Widgets Magazine
Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Uber coming to OKC

1. Default Re: Uber coming to OKC

Whitmire’s alleged assault is made worse because he shouldn’t have been driving for Uber at all. As first reported by PandoDaily, Whitmire has a felony conviction from 2009 for selling marijuana, a felony charge from 2012 for selling cocaine and is currently on probation for a battery charge. Uber has always said it had a “zero-tolerance” policy for alcohol and drug-related offenses, though the definition of that policy has changed over time. Uber’s most recent background check criteria forbid drivers from having, among other things, drug-related charges or felony convictions within the last seven years, both of which Whitmire has.

Whitmire was deactivated from the system in December and “we will defer to the criminal justic system to take matters from here,” Uber spokesman Lane Kasselman said in an e-mail. “This driver had a clean background check from Hirease.” Hirease could not immediately be reached for comment.
    Sounds like Uber also needs to have a bit better management system for background checks?

Default Re: Uber coming to OKC

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    Sounds like Uber also needs to have a bit better management system for background checks?
    You obviously seem to have something against Uber. I guess you missed my link from a story that happened recently about a cabbie assaulting a rider, do they need a better system for background checks? Uber or cabbie, or hell, the city bus, all cases you are getting into a car driven by a stranger. Bad things could happen anywhere. Its not limited to Uber. Either way, this okc case will be played out in court. This should have no bearing on whether uber is worse or more unsafe than cabs.

Santa Cruz taxi driver accused of sexually assaulting customer - Santa Cruz Sentinel

Both Lyft and Uber are challenging the City of Austin on operating there.

Austin Business Journal - Uber follows Lyft's lead, launches in Austin despite official ban

4. Default Re: Uber coming to OKC

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    You obviously seem to have something against Uber. I guess you missed my link from a story that happened recently about a cabbie assaulting a rider, do they need a better system for background checks? Uber or cabbie, or hell, the city bus, all cases you are getting into a car driven by a stranger. Bad things could happen anywhere. Its not limited to Uber. Either way, this okc case will be played out in court. This should have no bearing on whether uber is worse or more unsafe than cabs.

Santa Cruz taxi driver accused of sexually assaulting customer - Santa Cruz Sentinel
    No I think all services that involve driving passengers need to have background checks especially cabs and buses. I know at my business if you drive a vehicle you get frequent drug tests. I think it would be nice if Uber would set up a base of operations in each city they serve to manage these things. A place to check out cars and run a background check. Seems like it would be simple and cut down on incidents

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    Both Lyft and Uber are challenging the City of Austin on operating there.

Austin Business Journal - Uber follows Lyft's lead, launches in Austin despite official ban
    Linked from that article:

On May 31, a city-run sting near the downtown Four Seasons Hotel impounded two Lyft drivers' cars and cited them for operating without a valid chauffeur permits. Another driver was cited on May 29, according to a spokeswoman for the city. The move comes after a continuing escalation following the transportation networking company's announcement that it would begin service on May 29.

No I think all services that involve driving passengers need to have background checks especially cabs and buses. I know at my business if you drive a vehicle you get frequent drug tests. I think it would be nice if Uber would set up a base of operations in each city they serve to manage these things. A place to check out cars and run a background check. Seems like it would be simple and cut down on incidents
    They do require a detailed background check and your car has to be inspected on a regular basis.

7. Default Re: Uber coming to OKC

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    They do require a detailed background check and your car has to be inspected on a regular basis.
    I thought it was just the driver took pictures of the car and sent it in? Is there another inspection I did not know about?

No intended to be rude but I read that the inspections were just a few photos sent in.

I know Lyft has a mentor like service where the drivers have a passenger that gives them a sort of driving test while checking out the car. Seems like a good step by Lyft

I thought it was just the driver took pictures of the car and sent it in? Is there another inspection I did not know about?

No intended to be rude but I read that the inspections were just a few photos sent in.

I know Lyft has a mentor like service where the drivers have a passenger that gives them a sort of driving test while checking out the car. Seems like a good step by Lyft
    Yes, there is another inspection process by an independent company.

9. Default Re: Uber coming to OKC

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Yes, there is another inspection process by an independent company.
    Thanks. I couldn't find any info on it on their site.

^

Their exact process varies by city.

Thanks. I couldn't find any info on it on their site.
    You don't get to see it unless you sign-up to be a driver, just like Devon doesn't disclose their contractor on-boarding process on their web site.

