Widgets Magazine
Page 121 of 217 FirstFirst ... 2171116117118119120121122123124125126171 ... LastLast
Results 3,001 to 3,025 of 5410

Thread: Convention Center

Blog Entries

Default Re: Convention Center

I don't think less than half. 4-lanes total and curb parking on both sides plus median I think?

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    Why?
    I guess I didn't know what you meant by a convention center / public school hybrid.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    I guess I didn't know what you meant by a convention center / public school hybrid.
    Just that: A facility that houses both the convention center and a public school. I don't understand why that means Rex has to come down? Obviously this would be for 7-12.

The city of San Diego recently built a combination library and charter school downtown in an attempt to leverage costs for the facility. If you did a charter school that centered on the hospitality trade/culinary training with the convention center/hotel, it might be a workable idea.

The school would not be demo if the CC was on that site. The School is on another site.

The San Antonio CC has a beautiful concert hall that they use to host their 20,000+ music convention (TMEA) every year, one could be incorporated for the school and the convention facility.

I am sure elementary school parents don't want convention goers mingling with their children.

Blog Entries

If this were done, not that I'm sold on the idea just yet, I presume it would be a middle school or mid-high to fill the coming missing niche downtown.

9. Default Re: Convention Center

As for bridging the gap between the city & REHCO; I wonder if any fractional ownership in the convention hotel could be offered (if a city owned option is chosen).

10. Default Re: Convention Center

Quote Originally Posted by jccouger View Post
    I support Mike Adams & the North Maps park site! A better convention center, a better (but smaller) maps park & better areas left for private development. Count me in!
    We have a plan for a park. It could be better, but at least it is hardly lacking in elements and opportunities. To grow the CC project even more at the direct expense of the park is insane.

I do NOT like the Blumenthal's site. With that idea, now the CC project is taking a swing at leveling another neighborhood of downtown. Nowhere is safe from the convention center committee's wreckage path. The only thing that we do know is that if it's an underutilized site with no infill potential, the CC doesn't want it; If it's a great site with exciting redevelopment/preservation potential, the CC is headed there next!

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    If we were to go with the Reno&Dewey site, would it be worth considering a Convention Center/Public School hybrid? It would be a scheduling nightmare, and maybe so much so that it's totally impractical, but an interesting thought none the less.
    Let's cut this idea off at the pass. Thousands of strangers mingling with hundreds of children or teenagers is a non-starter, and that's before you even get to the issue that conventions frequently run during the week, in the exact same timeframes that schools have classes. I don't think I've ever been to a convention that wasn't Fri-Sun, Sun-Wed, etc. with sessions from 9-5-ish. Nice out of the box thinking, sure, but no.

12. Default Re: Convention Center

Quote Originally Posted by mkjeeves View Post
    I've thought all along this is just political theater.
    To get more funding.

13. Default Re: Convention Center

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Let's cut this idea off at the pass. Thousands of strangers mingling with hundreds of children or teenagers is a non-starter, and that's before you even get to the issue that conventions frequently run during the week, in the exact same timeframes that schools have classes. I don't think I've ever been to a convention that wasn't Fri-Sun, Sun-Wed, etc. Nice out of the box thinking, sure, but no.
    Actually, you stand corrected because the CC committee deems the CC to be the crown jewel of not only MAPS 3, let alone the MAPS program, but in fact it is the crown jewel of OKC. This city has never built anything as remarkable and amazing as a convention facility. Those kids in the Rex Downtown Elementary should be so lucky as to be surrounded by large conventions. They will surely see testing scores and success outcomes go through the roof by having a massive CC vomit all over the small, mere $12 million building.

The only negative impact is the existence of other uses, possibly even -gasp- non-office uses, that may briefly surround the convention center in the beginning. The CC is the highest and best use that anyone could imagine for a site in downtown OKC. With the skyrocketing values (proof of success) of vacant lots, it makes sense that the CC may want to go after real estate closer into the downtown core, where things may actually be a lot cheaper. First National can be acquired in a Sheriff's Sale. Other towers can be acquired for $2-5 million. We could kill two birds with one stone and use the CC project to clear out some even worse old junky buildings.

Whether it takes any of the mentioned sites OR perhaps even all of them (dream BIG!), we need to embrace this CC's real goal of "Growing with pride!"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhXaPSz8Sto

Let's cut this idea off at the pass. Thousands of strangers mingling with hundreds of children or teenagers is a non-starter, and that's before you even get to the issue that conventions frequently run during the week, in the exact same timeframes that schools have classes. I don't think I've ever been to a convention that wasn't Fri-Sun, Sun-Wed, etc. with sessions from 9-5-ish. Nice out of the box thinking, sure, but no.
    Convention goers hate walking, but they LOVE rowdy teenagers.

San Diego has two downtown charter schools. One is in Horton Plaza, a large open air mall for tourists and in the heart of the downtown business towers, and located at one end of the Gaslamp, the cities main bar and restaurant row for tourists and conventioneers. The second is in the new library and learning center, a mecca for homeless, located across the street from Petco Park and, gasp, two blocks from the convention center. Doesn't get more diverse and crowded than those areas.

Being in the immediate area is not really the same thing as a "facility that houses both the convention center and a public school". I assume that means the same building with interior spaces reusable for both, otherwise what would be the point?

NM. got lost.

Keep it up Spartan. You're on a roll today. Good stuff.

Kerry, Where did you see the 200 million development mentioned by Steve? I must have missed it so I was hoping you had a link or remembered what article(or twitter) it was in?

It was in a tweet by Steve.

Being in the immediate area is not really the same thing as a "facility that houses both the convention center and a public school". I assume that means the same building with interior spaces reusable for both, otherwise what would be the point?
    Obviously there would be certain things that would be unequivocally separated: Run of the mill classrooms, offices, etc. are not going to be used by convention goers.

But larger type facilities, there may be opportunities for access from both convention/school: gymnasiums, theaters/performing arts centers, dining halls, kitchens, certain laboratories.

Again, I'm not saying it's a slam dunk, but I figured I'd float the idea out there in case people who are very knowledgeable about either conventions or school logistics (and not "I have a kid in school" or "I go to a couple conventions a year" type people) can think of some synergies created by the idea.

What, so the experiences of having gone to lots of conventions and being familiar with the room use requirements is useless? Nothing about a middle school or even high school facility is going to combine well with a convention center, the necessary space requirements are just too different. All you'd end up with is a facility that works poorly for one or both of its intended uses.

What, so the experiences of having gone to lots of conventions and being familiar with the room use requirements is useless? Nothing about a middle school or even high school facility is going to combine well with a convention center, the necessary space requirements are just too different. All you'd end up with is a facility that works poorly for one or both of its intended uses.
    Another issue, is that middle and high schools are built to keep people out. Which is the complete opposite of what a convention center is trying to accomplish.

At this late date, I wonder if the area just east of the highway has been fairly considered. It seems that ground would be much more affordable, close enough to brick town to support lunch/dinner trade, (especially if trolley could be extended nearby), close enough for other games concerts, and also provide easy auto access.

There are surely enviro remediation issues, might not be cheap to extend trolley, not at ground zero downtown etc.

Still, seems we might get good bang for the buck going east just a bit.

My guess is the ORIGINAL site picked; although they may be considering S. of the PEAK.

Thread Information