Widgets Magazine
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Thread: OKC Retail Update

Default Re: OKC Retail Update

Quote Originally Posted by PWitty View Post
    Sweet. I stopped in the Microsoft Store last time I was in KC and it was pretty cool. I like them a lot more than the Apple stores because they have big XBOX/Kinect areas set up that you can try out. Of course I'm an XBOX guy, so maybe its just me.
    I've never been to one despite walking past the one in Lenox Square all the time. I could see myself liking a Microsoft Store more than an Apple Store just because of the XBOX setup.

Just looking at Louis Vuitton website and had myself a gander at the store locator and discovered Birmingham, Cincinnati, Aspen, and Nashville has one. That says to me, OKC could easily have one if we had a nice upscale shopping center that we obviously lack. Our prestigious, but average mall to other cities, next to a Walmart isn't going to cut it.

http://us.louisvuitton.com/front/#/e.../Store-Locator

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Just looking at Louis Vuitton website and had myself a gander at the store locator and discovered Birmingham, Cincinnati, Aspen, and Nashville has one. That says to me, OKC could easily have one if we had a nice upscale shopping center that we obviously lack. Our prestigious, but average mall to other cities, next to a Walmart isn't going to cut it.

http://us.louisvuitton.com/front/#/e.../Store-Locator
    Nichols Hills Plaza, updated, with the Triangle and Curve full would actually be the best location.

When you look at the kind of retail other cities of comparable size and economics such as Birmingham have compared to OKC, it's difficult to post anything positive. The most I can say is I hope this city is about to turn a long-awaited corner with the new ownership of Classen Curve/NHP and the development of Chisolm Creek.

5. Default Re: OKC Retail Update

Just looking at Louis Vuitton website and had myself a gander at the store locator and discovered ... Aspen, ... has one. That says to me, OKC could easily have
    Maybe the others, but I'm not sure how Aspen having one has anything to do with OKC. The number of celebrities and high net worth individuals that frequent the city would pretty clearly justify it.

Aspen also has Gucci. The number of high-income tourists enable them to support boutique retail a town that size wouldn't normally be able to. Charleston, SC is the same way, which has more upscale retail than Charlotte.

So, do retailers only look at rooftops and income in the immediate area when trying to decide on a location? I would think a simple look at how Whole Foods, Anthropologie and Lululemon would give us some credibility on the national side for retailers.

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    Nichols Hills Plaza, updated, with the Triangle and Curve full would actually be the best location.
    Really, I don't see why they couldn't locate downtown even. There are some really nice spots I've seen...

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Aspen also has Gucci. The number of high-income tourists enable them to support boutique retail a town that size wouldn't normally be able to. Charleston, SC is the same way, which has more upscale retail than Charlotte.
    Yeah.... I just realized Apsen has a Gucci store and Denver doesn't even have one. That is crazy. Aspen must really be a rich town. I would think Denver would get one waaaaaay before Aspen would.

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    So, do retailers only look at rooftops and income in the immediate area when trying to decide on a location? I would think a simple look at how Whole Foods, Anthropologie and Lululemon would give us some credibility on the national side for retailers.
    I'm not sure but Birmingham??? Is Birmingham even that nice of a city? I'll admit, I know less than nothing about that place, but I wouldn't think it would be that nice of a place?

Anyone here know the city that well?

I'm not sure but Birmingham??? Is Birmingham even that nice of a city? I'll admit, I know less than nothing about that place, but I wouldn't think it would be that nice of a place?

Anyone here know the city that well?
    Have you been to Memphis? Birmingham is a slightly wealthier version of Memphis. Very similar feel and demographics. Birmingham looks good on paper though because they have areas of very highly concentrated wealth like Tulsa does but on a larger scale. Overall OKC is stronger economically than Birmingham, but like has been discussed here numerous times, retailers live and die by the spreadsheet.

When you look at the kind of retail other cities of comparable size and economics such as Birmingham have compared to OKC, it's difficult to post anything positive.
    It's difficult for *you* to post anything positive.

There is plenty of positive movement in the local retail market of late with plenty more to come.

Have you been to Memphis? Birmingham is a slightly wealthier version of Memphis. Very similar feel and demographics. Birmingham looks good on paper though because they have areas of very highly concentrated wealth like Tulsa does but on a larger scale. Overall OKC is stronger economically than Birmingham, but like has been discussed here numerous times, retailers live and die by the spreadsheet.
    No sir. I have never been to Memphis. I suspect a Louis Vuitton will go to Tulsa first though if that is the case. I hope OKC rapidly expands it wealth and slows it's sprawl so that doesn't happen. I will be furious if Tulsa receives a Louis Vuitton.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    It's difficult for *you* to post anything positive.