One isolated case of 2 drunk passengers getting unruly resulting in a punch thrown isnt something that warrants some onerous regulations. The beauty of Uber and Lyft is that it is self regulated, just like eBay. If you are a bad driver or passenger, you wont get service. I think this is a business model that customers like and the city/state need to get with the times, even if that involves relaxing regulations.

Quote Originally Posted by Sid Burgess View Post
    It's actually better than that. They'll just straight up cut you out if you don't get good reviews or have issues like this. How many cab drivers get fired for arguing with me about not having cash?
    Or are just smelly, scary, terrible drivers in shoddy old cars sometimes without seat belts?

Uber is so much better than traditional taxis it's almost laughable, yet the press can't seem to grasp this important perspective.

For all those defending traditional journalists -- and I'm usually one of them -- they are generally choosing to run some sensationalized isolated incidents rather than do any really, fair reporting. This is increasingly the case as they struggle for an audience; the irony is they are basically eroding the one real purpose they still serve.

14. Default Re: Uber coming to OKC

Used uber plenty last weekend and there was only one thing that bugged me. For being a technology company, I wish they would give you options when you request a ride. One would be a "I don't know my destination yet" and One would be to let you input you destination when booking the ride so you don't have to be backseat driver the whole ride. We were at edna's and told the man just go to 150th and western and ill take you from there. His response, "where's western?" SMH. All of them had smart phones but wouldn't use them for directions. Seems like it would be a little more efficient or have a portable navigation to input it in when you get in the car. Other than that I think its awesome and have had good rates and drivers.

15. Default Re: Uber coming to OKC

^^^^^^^^^

Yeah, I agree with that comment. I'll admit that I probably do know the downtown area better than most people due to years spent working/living down here, but I have had to give directions to most drivers who seem to often be lost/befuddled downtown. I know for a fact I wouldn't have to give directions to a cabbie. I guess there is a tradeoff.

The obvious difference is that all Uber drivers are virtually brand new.

But I agree about the technology part... From the driver's perspective it could be a lot better and I'm sure they are working on that.

Where's Western?

Sheesh. That's just sad if you are wanting money to cart folk from A to B.

18. Default Re: Uber coming to OKC

I'll echo the fact that I have had to give drivers directions a few different times. They are given a phone that is equipped with navigation, but typically they have not used it. Regardless, I will use Uber/Lyft over a taxi 10/10 times.

^

Uber makes drivers carry an iPhone that they issue. It does have Google Maps but you can't add anything else. Plus, it's hard to use Google Maps while also running the Uber app on that phone.

So, I actually use my other phone for navigation because the Uber phone doesn't make or receive calls; you have to use your own phone for that.

20. Default Re: Uber coming to OKC

If I were an Uber driver I would surely invest in a GPS for my car (in my case I already have one for my motorcycle and would repurpose it). Especially for longer drives ask for a destination address or intersection, plug it in and all of this conversation goes away. Not that I would need it 99% of the time in OKC as I am pretty intimately acquainted with nearly every part of the city to the point where I probably SHOULD be an Uber or cab driver. Give me an intersection to drive to just about anywhere in the metro and I'll get you there.

That said, it wouldn't fix the problem of drivers not seven knowing downtown cross streets or P180 detours during short trips. A GPS wouldn't be much help there. I've especially been surprised at how many local Uber drivers are recent transplants to OKC.

As a Uber driver you are supposed to ask, "Do you have a preferred route or would you like me to to use navigation?"

Even when someone provides a preferred route, I always said, "I'm going to also plug it into my GPS just as a backup."

I've had plenty of cab drivers who are pretty clueless as well. It's hard to even communicate with many of them here in L.A.

22. Default Re: Uber coming to OKC

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    I've especially been surprised at how many local Uber drivers are recent transplants to OKC.
    I had one that was a recent transplant from Detroit and also drives for Kings Limo. Told me some cool stories about driving Sam Presti around.

I plug everything into my car's GPS. I can't imagine trying to do Uber without it. When the ride is accepted it list the persons location and show their location on a map (but the map is zoomed to a scale that shows both me and the rider - and that can cover a lot of area in suburbia. However, it does give me a general direction so I can start driving. My car's GPS is voice activated so while I am driving I just tell it the address the rider put in and it plots the course. If there is one thing I could change though it would be if the address corresponds to a business that it tell me the business name as well. It is much easier to find The Tilted Kilt than it is 9720 Deer Lake Ct because The Tilted Kilt has a 60 sq ft sign right next to the street that says Titled Kilt, but has an address in 3 inch numbers above their door 60 feet from the street.

I'm glad Colorado passed this law and I hope it becomes a national model. For what its worth, I already had to do all those step here in Florida.

Thread Information