Widgets Magazine
Page 13 of 34 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: IKEA

1. Default re: IKEA coming to OKC?

Except it's the last place anywhere in town they would go. Not to mention they don't build in malls, they are a free-standing building. And Crossroads is dead. Oh yeah, and no one would believe it.

Default re: IKEA coming to OKC?

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Did you contact the guy in the call center making $7 an hour or someone with authority?
    Kill the messenger much?

Same the discussion I talk with my wife and she also cast their vote for the IKEA. Well There is nothing wring in it if she want because Its also trusted..Its very true idea about the kitchen furniture. Keep it up buddy..

4. Default re: IKEA coming to OKC?

It's official - no IKEA in OKC in the near future. IKEA's blog says no new stores in 2013.

From the IKEA website: 2013 IKEA openings - none.

"Question #12. What new IKEA store openings are scheduled?
    No scheduled openings for 2013.

Then....the next new IKEA in the midwest will be built in Kansas City in 2014. Ground breaks for KC store in spring of 2014.

Kansas City Store location article.

I think, as far as IKEA was concerned, OKC was too close to their Dallas location.

Quote Originally Posted by theilluminatedfirefly View Post
    It's official - no IKEA in OKC in the near future. IKEA's blog says no new stores in 2013.

From the IKEA website: 2013 IKEA openings - none.

"Question #12. What new IKEA store openings are scheduled?
    No scheduled openings for 2013.

Then....the next new IKEA in the midwest will be built in Kansas City in 2014. Ground breaks for KC store in spring of 2014.

Kansas City Store location article.

I think, as far as IKEA was concerned, OKC was too close to their Dallas location.
    This is not surprising news.

And us not getting one has less to do with proximity to Dallas and more to do with the fact that we dont have the population numbers.

There probably needs to be a question mark in the title of this thread. While most of us know there's not going to be an exciting new announcement, casual passersby might be fooled, and that's how rumors get started.

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    There probably needs to be a question mark in the title of this thread. While most of us know there's not going to be an exciting new announcement, casual passersby might be fooled, and that's how rumors get started.
    Good point. I also suggest there be a question mark in the title.

On the topic of IKEA, I've never been -- although I have looked through some of their magazines -- but my uncle goes to the one in Dallas (Frisco) to buy a lot of furniture and accessories and he says it's a very nice store. I've also heard many good things about it from friends and family that are currently living or have previously lived in an IKEA market (Atlanta, Portland, Chicago, etc.). I am making a trip in the next week or so to buy furniture and am excited about it from the things I've heard and seen about it.

8. Default re: IKEA coming to OKC?

Population was a factor, I'm sure, but several of the articles I read also mentioned there is no IKEA location between Dallas and Chicago. IKEA wanted a centralized location that complemented their shipping and distribution network.
    Last edited by theilluminatedfirefly; 10-08-2012 at 02:09 PM. Reason: sp

9. Default re: IKEA coming to OKC?

And like any good company, the sales department can drill your zip code out of its receipts to find out if a good number of folks from the area go down there....i'm guessing not enough of us are.

Honestly, I've been in the Houston store and it was okay. One of the kids bought a bed from them, and I guess the advantage is being able to buy furniture in kit form and assemble it when you get home.

I personally would not drive to DFW to shop there.

IKEA is not a store that I would covet at all. Several in the DC area. Not impressed with their offerings at all. No great loss

I drive to IKEA Dallas at least twice per year. No one can rival the quality of their design AND affordability. Many would argue that affordability is a characteristic of good design. We shouldn't expect to see their store opening in 2013 if they haven't purchased land or begun construction to date. The rumor I heard was that they are acquiring land on Memorial Road. If that is true, I wouldn't expect an opening for another 5 years or so.

13. Default re: IKEA coming to OKC?

Ikea is furniture in a box, no question. It's crappy particle board stuff. But there is also a lot more thought put into it than anything you'll find at walmart. If you've ever been to a store, you'll see how much more they have to offer. Everything from appliances, counters, cabinets, bookshelves, bedding, kitchenware, toys, etc. It's all at a good price as well.

No it's not some fantastical amazing place or anything, but especially for kids, the stuff is great. You dont have to spend an arm and a leg on a bookcase that some kid is going to tear up in a few years.

We used to occasionally go to the store in Houston when we lived there. It's fun for what it is. It's not some place I would go to shop for furniture for my house, but it's great for college aged/young adults. We bought 2 computer desks for our kids at their store in Frisco. They've served us well and even though the kids have now gone, we still have the desks. We also bought a TV cabinet at the store in Austin for one of sons apartments. It works great of a college kid. I do like some of their housewares etc. but they aren't any better than what you can find at Target.

