Widgets Magazine
Page 13 of 63 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Uptown / 23rd District

Default Re: Uptown 23rd Development.

Didn't Nelson's group purchase the current EMSA records building at 10th and Hudson? I was under the impression a Fassler Hall type concept was going in there.

Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post
    Didn't Nelson's group purchase the current EMSA records building at 10th and Hudson? I was under the impression a Fassler Hall type concept was going in there.
    There was a rumor they might be going into that building but it has not been sold.

Also, have they bought any buildings in the past? I would think he would need the money to keep expanding rather than plowing it into real estate.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Agree, I'd love to see Fassler Hall in OKC.

Nelson might not want to cannibalize the McNellie's business in Midtown and 23rd really needs a destination hang-out.

But either location will not doubt be a huge success.
    You don't really cannibalize business when building another bar next to a bar...In fact, the places that seem to do the best are always located near other bars. The only two places to go in (NW) OKC if you want to bar hop are Bricktown and Classen Circle (Speakeasy, Edna's, Hi-Lo, Drunken Fry). Anywhere else is a lone destination. It would be nice if Uptown and Midtown developed a more versatile "night-life scene" (read bar scene) that is walkable. It doesn't have to be 6th street, but it does need to be walkable.

I think a biergarten would go great at both places. It would probably make most sense if Tuck took the uptown location and Nelson took the midtown location, based on the location of their other concepts.

Tuck's out.
    I'm a huge fan of all of Elliot's places..he'll do great at either location if he decides to move forward.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tuck View Post
    Tuck's out.
    I'm a huge fan of all of Elliot's places..he'll do great at either location if he decides to move forward.
    If I may ask, why no biergarten? Just not interested?

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyOne View Post
    If I may ask, why no biergarten? Just not interested?
    Just not interested at this time. Also, wanted to be clear that we aren't in conversations regarding these 2 spots.

Pretty much all of Nelson's and Blake ewings (the max, joe mamas pizza etc) are all located within blocks of each other. Instead of cannibalizing their sales, they have created an awesome entertainment district.

Me personally, I'd rather go to an area with many options than drive to a single isolated bar.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Pretty much all of Nelson's and Blake ewings (the max, joe mamas pizza etc) are all located within blocks of each other. Instead of cannibalizing their sales, they have created an awesome entertainment district.

Me personally, I'd rather go to an area with many options than drive to a single isolated bar.
    I've been saying it for a long time. OKC lacks authentic entertainment areas with multiple bar options. I don't count Bricktown because of its touristy feel. I'd say Tulsa has 4 districts (Brookside, Cherry Street, Blue Dome, Brady) better than OKC's best. I expect this to change soon as Plaza District, Midtown, and maybe even Western, 23rd street, Automibile Alley could see continued expansion. I don't see the Edna's area or Paseo growing though.

Quote Originally Posted by KilgoreTrout View Post
    I've been saying it for a long time. OKC lacks authentic entertainment areas with multiple bar options. I don't count Bricktown because of its touristy feel. I'd say Tulsa has 4 districts (Brookside, Cherry Street, Blue Dome, Brady) better than OKC's best. I expect this to change soon as Plaza District, Midtown, and maybe even Western, 23rd street, Automibile Alley could see continued expansion. I don't see the Edna's area or Paseo growing though.
    Plaza and Midtown definitely have the most potential (and maybe Deep Deuce, but likely not). The problem with Western is the number of churches and schools that make the 300 yard issue something that will make it difficult for bars to press north of 44th. I do think the Classen Circle area, if OKC would lighten up on the requirement for parking, could be similar to Rainey Street in Austin, and I think it would make a nice connection to the rest of the Western Corridor.

23rd between Lee and Robinson. would be ideal for entertainment development. Shoot, 5 or 6 more bars, and you might be able to convince Tuckers to stay open til 2AM ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post

Good points.

We really need a couple of good local bar districts.

11. Default Re: Uptown 23rd Development.

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    You don't really cannibalize business when building another bar next to a bar...In fact, the places that seem to do the best are always located near other bars. The only two places to go in (NW) OKC if you want to bar hop are Bricktown and Classen Circle (Speakeasy, Edna's, Hi-Lo, Drunken Fry).
    Don't forget 39th Street.

But actually you're overlooking Midtown. One could feasibly park once and hit McNellie's, Louie's, Cafe do Brasil's rooftop bar, Iguana, etc. Plus Plaza District now has Saints and The Mule.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84 View Post

But actually you're overlooking Midtown. One could feasibly park once and hit McNellie's, Louie's, Cafe do Brasil's rooftop bar, Iguana, etc. Plus Plaza District now has Saints and The Mule.
    Its a good start, but doesn't compare to Tulsa's entertainment districts, sadly. We'll be there someday! And by someday I mean someday very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84 View Post

Really you're just talking McNellie's and Louie's because Cafe do Brasil's rooftop bar is only open occasionally, and the other places could not in any way be considered in the same district. Iguana is not even a bar.

If you got dropped off in Tulsa's Blue Dome you could easily walk to Fassler Hall, the Dust Bowl, Arnie's, Woody's, the Max, McNellie's, Enso, Electric Circus, and a number of restaurants with bars (e.g., El Guapo's rooftop bar, Joe Momma's live music, Back Alley Blues live music, Yokozuna) if you want to include those. As far as I know, all of these places are local. There's nothing in OKC comparable. This district is also only a few blocks from the Brady District, which has Sound Pony,the Hunt Club, Caz's, Crystal Pistol, and several other places all next to Cain's. OKC needs this and I hope it's on the horizon.

You have to be fair to Bricktown here. I know they are not always popular on this board, but they are the best place for walkable nightlife, and rather than ignoring it as though it were not, it may be better to put ideas out about how it could be better.

As far as 23rd goes, as it stands, the district is heavily weighted to daytime/evening use rather than evening/nighttime use. I would be unbelievably thrilled to find out that Wade Starr restaurant group couldn't get their ducks in a row for Tower and that a music venue is made in its place along with a strip of niche bars like Granddad's, some with the capability of performing live music.

15. Default Re: Uptown 23rd Development.

Uptown23 posted about a new awning on the old Ed Stamps building. Can somebody snap a pic for the out of towner(s)?

I noticed in Land Sales in the DOK today that the Hotel Motel Liquidators sold. That's superb news.

kudos to whomever composed that graphic. Nicely done!

HangryHippo Guest

The website could use a little work, but nice to see the branding efforts.

Has anyone heard the latest on this double-decker McDonald's?

Quote Originally Posted by MDot View Post
    Idk. I'm anxious to try their McDouble though.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Idk. I'm anxious to try their McDouble though.
    I am too. That's why I'm even curious on what's the latest. Lol

HOLY CRAP THAT IS AWESOME!!!!! If OKC is one of the few cities in the WORLD to have one sign me up. Plus I love McDonalds even though I don't eat there much. Please tell me this is still happening. lol

There is another old thread on this somewhere. I talked to the operator a month ago and he said supposed to start this month. This month is about over and nothing yet. They have a rendering inside the lobby though.

Here's the thread on the McD's:

23rd and Penn McDonalds - OKCTalk

Thread Information