Widgets Magazine
Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Restaurants

Default Re: Old Restaurants

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    this was probably mentioned very early on in the thread but of all the restaurants I miss...Molly Murphy's ranks up there pretty high. It was just fun to go to and I don't think it would be possible to recreate the vibe now without it being ultra cheesy.
    I was a fan of Mollys in Tulsa. It was cheesy even then. Fortunately, I likes cheesey.

BlackmoreRulz,
    My wife and I ate at the Steak and Ale on NW 39th Expressway when we lived South, so I think it must have opened between 1975 and 1978.
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackmoreRulz View Post
    Not sure when it opened exactly but it was there in 1978, me and wifeypoo ate dinner there the day we were married.

3. Default Re: Old Restaurants

this was probably mentioned very early on in the thread but of all the restaurants I miss...Molly Murphy's ranks up there pretty high. It was just fun to go to and I don't think it would be possible to recreate the vibe now without it being ultra cheesy.
    You're right. Molly Murphy's truly was a product of its time.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    Ljbab,
    When did the Steak and Ale open? I don't remember it but I left South OKC in 1975. I don't remember Peaches either.
    C. T.
    This article is from January, 1980.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Steak and Ale.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	9.6 KB 
ID:	7695

Quote Originally Posted by Achilleslastand View Post
    My God Shotgun Sams used to have wonderful pizza. I wish someone would open using the same recipe.
    I read that they are reopening a Shotgun Sams in Tulsa. It opened a few days ago.

Northwest OKC Re: Old Restaurants

Thank you for posting the menu, I haven't seen that in a while. Is that an Alka Seltzer costume?

Quote Originally Posted by BlackmoreRulz View Post
    Had a great steak there once with the LOML.

Anyone remember Cattle Rustlers a couple of miles south of there? Ate 6 steaks one time when the whole crew went with the sole purpose of an eating contest. Loved their sourdough bread.
    I remember eating there. They had a location on 39th street too, West of Portland. I think the one on i35 was by Cattle Rustlers Inn. The restaurant is gone, but the inn is still there.

I think if it were opened now it would resemble something like Dick's Last Resort with characters. I worked there a long time and while I still think Molly's has a place in OKC it would have to be done right. People remember how much fun it was back in the day but not how bad it had gotten when it closed.

been meaning to try this place for a bit of molly's nostalgia: Magic Time Machine -M

A lot of people say that that was the original inspiration for Molly's. I don't know if it is true or not.

Prunepicker Guest

I remember a place in the 80's that had a Renaissance theme. It was in
    Dallas. There was jousting, too! I never went. The excitement and
    cuisine in Arlington was too much to pass up (Ranger baseball).

Medieval Times!

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    been meaning to try this place for a bit of molly's nostalgia: Magic Time Machine -M
    Quote Originally Posted by capt_john_97 View Post
    A lot of people say that that was the original inspiration for Molly's. I don't know if it is true or not.
    It was, the architect who did it and TaMolly's made many trips to Dallas, Austin and San Antonio to get the theme and style down. They did make some changes to the Molly's design so it was not an exact copy but it was definitely the inspiration. The Austin location closed right around the time I moved there in 2003, I think the Dallas and San Antonio locations are still open.

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    I remember a place in the 80's that had a Renaissance theme. It was in Dallas. There was jousting, too! I never went. The excitement and cuisine in Arlington was too much to pass up (Ranger baseball).

Medieval Times!
    It is still open in Dallas.
    {url=http://www.medievaltimes.com/dallas.aspx]Medieval Times - Dallas[/url]

Prow lounge was before my time, however, I know Elmer's well. He is still around, by the way.

Does anyone remember a place called Beauty's Cafe? I remember eating there, however, for the life of me, cant remember was it was.

Biznesschic,
    We seem to be about the same age, I went to the Prow Lounge often in the late 60's. As for Elmer's, my mother, freshly divorced, was a waitress there. You might enjoy my pictures. In the first picture she is the sixth from the right and in the second she is the sixth from the left.
    C. T.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ELMERS1.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	200.7 KB 
ID:	8437Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ELMERS2.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	199.5 KB 
ID:	8438
    Quote Originally Posted by biznesschic1959 View Post
    Prow lounge was before my time, however, I know Elmer's well. He is still around, by the way.

On Classen there's an old church that's apparently in the news right now because it's been declared a public nuisance. Back in the early 70's (maybe) there was a church, likely the same one, that had a new innovation in OKC dining - the salad bar! Please help us remember the name. Thanks.

Might have been an Episcopal church before it was a steakhouse and, later, The Bowery.

That was my thought but they tore that church down several years ago and it is an empty lot now. Was across from the 7/11. Not sure how it would be a public nuisance now.
    Quote Originally Posted by boscorama View Post
    Might have been an Episcopal church before it was a steakhouse and, later, The Bowery.

Wasn't it some type of Pre-New-Age-Gathering Point for Cutting Edge Ravers or Whatever a couple of decades back?
    Back when being a "Goth" was popular?
    Before they realized the importance of side air bags and not texting in traffic? =)

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    Wasn't it some type of Pre-New-Age-Gathering Point for Cutting Edge Ravers or Whatever a couple of decades back?
    Before they realized the importance of side air bags and not texting in traffic? =)
    When I was dancing there, texting hadn't been invented yet, and my cars didn't have air bags...

I believe you're talking about Napoleans nite club (circe 1975)

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    It was several clubs throughout the years but is an empty lot now so as someone stated I don't know what church they would currently be talking about.
    but the one that is now gone was called Inertia at one point and pandamonium I believe then later in life it re-opened in 2000 on New years even as Club Infinity. But Many Many Moons ago was a Gay bar called the Free Spirit.

I was on the crew that renovated the tower behind the gold dome, and ate at Someplace Else regularly. Decent food, but not great.

That was my thought but they tore that church down several years ago and it is an empty lot now. Was across from the 7/11. Not sure how it would be a public nuisance now.
    A balcony collapsed and hurt several people. Don't remember the year, but probably late 90s or early 2000s.

There was a restaurant in what would be the same parking lot as Outback on NW exp. It would have been just south and slightly east of the current Outback. I ate there a few times, but cannot remember the name. This would have been late 70s or early 80s. I think it was the same building as My Pi(Pie) pizza. It was a decent restaurant had lots of plants and posters and interesting things on the walls.

Thread Information