There is plenty of positive movement in the local retail market of late with plenty more to come.
    You seem like you know your stuff when it comes to retail, how realistic do you think it is for us to get a Louis Vuitton store? Where do you think it would go? I hope Tulsa doesn't get one.

I don't really have any need for a Luis Vuitton store, but the locations mentioned don't really compare well to OKC. The Nashville location is in The Mall at Green Hills, which I loved to spend time at when I lived in Nashville. Green Hills is a densely populated, very wealthy area, surrounded by more wealth. Then, you have Franklin and Brentwood, both very close and both very wealthy.

Homes for sale in the Green Hills neighborhood: Nashville TN Real Estate - 394 Homes For Sale - Zillow

We don't have anything like that here, and I'm okay with that.

I am not aware of Louis Vuitton going to Tulsa and don't think it would unless they start seeing some serious higher-income population growth. Birmingham (like OKC) is a good deal larger than Tulsa.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Cotter View Post
    I don't really have any need for a Luis Vuitton store, but the locations mentioned don't really compare well to OKC. The Nashville location is in The Mall at Green Hills, which I loved to spend time at when I lived in Nashville. Green Hills is a densely populated, very wealthy area, surrounded by more wealth. Then, you have Franklin and Brentwood, both very close and both very wealthy.

Homes for sale in the Green Hills neighborhood: Nashville TN Real Estate - 394 Homes For Sale - Zillow

We don't have anything like that here, and I'm okay with that.
    Much like Aspen, they have a large celebrity congingent as well. Carrie Underwood and Lady Antebellum gotta get their handbags somewhere.

Just curious to the poster who noticed this. Are you wanting to shop at Louis Vutton or something? A lot of these high end fashion designers were/are hurt by the current economy so I don't expect them to expand anytime soon. If you are just itching for haute fashion I am fairly certain there is a small Chanel Store in Nichols Hills and Balliets sells Jimmy Choo and Prada.

Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post
    Much like Aspen, they have a large celebrity congingent as well. Carrie Underwood and Lady Antebellum gotta get their handbags somewhere.

Just curious to the poster who noticed this. Are you wanting to shop at Louis Vutton or something? A lot of these high end fashion designers were/are hurt by the current economy so I don't expect them to expand anytime soon. If you are just itching for haute fashion I am fairly certain there is a small Chanel Store in Nichols Hills and Balliets sells Jimmy Choo and Prada.
    I have to drive to Dallas anytime I want to shop there. I'm not super rich, so I won't be there all the time, but it would be nice to (a) have one so when I want to get pair of shoes or something, they're there (b) a status type of thing for OKC to have one.

Yeah.... I just realized Apsen has a Gucci store and Denver doesn't even have one. That is crazy. Aspen must really be a rich town. I would think Denver would get one waaaaaay before Aspen would.
    Aspen probably has more extreme wealth than Denver, definitely per capita even with part time residents, it is the destination ski resort in the US of the very wealthy. I believe they have the richest zip code in Colorado and many of the large houses outside of Aspen are pushing $30 million, some large estates with a lot of land have sold in the $60 million range. An average weekend type condo that "normal people" would look at there is 2-3 times higher than Vail or Breckenridge.

Aspen Real Estate & Homes - Aspen Snowmass Sotheby's International Realty

20. Default Re: OKC Retail Update

You actually make an excellent point. In any city, visitors create additional demand for retail, dining and services that does not necessarily exist in the local market. This is a basic tenet of the national Certified Tourism Ambassador program, which OKC participates in via the OKC CVB. That is, business and leisure travelers help support a higher quality of life for local residents. This is one more reason we should all be enthusiastic about efforts to bring more visitors to OKC.

Can someone post the body of the Journal Record article? I don't have login privileges.

Quote Originally Posted by EricGarcia View Post
    Can someone post the body of the Journal Record article? I don't have login privileges.
    That would be a copyright violation. The login lets you know they are serious.

Quote Originally Posted by EricGarcia View Post
    I will once I get my subscription back. I had issues with my card and had my subscription canceled. I need to resign up

25. Default Re: OKC Retail Update

It isn't a copyright violation if you just post body of the article and cite the source

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information