Widgets Magazine
Page 12 of 29 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Quail Springs Mall

Default Re: Quail Springs Mall

Quote Originally Posted by brianinok View Post
    And if someone is so incredibly worried about the decor of a department store (and Von Maur doesn't make the cut) rather than the merchandise I assume you don't shop in any Oklahoma department stores. Well, the Dillard's at Penn Square might be fine, but after that and Von Maur they go downhill fast. Von Maur is great because it's new, clean, well-lit, fresh carpet, has seating spaces, and you can actually walk between racks of clothing (you often can't at Dillard's).
    I think the decor of the QSM Macy's and Dillard's is a legitimate complaint. Both stores have not been updated since at least the 1980s. The PSM locations are fine though in that department. As for Von Maur, I don't have any issues with the decor there. I can see why some might consider it dated, but its still pretty nice. For me, I haven't found a lot of merchandise I like there.

Von Maur is a plus, because it carries Brooks Brothers and Peter Millar. Neither QSM or Penn Square has a Brooks Brothers store. There is an outlet for Brooks out west, but that doesn't count and who wants to drive out there for that? The only unfortunate thing is the price, so I wait for sales.

3. Default Re: Quail Springs Mall

Quote Originally Posted by brianinok View Post
    ...And if someone is so incredibly worried about the decor of a department store (and Von Maur doesn't make the cut) rather than the merchandise I assume you don't shop in any Oklahoma department stores. Well, the Dillard's at Penn Square might be fine, but after that and Von Maur they go downhill fast..
    Guilty as charged. These days I generally find department stores (and even enclosed malls themselves) to be depressing anachronisms. I do occasionally shop at the PSM Dillard's and sometimes the PSM Macy's, owing to proximity and the fact that they are at least somewhat modern. But I generally do my darndest to stick with specialty stores, local options or the Internet.

Department stores hold little interest, and I think that the VM does nothing whatsoever to change this, especially considering how it clung to the golden era of mall department stores - the 80s - with its interior design choices.

We enjoy the customer service at Von Maur. It is nice to have the merchandise wrapped in tissue paper and placed in a paper bag with handles. It makes us feel appreciated that the clerk comes from behind the counter to hand us the purchases. Free gift wrap and mailing are very nice customer perks. The restrooms are comfortable and spacious.

The merchandise is ok and the sales prices are quite good, but I think the Von Maur customer service is second to none in this town.

One thing that I wish could be done at Quail Springs is utilize some of that empty property to the north of the mall and build a road out to 150th street. I believe this would help relieve a lot of the traffic tie up on Penn between 150th and Memorial, plus help with traffic exiting the mall to the north as well.

6. Default Re: Quail Springs Mall

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Guilty as charged. These days I generally find department stores (and even enclosed malls themselves) to be depressing anachronisms. I do occasionally shop at the PSM Dillard's and sometimes the PSM Macy's, owing to proximity and the fact that they are at least somewhat modern. But I generally do my darndest to stick with specialty stores, local options or the Internet.

Department stores hold little interest, and I think that the VM does nothing whatsoever to change this, especially considering how it clung to the golden era of mall department stores - the 80s - with its interior design choices.
    I don't mind the Penn Square Dillard's or Macy's. Big difference between those stores and the same stores at Quail Springs though.

Quote Originally Posted by jdcf View Post
    We enjoy the customer service at Von Maur. It is nice to have the merchandise wrapped in tissue paper and placed in a paper bag with handles. It makes us feel appreciated that the clerk comes from behind the counter to hand us the purchases. Free gift wrap and mailing are very nice customer perks. The restrooms are comfortable and spacious.

The merchandise is ok and the sales prices are quite good, but I think the Von Maur customer service is second to none in this town.
    I agree. The service at Von Maur is second to none. Not sure how people don't like the interior design, except for the track lights. To me it just seems like a very high end department store interior, and prefer it to any Macy's, Nordstroms or Dillard's I've ever been in.

Well it looks like yet another store is closing at Quail Springs Mall. Not a good sign for the future health of the mall. http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...list/83916028/

Quote Originally Posted by rlewis View Post
    Well it looks like yet another store is closing at Quail Springs Mall. Not a good sign for the future health of the mall. http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...list/83916028/
    Meh. Aeropostale was a low-cost alternative in the early and mid 2000s for teens who could not afford Abercrombie & Fitch. The writing on the wall has been there since logo t-shirts went out of style and probably even before that. I do agree though, its yet another chain leaving the mall that will probably be replaced by something like 'Cash N' Gold' or 'Dial N Style'.

QSM needs to re-invent itself. Their traditional model of targeting middle class families will be the death of the mall unless they change course.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    its yet another chain leaving the mall that will probably be replaced by something like 'Cash N' Gold' or 'Dial N Style'.

QSM needs to re-invent itself. Their traditional model of targeting middle class families will be the death of the mall unless they change course.
    They just added H&M which was a huge get for the entire city.

11. Default Re: Quail Springs Mall

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    They just added H&M which was a huge get for the entire city.
    Pete, out of curiosity, do we know how our first H&M is performing? Feels like they'd be doing pretty good business thus far.

Quote Originally Posted by rlewis View Post
    Not Surprising since Aeropostale has been closing stores left and right over the last few years, although the Shawnee Mall Aeropostale closing is a bit scary for the mall given that they've (SM) lost quite a few national chains in the past few years.

I've never once stepped foot in an Aeropostale so I think QSM will survive.

Another national retailer has pulled out of Quail Springs Mall. New York and Company is pulling out citing low sales. The exodus of national retailers from Quail Springs continues.

I've heard rumors that Gap is considering closing all of their stores at Quail as well when their lease is up. They already terminated their lease on the Hollister store at Quail.

Meanwhile local mom and pop retailers like Cash and Gold continue to pop up. A storm shelter show room recently opened up on the Von Maur end of the mall.

Quail is not doing well. Sales are way down across the mall and with the loss of national retailers, few are on the horizon to move in.

Yankee Candle pulled out years ago. Is there any updates on the vacant Macy's?

To be fair, most malls are doing poorly, as are their tenants.

We used to have 5 malls and are already down to 3.

Upscale malls continue to do well. It's more the middle end malls that market to families that are doing poorly.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    Yankee Candle pulled out years ago. Is there any updates on the vacant Macy's?
    Sorry, I meant another national retailer that was in the old Yankee Candle space. Can't think of it right now though.

Stillwater giving the nix to an enclosed mall at W. 6th and Sangre Rd. during the mid 1980s no longer looks as much as a bad decision.

Malls are a thing of the past, literally if retailers haven't started an exit strategy yet, then they are doomed as a business, e commerce is they only way to survive.

Or not, literally.

So is Quail going the way of Crossroads??

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerman View Post
    I think there is too much money around the area for that to happen. Once the area gets really dense, maybe we'll some more progression. If Quail does go down, I'd bet it'd be torn down and replaced with a lifestyle center in a heartbeat. Very prime piece of land.

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra View Post
    Malls are a thing of the past, literally if retailers haven't started an exit strategy yet, then they are doomed as a business, e commerce is they only way to survive.
    Just as the pendulum has swung way too far to the ecommerce side, it'll swing back to the brick-and-mortar side until an equilibrium is reached. The big clot of retailers in Norman is every bit a "mall" sans the roof, and I don't see them lacking for cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerman View Post
    No, the area is totally different so that won't happen. It will experience some issues, but not Crossroads issues.

Thread Information