Widgets Magazine
Page 122 of 217 FirstFirst ... 2272117118119120121122123124125126127172 ... LastLast
Results 3,026 to 3,050 of 5410

Thread: Convention Center

Default Re: Convention Center

Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    My guess is the ORIGINAL site picked; although they may be considering S. of the PEAK.

I wouldn't bet against you.

So I guess the next "big" meeting is Tuesday. I expect them to eliminate at least half of the sites and follow a similar process as the first one. This one just happens to be "accelerated".

Real question, how much influence does the subcommittee now have and how much of this is going to be staff orienting this project towards the site that stays within budget and is acceptable to the city council. You can bet that they are sending trial balloons up the ladder before coming out with any real recommendations. And that's ok. Just going to be interesting if this moves forward as one "block" or if there will be significant differences of opinion.

What good does picking the same site do?

If it pleases TPTB, that is all the good some might feel is necessary.

Even if it is picked, they still can't afford it. To re-enter negotiations didn't require a re-evaluation because none of the facts will have changed. In fact, a reselection of the same site will just reinforce the value of the land.

Unless they found something else that works. Perhaps a land trade not on the table before. Perhaps a OKC pays more than they want but the landowners agree to go down certain roads that involve depositions, etc.

This is the pet project for some. It has already been treated somewhat differently. That is likely to continue.

7. Default Re: Convention Center

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Pioneer View Post
    So I guess the next "big" meeting is Tuesday. I expect them to eliminate at least half of the sites and follow a similar process as the first one. This one just happens to be "accelerated".

Real question, how much influence does the subcommittee now have and how much of this is going to be staff orienting this project towards the site that stays within budget and is acceptable to the city council. You can bet that they are sending trial balloons up the ladder before coming out with any real recommendations. And that's ok. Just going to be interesting if this moves forward as one "block" or if there will be significant differences of opinion.
    If you have a rogue subcommittee that is not acting in the favor of the overall MAPS 3 program, then Mayor Mick needs to be a leader and take action. They serve at his pleasure. That goes for any subcommittee, and I'm not saying that I know that to be the case here because I hope it's not.

We will see what site is picked...it's truly anyone's guess.

If you can get this to work Bill Crum is streaming from the convention center committee meeting that starts at 3:30.

http://mrk.tv/1HgAr5e

Is it only available with mobile? I guess I will find out at 3:30

Yeah, I don't know if it's working or not. I've been seeing the same still image of the floor, the bottom of a chair, and someone's foot for ~15 minutes now.

I am sitting in the meeting.

panorama
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	758 
Size:	8.84 MB 
ID:	10672  

Presentation from Robbie Kienzel (Planning Department) on the eligibility for 1% of the project being used for art.

There's a lot I find amusing about that picture, not the least of which is Urban Pioneer scanning the room with his phone to take a panorama.

lol

As much as I think people love art and appreciate Robbie, I think there is a sense in the room with some folks that this possibly the least important issue of the moment.

Populous coming in next week to work with staff. Mike Carrier not happy with the followup meeting date. Sounds like this is going to be a discussion oriented meeting...

The 30th meeting being more discussion and feedback.

McDaniel- finds it motivating to move forward and accommodating the fastest schedule possible. McDaniel- not going to postpone meeting so that Carrier can be there.

The meeting on the 30th is to go through the results of analysis and obtain feedback from the Subcommittee before there is an actual vote... trying to make the July 7th deadline.

Todd- going to pare it down to 3 to 4 sites and make suggestions at the next meeting. All the Planning Department is gone today to Seattle.

1. streetcar route location
    2. overall site strengths
    3. eligibility for TIF

New ranking criteria added

Guy is making a pitch to expand the Skirvin, build an adjacent tower, readapt use of existing Cox.

I should say guy from the Skirvin, I think Marcus, and Don Karchmer. Adding 375 rooms to the Skirvin and turning the Skirvin itself into the Convention Hotel. Committee seems skeptical.

Roy Williams and Mike Carrier asking how they could possibly be a dedicated hotel. Guys is making a pitch. Carrier says that some conventions require more than 600 rooms under one roof. A consortium of multiple properties probably doesn't easily answer these concerns. Carrier emphasizing that the ability to room-block-book several years in advance is required to be able to gain larger conventions.

Thread Information