Now that whole foods is here they realize that coming to OKC was a good move they are now planning to build at least two more stores in the area. I said Edmond will get one then the other store will be either Moore or Norman for the other store.
    I have heard this for a while. Do you know when they are going to announce additional locations?

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    I have heard this for a while. Do you know when they are going to announce additional locations?
    Not sure when but hopefully sometime before 2014 is over with. Sicnce Chesepeake paid them alot of money to come here. They made be waiting to see if Oklahoma with offer any incentives to build the next two locations. Tulsa will have a second store by end of year. So if Tulsa can have two Oklahoma City area should have three.

Oklahoma City and Portland have the exact same populations. Portland has four Whole foods and that not counting the surrounding citys.

Oklahoma City and Portland have the exact same populations. Portland has four Whole foods and that not counting the surrounding citys.
    I betcha Portland, or Oregon for that matter, doesn't have a stupid law saying liquors can not be sold in grocers either.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    I betcha Portland, or Oregon for that matter, doesn't have a stupid law saying liquors can not be sold in grocers either.
    Not sure but it a blue instead of red state.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    You would be surprised. The State of Oregon is one of 17 states that run their own liquor monopoly.

Liquor privatization battle brewing in Oregon | OregonLive.com

I think it is really coming down to two things. 1) Too many Walmarts and 2) A high percentage of people who are happy with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    You would be surprised. The State of Oregon is one of 17 states that run their own liquor monopoly.

Liquor privatization battle brewing in Oregon | OregonLive.com

I think it is really coming down to two things. 1) Too many Walmarts and 2) A high percentage of people who are happy with that.
    Maybe it has to do with cost of living? Portland's cost of living is 15.7% higher than the average vs. OKC's 14% lower than the average. Stores like that go where people can afford their brands.

But people with a lower cost of living may have more disposable income, so that's not logical. Except that I think we've had people in the know who have posted that retailers tend to look at average annual income statistics and don't factor in the fact that cities with lower average income may actually have more disposable income than cities with a higher average income because of the lower cost of living. Not so smart, as national chains that have come to Oklahoma have found. For instance, I know that the Anthropologie here and the one in Tulsa consistently outperform stores in some states with much higher annual income. For the fun of it, I may see how we compare with Portland stores to prove that point.

Portland is waaaaay more liberal, many more college educated and has a lot more income per capita thank OKC. Portland is also a foodie place and they really value locally sourced foods. Stores chains like Costco, Trader Joes, Whole Foods, and other upscale stores live for those type of demographics. Despite this, I truly believe these stores would be successful here in OKC. Does anybody have any info on how the DFW Costcos and Trader Joes are doing? I lived close to Portland and I just don't see much comparison to OKC.

I had no idea that Cheseapeake paid Whole Foods to come out here. That's interesting.

^^^ I agree. Portland is so culturally different from OKC its almost like another country. I had a few college friends who moved there after graduation.

When I said that Portland had four Whole Foods they also have at least two more in the surrounding cities. I think OKC should have at least three since the Tulsa area will soon have two.

When I said that Portland had four Whole Foods they also have at least two more in the surrounding cities. I think OKC should have at least three since the Tulsa area will soon have two.
    I think that is the (eventual) plan, from what I've heard. The existing one in north OKC plus one in Edmond and one in Norman. The ones in Tulsa are also clustered near the highest incomes in the metro (midtown and south Tulsa/Bixby).

I was in Costco for the 1st time yesterday and I liked it. Don't know if it was the day before Labor Day and they are closed today but the place was packed. Sam's Club has a better selection on some things but all in all I liked it.

Costco and Sams look very similar but are quite different in several important ways.

First of all, Costco treats it's employees very well and it shows every time you shop there. Great, friendly people and fantastic customer service.

Also, they have a ton of things they carry under their private label, Kirkland. Everything from meat to liquor to clothing. And it's all excellent at amazing prices.

And finally, they do an incredible job of stocking only one or two items in each category (one type of spaghetti sauce, a couple types of laundry detergent) and then offering amazing values. So in a lot of respects they make shopping super simple. Plus, I've learned to completely trust their choices.

I belong to Sams Club here because they had an arbor I wanted and it was cheaper just to buy a membership. But I went in once and pretty much hated it. I go into Costco about every two weeks and always love the experience.

I guess the ones in Texas and Colorado are stocked differently because the ones here 10-12 types of laundry soap and other items just like Sam's. Costco does have some oddball hours outside of Christmas season like closing early on Saturdays and are closed on most holidays. The Costco stores here have no liquor or wine, just 3.2 beer, the ones in Austin had beer/wine in the store and separate liquor store adjacent. The Sam's stores here have have 3.2 beer in the store and adjacent liquor stores.

