Widgets Magazine
Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: 2028 Olympics in OKC

Default Re: 2028 Olympics in OKC

I believe it will just be whitewater.

But that "just" is still going to be incredible for OKC.

I already have friends from both coasts wanting to come to stay with me.

2. Default Re: 2028 Olympics in OKC

It's so funny how wildly excited I am for something 5 years from now. So much can happen in 5 years and my life will look so different but regardless, I feel like a 7 year old on Christmas Eve waiting to hear about these events.

3. Default Re: 2028 Olympics in OKC

you're not alone in those thoughts or feelings. OKC just keeps on getting better and BETTER! !!
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

ICF signs new agreement with Riversport Foundation as Oklahoma City waits on Los Angeles 2028 confirmation
    By Owen Lloyd Friday, 13 October 2023

The International Canoe Federation (ICF), American Canoe Association (ACA) and Oklahoma City's Riversport Foundation have signed an agreement that, it is claimed, is set to "reshape the landscape of canoe sports in the United States" before the 2028 Olympic Games in Los Angeles.

The partnership is centred around high-performance objectives, including strengthening high-performance activities in the US, attracting international communities for high-performance training camps, and hosting world-class events.

"Collaborating with venue owners, local authorities, and our national federation is a critical move to take our sport to new heights in a nation where millions participate in paddling every day," said ICF vice-president Lluis Rabaneda.

"This partnership underscores our resolute commitment to the promotion of canoe sports through world-class venues.

"Oklahoma's track record as a top-tier host for ICF competitions is undeniable, and this agreement is set to further strengthen its standing on the international stage."

The involved parties are looking for the Riversport Rapids Whitewater Center to become the global hub for elite canoeing.

It is hoped by the ICF that canoe slalom competition at Los Angeles 2028 will be staged at the facility, despite being more than 1,300 miles outside of the city.

The venue has previously hosted the ICF Canoe Sprint Super Cup in 2021 and 2022 and has secured the rights to stage the 2026 Canoe Slalom World Championships.

"We have enjoyed a close cooperation with the ICF and ACA in recent years, with major events such as the ICF Canoe Sprint Super Cup and ICF Marathon World Championships coming to the city," said executive director of the Riversport Foundation Mike Knopp.

"However, this agreement will allow us stand out on the international stage and elevate our position within the world of canoe sport to the very top level."

The partnership was signed by all parties during the ICF Canoe Freestyle World Championships in Columbus in Georgia.

It aims to leverage the strengths of each organisation involved.

"This agreement not only elevates canoe sports but also exemplifies our dedication to nurturing local talent while promoting world-class facilities within the USA," said ACA executive director Beth Spilman.

OKC is going to be so different in 2028.

The proposal for the five sports (baseball/softball, cricket, flag football, squash, and lacrosse) was formally approved by the IOC,

https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/...-2028-olympics

Quote Originally Posted by CS_Mike View Post
    The proposal for the five sports (baseball/softball, cricket, flag football, squash, and lacrosse) was formally approved by the IOC,

https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/...-2028-olympics
    Just saw this!!

What percent chance does OKC have to host softball?

Quote Originally Posted by _Cramer_ View Post
    What percent chance does OKC have to host softball?
    I think it's pretty unlikely.

Even though L.A. does not have a 13,000-seat softball stadium (nobody does but OKC!), taking an existing stadium and adding some temporary seating wouldn't take much investment.

9. Default Re: 2028 Olympics in OKC

okc should go after softball since it's approved. That'd save LA lots of $$ so they can instead focus on Baseball.

OKC should also go after Rowing and (of course) is going after/getting Whitewater.

I know I've said these many times, but I do hope OKC can get these pillars since OKC has ready facilities, already hosts major annual events in these sports, and with Rowing - it would boost and accelerate crossroads of america projects that are already planned. That's the win, win, win Olympics are supposed to bring - cost efficiency, player competition, lasting legacy (capital). This can be achieved with OKC being official co-host (esp with these 3 sport pillars) while not taking anything major away from LA; they'll still have the major summer traditional sports.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

^

I'm sure Mayor Holt and OKC have pitched hard for all those events but everyone should be prepared to get whitewater and be thrilled about that.

Would still make us an Olympic city and as a community we could do a ton of things around that, like a small Olympic Village in Boathouse Row with merchandise, food, drink. That alone would be a blast -- meeting people from all over the country and world.

Being disappointed to only get white water would be a good kind of pain lol

I would be elated just to hear that a handful of Olympic teams were staying the night in Oklahoma City on their way to Los Angeles.

Quote Originally Posted by Mississippi Blues View Post
    I would be elated just to hear that a handful of Olympic teams were staying the night in Oklahoma City on their way to Los Angeles.
    No kidding! I thought it was awesome that we were named an official Olympic training center. Never in my wildest dreams imagined that we would be a co-host city. Would be badass to get softball and flat water stuff as well, but it’s insane that we’re getting anything. Really exciting stuff.

with baseball and softball in this Olympics .. I think to host softball in la they will have to build a new softball stadium

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    with baseball and softball in this Olympics .. I think to host softball in la they will have to build a new softball stadium
    This raises a really good question, Boulder, at least for me. I truly don't know, how difficult is it to go from a baseball field to a softball field and vice versa?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Blue Sky View Post
    This raises a really good question, Boulder, at least for me. I truly don't know, how difficult is it to go from a baseball field to a softball field and vice versa?
    if you’re in the middle of baseball season, probably pretty tough but otherwise I would think it was pretty easy. Just shrink it and add temporary stands in the outfield.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    if you’re in the middle of baseball season, probably pretty tough but otherwise I would think it was pretty easy. Just shrink it and add temporary stands in the outfield.
    I don't think it's that easy.

You'd have to completely switch out the field (softball is all dirt infield), the pitching circle is much closer in softball, the bases much shorter, the backstop in baseball is much further back, the dugouts would be in the outfield...

I've never seen this done, and it's probably due to these reasons and more.

They'd be far better off adding a bunch of temporary bleachers to an existing softball stadium.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I don't think it's that easy.

You'd have to completely switch out the field (softball is all dirt infield), the pitching circle is much close in softball, the bases much shorter, the backstop in baseball is much further back, the dugouts would be in the outfield...

I've never seen this done, and it's probably due to these reasons and more.

They'd be far better off adding a bunch of temporary bleachers to an existing softball stadium.
    There are 21 NCAA D1 softball programs in California each with a potential stadium.

There is a nice complex in Palm Springs where OU plays an early-season tourney most years.

That would probably make the most sense.

UCLA has a new stadium but it's small and in a very dense neighborhood.

20. Default Re: 2028 Olympics in OKC

The Olympic facility doesn’t need A nice field; it needs MULTIPLE fields. It needs multiple clubhouses. It needs TV production facilities. It’s a big build. They almost certainly won’t repurpose existing college facilities.

I would assume that an Olympic softball facility would have to have showers.

OKC could certainly make a strong pitch, not only because we have the best softball facilities in the world, but because we'd support the crap out of those events and make a lot of money for LA28.

Have no idea if we have a shot but we'll find out in a couple of months.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    I would assume that an Olympic softball facility would have to have showers.
    And we couldn't add them in 4 years. You're correct....

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    And we couldn't add them in 4 years. You're correct....
    Your point is what?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    OKC could certainly make a strong pitch, not only because we have the best softball facilities in the world, but because we'd support the crap out of those events and make a lot of money for LA28.

Have no idea if we have a shot but we'll find out in a couple of months.
    Pun intended?

Thread Information