Widgets Magazine
Page 123 of 217 FirstFirst ... 2373118119120121122123124125126127128173 ... LastLast
Results 3,051 to 3,075 of 5410

Thread: Convention Center

Default Re: Convention Center

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Pioneer View Post
    I should say guy from the Skirvin, I think Marcus, and Don Karchmer. Adding 375 rooms to the Skirvin and turning the Skirvin itself into the Convention Hotel. Committee seems skeptical.
    They pitched something similar a couple of years ago. It was an interesting idea.

500 - 600 room-block-booking is a fairly common requirement for the the conventions Carrier is going after.

The proposer wants Populous to weigh their proposal. They are not giving a specific plan. They want the existing Cox CC evaluated further from an architectural perspective. Pointing out that Renassiance contract with the City to service the Cox is up or coming up.

Carrier says these ideas might "be more than challenging." Throwing serious doubt on these ideas. He is asking for Populous to consider it. McDaniel pointing out that the city already owns the property. Potentially "saving" $13 million. Scarramucci seconds sentiments by both Carrier and McDaniel. Committee says to have Populous look at it.

Nothing to report on budget as nothing is being built yet. lol

Gary Marrs- accelerated schedule regarding Cox reuse site also beeds to consider bookings that might have already be made that would be lost. And lost overall revenue. $13 million for the land might not compensate for the liabilities. It was such a concern in the original scoring that the idea was simply eliminated. Susan Hooper floating the new Expo building at the fair as a potential solution. Carrier says that it is not ideal as there is no separation. It is just one big room.

Gary Gregory getting up asking question about the process.

Todd says he is willing to meet with Gregory and the Planning Department next week to evaluate Blumenthal and area development concept.

Avis Scarrammucci asking about OKC Boulevard potentially being a barrier between sites.

Meeting over.

Thanks for all that UP!

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Pioneer View Post
    Avis Scarrammucci asking about OKC Boulevard potentially being a barrier between sites.
    Gee, it's almost like building a highway through downtown immediately after getting rid of the old highway through downtown might be a bad idea in terms of development possibilities.

I took the boulevard exit a couple of days ago and all I could think was: 'This is just like what was here before with a lower speed limit.'

It's really bizarre and nonsensical.

It's great for drag racing though! I must say that ODOT has done a dandy job creating an isolated, elevated, double lane to test out muscle cars.

Just re-read the thread and sorry for all of the typos. All done on the phone off the cuff. I felt like an a** typing and looking at my phone the entire time. Love for OKC Talk goes far. lol

Just to reemphasize a few things, apparently the Planning Department was gone to a conference in Seattle. Apparently the Populous folks weren't there either. The most significant elements were the Skirvin/Karchmer deal and Gary Gregory pressing for a meeting with staff to consider the Blumenthal area. Noting on their Facebook page for the "Westpark" concept that they have proactively extended our streetcar line to show how they would see it connecting the area. Obviously there is a cost and route legibility issue with those ideas. TIF? Really curious to see if this consortium of folks has any traction with City Staff... particularly Cathy O'Connor.

Nice reporting!

I bet Populous is content.

U.P. said Chris Fleming was at the meeting again yesterday.

I'm increasingly sure they are going to end up on the original site and that's already been pretty much pre-decided.

Isn't the price tag for the original site ridiculously expensive?

I don't believe REHCO ever asked for that price.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    I don't believe REHCO ever asked for that price.
    What price did they ask for?

My understanding it wasn't discussed. City just decided to go the eminent domain route.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    My understanding it wasn't discussed. City just decided to go the eminent domain route.
    That was kinda my point. It appears that we already know what the market price would be based on what other properties were getting per sq. foot. If we know the market price is x, do you know something about the current owners willing to leave millions on the table? They don't have to ask for anything if they know what they can get for it.

What other properties? Stage Center or just to the south of it?

My understanding is that the City approached REHCO with a low-ball price and then could never get them to counter. So, it went to eminent domain.

During that process, REHCO submitted comps that would have supported a $100 million price tag; at the same time the City was making a case with lower comps.

Since that all blew up and the two sides have cooled off, I believe REHCO has talked to them about what they would accept (something around $30 million) and while that is still well north of MAPS budget, the City has been working on various ways of bridging that gap.

The powerful people involved with this project want that site. I don't think there is another one that is even close to satisfying them. So, with REHCO now willing to negotiate, I think they'll find a way.

Still very uncomfortable that all this is going on completely outside the public meetings, but that's the way this has gone from the outset and there is an argument that complex deals like this can only happen in this way.

The powerful people involved with this project want that site. I don't think there is another one that is even close to satisfying them. So, with REHCO now willing to negotiate, I think they'll find a way.

I think you are right. Rumor has it REHCO is not asking for any reparations for the legal fees (substantial) for defense on the E. domain issue.
    I hope they can come to a reasonable agreement, monies, trade or other.

Thread Information