Widgets Magazine
Page 124 of 217 FirstFirst ... 2474119120121122123124125126127128129174 ... LastLast
Results 3,076 to 3,100 of 5410

Thread: Convention Center

Blog Entries

Default Re: Convention Center

The $30 millions that was to move the substation initially should satisfy the land requirements. Now IIRC the city set aside $13 million for the land purchase for the convention center?

We've got this...

Wasn't REHCO the party that asked for the negotiations to move to e. domain proceedings?

Quote Originally Posted by Motley View Post
    Wasn't REHCO the party that asked for the negotiations to move to e. domain proceedings?

Not really in the know, but I think they wanted the 400 Reno property(north side) that the City bought earlier from Fred Jones Co. considered as a price comparison.
    Anyway I'm the sure the City will have to throw a bone in.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    The powerful people involved with this project want that site. I don't think there is another one that is even close to satisfying them. So, with REHCO now willing to negotiate, I think they'll find a way.

I think you are right. Rumor has it REHCO is not asking for any reparations for the legal fees (substantial) for defense on the E. domain issue.
    I hope they can come to a reasonable agreement, monies, trade or other.
    I'd have to look, but I'm not sure you can get attorney fees for defending an eminent domain issue. My guess would be that you can't.

Yeah, maybe you are right.
    I better not say anymore.

I learned from a very good source that the re-nogiated deal for the REHCO / Bob Howard site is not going well; that the sides are still pretty far apart.

I believe the City has proposed trading out the Cox Site for the REHCO land; may be offering some cash as well but not completely sure of the details.

I was told "this is not a good deal for the City" and while the deal isn't dead, it seems insiders are now somewhat pessimistic.

Also was told that the powers that be would only really consider two other sites: Cox Center and the East Core to Shore site, and that they would almost certainly just bite the bullet on the Cox site with the 2 to 3 years of lost business because they don't want to go south of the boulevard.

Interesting. They think the Boulevard is a great idea, yet won't make an investment south of it other than the Park.

I wonder if they must think it is a "barrier".

^

Just too far from all the hotels and everything else.

Well, using the Cox site would be a dream come true. Get rid of that awful building, hopwfully restore the grid and have a site about as close to everything as you could hope.

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    Well, using the Cox site would be a dream come true. Get rid of that awful building, hopwfully restore the grid and have a site about as close to everything as you could hope.
    Agreed. It will just mean a short-term economic hit to downtown. Question is, how big of a hit will it be? Long-term, the Cox site it is the best possible site.

While I agree the cox site is as close to as good of a site as possible for it to exceed but I will always think what that block could have been in terms of new mid-high rises and bridging the CBD to bricktown.

It's the best possible site for the convention center but IMO not at all the best decision for OKC.

It cuts off the much-needed expansion of the CBD and the Cox site was going to be redeveloped anyway right after the CC was finished.

Would much rather see this very valuable and important property developed by private developers instead of yet another publicly owned super block.

Does the Cox site allow for future expansion? One thing I have noticed about convention centers, they are always needing to add more space. If Cox is chosen, will OKC be looking for another site in say, 20years?

After thinking a minute, I suppose they could move the arena and then use the arena site for future expansion needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Would much rather see this very valuable and important property developed by private developers instead of yet another publicly owned super block.
    Agree. Really wish the swap for the Cox site would work. Cox is the most prime spot in all of downtown for a private mixed-use development.

And remember, the City just paid consultants a bunch of money and they were explicit that the Cox site should be high-rise office and some mixed use, with the grid restored. Talked a lot about the need for expansion of the CBD.

Of course, that won't matter at all when a few powerful people exert their will. If need be, they'll just commission the same group to provide the answer they want.

Also, keep in mind the Cox Center is the largest public garage in the City.

Imagine taking those spaces completely away for at least two years. It would be crippling to several businesses.

They would have to do some sort of temporary parking farther away and then probably run shuttle buses.

Not to mention the elimination of a major tax driver in the city could actually cause MAPS3 to be short in its collections, in addition to wreaking havoc on the city budget.

Unless there was some way to continue conventions at the COX even under a limited basis while construction was going on, I'd be against this.

If the people who want this are so hellbent on getting it at the REHCO site, I'd rather them just put the money where their mouth is and push for a MAPS3 extension to fund the difference.

I'm not sure why it's not mentioned here at all (or else I'm completely oblivious to it), but there's something like the Midtown PR firm that calls themselves the WestPark District OKC and they're pushing for the convention center to be over south of ... what? the new OG&E HQ? just east of the 21c Hotel? Here's their FB page: https://www.facebook.com/WestparkOKC. IT doesn't seem to be anything other than a half-hearted attempt, but it's interesting. It's clearly not one of the half-a-dozen under consideration, but maybe it should be.

Different name but I believe that is the Bluementhal site which they have really been pressing to be considered.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

Just too far from all the hotels and everything else.
    Huh, and here I thought the CC was going to be this enormous economic engine that brought billions into the local economy - and they don't expect support businesses to build up around it?

Quote Originally Posted by Dubya61 View Post
    I'm not sure why it's not mentioned here at all (or else I'm completely oblivious to it), but there's something like the Midtown PR firm that calls themselves the WestPark District OKC and they're pushing for the convention center to be over south of ... what? the new OG&E HQ? just east of the 21c Hotel? Here's their FB page: https://www.facebook.com/WestparkOKC. IT doesn't seem to be anything other than a half-hearted attempt, but it's interesting. It's clearly not one of the half-a-dozen under consideration, but maybe it should be.
    Yes, that is the Blumenthal site:

Blog Entries

Use the Cox site; you don't have to have a totally new convention center. Just gut the arena, then the convention center along with the conference hotel could be built in phases.

Quote Originally Posted by hfry View Post
    Different name but I believe that is the Bluementhal site which they have really been pressing to be considered.
    Good alternative would be the Bluementhal site if you want a totally new cc built from the ground up.

City should tell REHCO to take their land and stick it where the sun doesn't shine & the moss doesn't grow...

Pete can you remind me what the planned development on that map just west of the city park is? Its the blue box just north of the maintenance facility.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    Huh, and here I thought the CC was going to be this enormous economic engine that brought billions into the local economy - and they don't expect support businesses to build up around it?

Let go JTF...

Thread Information