I cannot imagine them building one here until the metro grows substantially .

15. Default re: IKEA coming to OKC?

I really like the store, for what it is. Great for teens, college students, renters, small spaces or for people who like to completely revamp their home's look every couple of years. My parents rent a nice place in Austin, but it has very little storage - so they bought several storage type wall units etc. 4+ years ago and they still work and look great. Plus, when they go to move, they can toss them, leave them, sell them, donate them and not really feel like they wasted their money. I personally really like their kitchen and bath fixtures, etc. I've actually seen several downtown OKC spaces that obviously had IKEA pieces in them. Some of it is crap and some of it is pretty nice.

IKEA is nice, but there are many things I would rather see in OKC before IKEA. When I lived in Charlotte, I only went to the IKEA store a few times in the three years I was there. I wasn't really that impressed, but its still a fun place to shop.

As for metro size, Charlotte had 1.3 million in its metro in 2000 and it got its IKEA by the middle of the decade. Of course, the city was booming during that period, but its not as much of a longshot as you'd think. Plus, furniture isn't affected by liquor laws!

I live in St. Louis, which has almost 3 million people, and we were just rocked with the news that IKEA was building a store in KC and not in STL. The reason given was that IKEA draws from a trade area of about 250-300 miles, and for us that would mean taking in almost all of Illinois. Trouble is, there are already stores in Chicago which effectively service most of that state. In KC there was no competing store until you got all the way across to Denver or down to Dallas. In effect, STL is stymied for many years to come, as we now have stores 250 miles northeast and 250 miles due west. And, again, our population is almost 3 million. I'm afraid OKC will now fall in that same type of donut hole between Dallas and KC. Also they only build a few stores a year so they'll keep working on areas where you can't drive to an IKEA in 4-5 hours. It will be a long time before OKC gets an IKEA.

And yes, I am aware that Austin is less than 250 miles from Dallas. I have no explanation for that, unless they just saw a unique opportunity with the demographics of that area.

19. Default re: IKEA coming to OKC?

The idea that it is "crappy particle board stuff" is just not true. I can't speak for every piece of furniture in their store but I'm currently putting together a chest of drawers and it is wood, not particle board. (I have the splinters to prove it.)

I've bought several pieces of furniture from them that were real wood, not particle board, and they've held up great. They actually test their furniture for durability. Most everything I've seen in the IKEA furniture department is at least equal to low or mid-range Mathis Brother stuff. There does seem to be some furniture snobbery out there when you mention IKEA. It may not be family heirloom material, but it's good stuff for a good price.

For now it looks like an occasional trip to Frisco will have to suffice.

Quote Originally Posted by stlokc View Post
    And yes, I am aware that Austin is less than 250 miles from Dallas. I have no explanation for that, unless they just saw a unique opportunity with the demographics of that area.
    I think the Austin-San Antonio market was too big of a lure for them, they were given huge incentives by Round Rock and Williamson County so that is why it is on the north end of the Austin metro area, it is still 200 miles between Round Rock and Frisco and traffic through Dallas makes it seem further. The Denver store received large incentives from Centennial and Arapahoe County.

21. Default re: IKEA coming to OKC?

OK, so we just need to set up an incentive area in town. Which 'burb wants to take it on?

22. Default re: IKEA coming to OKC?

My money is on Moore.

Quote Originally Posted by mmonroe View Post
    My money is on Moore.
    It would be a great fit between Moore and Norman. IKEA generally needs a lot of undeveloped land because it's footprint is huge. Somewhere along I-44 on the north side might work as well.

24. Default re: IKEA coming to OKC?

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    It would be a great fit between Moore and Norman. IKEA generally needs a lot of undeveloped land because it's footprint is huge. Somewhere along I-44 on the north side might work as well.

Boo, northside, booo.

25. Default re: IKEA coming to OKC?

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    IKEA is nice, but there are many things I would rather see in OKC before IKEA. When I lived in Charlotte, I only went to the IKEA store a few times in the three years I was there. I wasn't really that impressed, but its still a fun place to shop.

As for metro size, Charlotte had 1.3 million in its metro in 2000 and it got its IKEA by the middle of the decade. Of course, the city was booming during that period, but its not as much of a longshot as you'd think. Plus, furniture isn't affected by liquor laws!
    Charlotte already had 1.5 million in its metro in 2000.

Thread Information