We shop in both regularly, some items we buy are available in one but not the other (especially some of my wife's baking supplies) so we typically alternate between the two. Both stock regionally, items we could find in the stores in Austin are not available here and vice versa. Sam's in Austin had Griffin's products (syrup, jellies, etc.) and Topo Chico water but not here in Colorado, I could find Yoshida's marinade at Costco here but not in Austin.

Not sure but it a blue instead of red state.
    Of the four states left that have liquor laws similar to Oklahoma's, two are red states and two are blue states. The problem in Oklahoma is its a monumental task to get it changed. If the legislature could simply pass a law and have it signed by the governor it would have probably happened by now. Getting the state constitution amended 16 times is a bit more difficult.

Costco is a few levels above Sams. Costco offers excellent customer service and also has higher quality stock. They may not have everything, but the things they do have are very high quality and are very good prices. Their food is much higher quality than Sams. I love Costco.

...Getting the state constitution amended 16 times is a bit more difficult.
    Amending the constitution isn't what's tough. Amending it in a proper manner instead of in some fashion that amounts to knee jerk feel good pile of pablum to one's political base, without any significant regard to doing it properly ... that's what seems to trip up folks.

Quote Originally Posted by zachj7 View Post
    Costco is a few levels above Sams. Costco offers excellent customer service and also has higher quality stock. They may not have everything, but the things they do have are very high quality and are very good prices. Their food is much higher quality than Sams. I love Costco.
    The house brands of Costco do seem to be a bit better than the Sam's house brands on many items but when it comes to national brands they both have many of the very same products. We haven't found a huge differences between the two for what we buy regularly and we shop at both often.

From a friend with homeland, the rumor there is that a Reasors is replacing the homeland thats about to close on SantaFe and 2nd in Edmond.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    From a friend with homeland, the rumor there is that a Reasors is replacing the homeland thats about to close on SantaFe and 2nd in Edmond.
    That will be nine. Lets get real here, that whole shopping center needs to be remodeled and more landscaping and trees added to it. It would be nice to see Homeland step up their game to get a little nicer than they are now and see a Reasors move near Spring Creek Plaze. I hate NIMBYS like a sickness. Just a bunch of jack heads with nothing to do but bitch about some of the stupidest things imaginable!

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    That will be nine. Lets get real here, that whole shopping center needs to be remodeled and more landscaping and trees added to it. It would be nice to see Homeland step up their game to get a little nicer than they are now and see a Reasors move near Spring Creek Plaze. I hate NIMBYS like a sickness. Just a bunch of jack heads with nothing to do but bitch about some of the stupidest things imaginable!
    What do nimby's have to do with that homeland going out of business and Reasors being lined up as the next tenant of that space?

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    What do nimby's have to do with that homeland going out of business and Reasors being lined up as the next tenant of that space?
    From what I know-and take that with a grain of salt-, NIMBYS was/is protesting a Reasors being built in the Spring Creek development near Pelican Bay and it being 24hrs. They claim it will increase traffic and more noise and crime will come with it. Well, I say NO $#*$!!!!!! How is a city going to grow without increased noise and traffic???? It's like these people want either keep the city from growing or they want to control anything and everything; or maybe both.

All I really know is, a Reasors would be great in the Spring Creek and Homeland stepping up their game and remodeling their store and someone redoing the current shopping center where they are at would be best in this situation. I would love to see Reasors take this spot AND build a new store in Spring Creek, I just highly doubt Reasors would build two locations in Edmond, but who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    From what I know-and take that with a grain of salt-, NIMBYS was/is protesting a Reasors being built in the Spring Creek development near Pelican Bay and it being 24hrs. They claim it will increase traffic and more noise and crime will come with it. Well, I say NO $#*$!!!!!! How is a city going to grow without increased noise and traffic???? It's like these people want either keep the city from growing or they want to control anything and everything; or maybe both.

All I really know is, a Reasors would be great in the Spring Creek and Homeland stepping up their game and remodeling their store and someone redoing the current shopping center where they are at would be best in this situation. I would love to see Reasors take this spot AND build a new store in Spring Creek, I just highly doubt Reasors would build two locations in Edmond, but who knows.
    There's so much history there, and the issue is much more complicated than this. Many folks have/built homes there, when it was residential, and there was a house there. I wouldn't be happy if someone decided to put a Wal-Mart behind my house, and would certainly fight it was well. I know I chose my current neighborhood (as it was being built) partly because the zoning around the neighborhood (it's all residential and office). And I try to stay informed by any future developments and changes. Light and noise pollution is a thing, and it does matter to folks. Their concerns are no less valid than your desire for a flavor of the week new grocery store. In fact I'd say the owner of land around the site has more of an investment and right to have an opinion that someone who doesn't have a dog in the fight. It's not like there aren't already plenty of available sites/venues for a shop, as you point out. Edmond has a large amount of empty retail space, and there are some developments that have stayed empty for many years. Maybe some of those should get filled first?

Thread Information